Why UPS drivers don't make left turns

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS announced earlier this fall that in order to meet growing holiday demand the company would operate on all cylinders the Friday after Thanksgiving. In the past, only UPS air operations ran that day; this year, the company’s trucks will be on the road as well.

One thing you won’t see those trucks doing while they’re out delivering packages? Make left turns.

How does UPS know that right turns are better? The company built a proprietary GPS system called Orion.

The thing is, when ORION calculates the most efficient route, it almost never routes a left turn.

When Yahoo Finance asked UPS’s Chief Commercial Officer, Alan Gershenhorn, about it he gave two additional reasons for ORION. The first is safety, the second is stoplights

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-ups-drivers-don-t-make-left-turns-172032872.html

Last edited:

9.5er

We must be on a different Orion program. I frequently have to make left hand turns. Then cross traffic to deliver a residential package. Or even worse pass by houses on my right side only to go the farthest house on the street and come back to deliver to them across the street. How is that for safety.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
UPS announced earlier this fall that in order to meet growing holiday demand the company would operate on all cylinders the Friday after Thanksgiving. In the past, only UPS air operations ran that day; this year, the company’s trucks will be on the road as well.

One thing you won’t see those trucks doing while they’re out delivering packages? Make left turns.

How does UPS know that right turns are better? The company built a proprietary GPS system called Orion.

The thing is, when ORION calculates the most efficient route, it almost never routes a left turn.

When Yahoo Finance asked UPS’s Chief Commercial Officer, Alan Gershenhorn, about it he gave two additional reasons for ORION. The first is safety, the second is stoplights

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-ups-drivers-don-t-make-left-turns-172032872.html
Spongebob-and-Patrick-Laughing_zpsbdaeddc2.gif
pineapple-express-laughing_zpsadfdd464.gif

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

I got a little bit of vomit in the back of my throat reading that malarkey.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That's friggin hilarious. I don't know they get away with lying to the press so badly. Orion does nothing BUT unnecessary left turns. So sad.

Packmule

I don't know anything about Orion except what I see on BC. When I took over my route 8 years ago, I personally began re looping it and mgt just makes the changes. I am the one who tries to avoid left turns, and no, it is not 100 percent.
The question on this post is "why?"
My question is, have you ever driven a motor vehicle in heavy traffic before?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I just read this article and honestly I'm dumbfounded. I'm on Orion and almost one third of my directives are left hand turns. Funny thing is most of them are stops that could be made with right hand turns later as I drive right back by them. I've had my route re-orioned five times with four rides by four different members of the various "Orion Teams". Anyhow my latest version is saying I should be able to do my route ten miles shorter but taking two hours longer. I know it makes no logical sense to me either but remember we are no longer here for our input but her for our output.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told by my Orion trainer that they deduced no increase in accidents, with left turns. I had mine set up to go right, to the end, turn left once and come back. Thats out the door, I go let all day long, same with backing.Although I dont do it nearly as much as Orion suggests. . Only when safe.

tourists24

The answer I always got from my ORION guy when he rode with me when I asked about the crazy increase in left hand turns: "it's the shortest way"

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you're intrested in making ORIAN match your DOL, ask your ride along about "cell routing". Basicly making the ORIAN system ignore its own algorithm for a certain neighborhood. Multiple that times your whole route, you begin to easily make thier compliance numbers by doing your normal delivery process.