Why? Why is it so important to put X amount of stops in helper DIAD?

S

splozi

Ok, RE the guy who said he knows why this is required but won't say because it's a really stupid reason, and that there's no need to know why...

Chances are, he -thinks- he knows why, but what he thinks -is- actually so stupid, that if he told us and turned out to be wrong, he would look foolish.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok, RE the guy who said he knows why this is required but won't say because it's a really stupid reason, and that there's no need to know why...

Chances are, he -thinks- he knows why, but what he thinks -is- actually so stupid, that if he told us and turned out to be wrong, he would look foolish.

The "guy" in question has more time in the restroom than you have on the job. I respect the "guy", am confident that he knows the reason and am satisifed when he says that there is no reason for us to know why.

This past Tuesday my helper, who is a preloader, was a no-show. He worked the preload, went home to change, fell asleep as he was sick and woke up several hours later. The center scrambled to find me a helper on short notice. When the new kid finally showed up (he got lost on the way), I pointed to the DIAD and asked him if knew how to use it. His reply was "What's that?" so we used my board exclusively that day.

S

splozi

The "guy" in question has more time in the restroom than you have on the job. I respect the "guy", am confident that he knows the reason and am satisifed when he says that there is no reason for us to know why.

This past Tuesday my helper, who is a preloader, was a no-show. He worked the preload, went home to change, fell asleep as he was sick and woke up several hours later. The center scrambled to find me a helper on short notice. When the new kid finally showed up (he got lost on the way), I pointed to the DIAD and asked him if knew how to use it. His reply was "What's that?" so we used my board exclusively that day.

It's really not much of an inconvenience to use a second DIAD for a small portion of stops. I agree with that. So, who cares, right? But, what I find entertaining is that they push THIS on you... and won't tell you why. But when it comes to legitimate policies, like safety, they preach about it but in the end expect you not to follow them for the sake of numbers.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

i didnt think inside part timers were allowed to work over 8 hrs

cino321

My helper scans whatever he delivers.

9 times out of 10 he has 20-40 more stops in his board than I do. I set up he delivers.

stealth8

My son has been my helper for the past 4 yrs while he has been in college. He is better at using his helper DIAD than I am with mine! I just wish I could let him drive! I'm going to miss him next year. This is my 32nd Christmas as a full-time pkg driver, maybe it should be my last!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It been the same here for the last several years.

When we first start bringing the helpers on, there is the big push to meet the 30-stop per helper board quota. Some years it has been 25; one year it was 35; usually it is 30. We get reminded in the PCM, we get OMS messages about it, blah blah blah. Its just another flavor of the week.

Once we get down to the final week or two...when the chaos really hits and the wheels are falling off and the sparks are flying...the quota is forgotten and the only thing that matters is getting rid of the packages in the most efficient manner possible and by any means necessary.

"The Plan" involves a pre-determined number of trained, DIAD-proficient helpers who are optimally deployed to a pre-determined number of routes.

"The Reality" involves 30% of those helpers quitting after 2 or 3 days, it involves 10 year-old DIAD III's with weak batteries that keep crashing, it involves replacement helpers with no DIAD training who show up 3 hours late to the wrong place, it involves drivers who wind up sharing helpers with each other, and it involves having to manually enter stops that were bagged up and left someplace for you without being put into your EDD.

Those of us who live and work in "the reality" have neither the time nor the desire to meet silly quotas in order to make our management look better on some silly report. We prefer to focus ourselves on things that actually matter...like getting the damn packages delivered.

UPSGUY72

My helpers don't touch the DIAD mine or there's unless I hand it to them to get a signature at a business.

Also the first forty stops I do is wit hthe helper DIAD then it get put in the back of the car so actually progress can be made delivering package instead of waiting for DIAD III to complete a function in slow motion.

kingOFchester

Oh but it is very very hush hush for whatever reason. Else we would be told

And that is what throws up a red flag. We are directed to do many many "questionable" tasks through out the work week. As far as I know, I have always been told the reason why we do X, Y and Z. The stops in the helper DIAD is the only thing that is kept from drivers.....on a GRAND scale. So there HAS to be a reason why it is kept a secret...got to be either
1) Drivers would be pissed
2) It is something dishonest that would paint UPS with a very ugly brush if it were made public.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And that is what throws up a red flag. We are directed to do many many "questionable" tasks through out the work week. As far as I know, I have always been told the reason why we do X, Y and Z. The stops in the helper DIAD is the only thing that is kept from drivers.....on a GRAND scale. So there HAS to be a reason why it is kept a secret...got to be either
1) Drivers would be pissed
2) It is something dishonest that would paint UPS with a very ugly brush if it were made public.

A more likely reason...is that some idiot who is waaaay up high on the UPS corporate ladder got it in his head that it made sense to require a certain number of stops in the helper boards, and nobody in management has the balls to confront him on his stupidity. Its a lot easier to placate idiots than it is to challenge them. We will probably be saddled with this stupid rule until the idiot in question finally retires; until then, changing the rule would involve the admission that the rule itself is stupid, and by golly we cant have any of that.

kingOFchester

A more likely reason...is that some idiot who is waaaay up high on the UPS corporate ladder got it in his head that it made sense to require a certain number of stops in the helper boards, and nobody in management has the balls to confront him on his stupidity. Its a lot easier to placate idiots than it is to challenge them. We will probably be saddled with this stupid rule until the idiot in question finally retires; until then, changing the rule would involve the admission that the rule itself is stupid, and by golly we cant have any of that.
could be,,,,very well could be the answer. But I would think that by now someone would of had the reason why.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son has been my helper for the past 4 yrs while he has been in college. He is better at using his helper DIAD than I am with mine! I just wish I could let him drive! I'm going to miss him next year. This is my 32nd Christmas as a full-time pkg driver, maybe it should be my last!

We have two drivers who use their sons as helpers. I would love too but mine is not a morning person.