Why UPS is helping Palo Alto same-day delivery startup Deliv raise $28M

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Non of these "couple hour" delivery company's will work. In the case they do, there will be tons of obstacles. It's just not feasible in my opinion. It's more talk than anything. Maybe UPS made headlines to up stock?
Same day delivery can be a HUGE money maker. They're at the beginning. But if they expand big time they can offer air service. Some businesses will pay huge money to send something from NYC to LA same day.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Okay so what? That just reduces our residential stops (assuming these amazon stores work) but make up for very little profit in some areas. Who's going to deliver the heavy business stops? Load that into your honda civic dude.
Not everybody is going to be delivering from a Honda Civic. The idea with this kind of thing is someone CAN deliver out of a civic. But in the end it is going to be someone who does it FT with a van.

HardknocksUPSer

Its going to be another one of those threads where people assume UPS is too big to fail.
Don't know about you but volumes been out the roof at my center lately? Not that UPS is too big to fail but how do you expect Honda civics to deliver the world? Would you let these crackhead drivers behind the desk of a bank? I wouldn't.

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't know about you but volumes been out the roof at my center lately? Not that UPS is too big to fail but how do you expect Honda civics to deliver the world? Would you let these crackhead drivers behind the desk of a bank? I wouldn't.

Alls I'm saying is who knows what the next big thing in delivery will be. Uber has just about killed the main stream taxi business. "Cheapest way" usually always prevails when it comes to the majority of customers.

HardknocksUPSer

Alls I'm saying is who knows what the next big thing in delivery will be. Uber has just about killed the main stream taxi business. "Cheapest way" usually always prevails when it comes to the majority of customers.
Understandable non the less no doubt.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Looks nothing like Surepost. This is a same-day delivery service. You order something from Macys, Target, Kohls, local retailer, etc., and someone brings it to your house/business within a couple of hours.

Why would their employees be union?

From the Deliv website:
"If you’ve got a vehicle, a smart phone, and a friendly, professional work ethic— we’ve got an opportunity for you. From day to day, you decide if and when you’ll be available for deliveries. When a call for delivery comes in, you pick up, you deliver, and you earn."
https://www.deliv.co/drivers/

Sounds like an opportunity for anyone with a flexible schedule that wants to earn some cash on an as-needed basis.
It was meant in that it will appear (or actually) that Union jobs are being circumvented.

Faceplanted

us who are full time drivers now will honestly probably be the last generation. I don't see a future for driving at ups.

I doubt there will be much full time jobs created at ups, they will wait for is to be retired and most deliveries will be contracted while ups handles air hub rentals to big companies and logistics. The union has our back for the most part, nowhere does it say they have to create more full time union jobs when we're gone.

HardknocksUPSer

us who are full time drivers now will honestly probably be the last generation. I don't see a future for driving at ups.

I doubt there will be much full time jobs created at ups, they will wait for is to be retired and most deliveries will be contracted while ups handles air hub rentals to big companies and logistics. The union has our back for the most part, nowhere does it say they have to create more full time union jobs when we're gone.
My center just hired 6 and other centers/hubs around the country are chomping at the bit to get new FT employees?

Faceplanted

My center just hired 6 and other centers/hubs around the country are chomping at the bit to get new FT employees?
Baby boomers are retiring and this new same day delivery is just starting up. We'll see if there is another recession in the next 5-10 years and this same day, Amazon contracting, ect takes off.

We are laying guys off at my hub many other are too

Returntosender

Did UPS fund this business, like how shark tank venture capitalist do. They own small share in company friend
Baby boomers are retiring and this new same day delivery is just starting up. We'll see if there is another recession in the next 5-10 years and this same day, Amazon contracting, ect takes off.

We are laying guys off at my hub many other are too
Two guys retired beginning of the year. They drive for Uber and make decent money. Vegas taxis putting up the fight of their lives.