Will Hoffa and Hall get the message?

A

anonymous6

I am hoping that the members get the message as well. I voted "yes", but this is too close for comfort. If all gets ratified and we have 5 years, consider this a warning to start preparing for 2018. It seems that no matter what is offered, more and more people think that they are getting screwed. Try convincing anyone in America that at 36+ an hour, you are getting screwed. You can leave all the other benefits like pension, healthcare and vacation out of the talk. Based off of the 36 bucks alone, they will think your a nutjob for expecting and thinking you deserve more. I am taking these close numbers as a reason to get my "house in order". Pay alot more than my minimum on my mortgage, dont incur any new debt and put money aside each week for the next 5 years. For every 20.00 a week saved in this next 5 years, you will save 5,100.00 for strength at the next negotiation.

I started doing this after the 97 strike. it was well worth it. I can retire early now and still be well off. do it.

stink219

Same thing from you 2 again so I'll give the same response. We're not even close to killing the goose that laid the golden egg. That goose is alive and kicking
and going strong. And that goose has the ability to give us the same great health care we've always had. Please stop with the silly scare tactics.
You know why I love math? Because its a science of exactitudes. Most people can do it themselves to see if I'm BSing. Let's face it, you have zero knowledge of what goes on behind the doors of that negotiating room. Do you think that it is a bunch of people just guessing? Actuaries, analyst and labor lawyers bud. Sure there is a negotiating team, but the first 2 deal with costs and sustainability.

iowa boy

And then!???
And then they lower PT starting wage and take away all PT pension and insurance!!! Then bump FT starting wage!

Duh.

The one thing part-timers need to remember is that UPS had the option of doing away with all part-time health care all together. Under Obamacare if you work less that 30 hours a week, the employer doen't have to provide healthcare and can refer its part time staff the the soon to be started health care exchanges. I think this is one of the reasons UPS wanted to move everyone to union healthcare as the latter would prevent an uprising within the part-time ranks about their healthcare and keep them quiet and out of the voting.

Just think how many millions UPS would save by not having to offer health care to its part time workforce? And if the gooberment told UPS to pay the fine, its only 2 grand per employee, vs 4 to 6 grand for insurance for a single part-timer.

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
PS, I like you man, so don't take my question as disrespectful, but do you have another job beyond UPS? I'm asking purely out of concern. When I was PT, I worked 2 during the week and tended bar every other Saturday. Is your goal to be FT?

Stink219, only speaks for the 35% of the UPS work-force that are full-timers. He doesn't give a rats :censored2: about the 65% of the UPS work-force, the part-timers.

The Milkman

I think we should price ourselves out of the business. We should never let ups control costs. I think by the end of this contract we should all be making 115 k a year with 45 thousand in benifits while management make 40 k and pays more for there benifits.

Sounds like you need to put your letter in, they will like you thinking
:asskissf:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Stink219, only speaks for the 35% of the UPS work-force that are full-timers. He doesn't give a rats :censored2: about the 65% of the UPS work-force, the part-timers.

Stink only speaks for the 395 dopes that voted with him in cleveland. A good percentage of his local went against the contract. Neighboring Columbus did it right, voting down the contract for the good of the Teamters as a whole.

Dont know what 407 saw differently than Columbus, but maybe they dont hand out the same Tshirts as they do in Cleveland.

Peace

TOS

The Milkman

Seems they have you hypnotized. Even with high health care costs over the past couple of years, this company has thrived UNLIKE FEDEX (PROFITS WERE DOWN LAST QUARTER AGAIN...BUT NOT HERE AT BIG BROWN) . You are believing corporate's hype. They cry all the way to the bank. This is NOT GM!!ANd this during a weak economy. Wait til the economy takes off. Plus what is wrong with making 100k a year. Do we say $4.3 billion IS TOO MUCH?? No more power to them BUT SHARE THAT PILE OF MONEY WE CREATE FOR THEM!!

:bpotd:

ZJ NOMAD

The one thing part-timers need to remember is that UPS had the option of doing away with all part-time health care all together. Under Obamacare if you work less that 30 hours a week, the employer doen't have to provide healthcare and can refer its part time staff the the soon to be started health care exchanges. I think this is one of the reasons UPS wanted to move everyone to union healthcare as the latter would prevent an uprising within the part-time ranks about their healthcare and keep them quiet and out of the voting.

Just think how many millions UPS would save by not having to offer health care to its part time workforce? And if the gooberment told UPS to pay the fine, its only 2 grand per employee, vs 4 to 6 grand for insurance for a single part-timer.

That's why I voted NO! for obama, and that is why I voted NO! for this TA.

Oh! and I don't care for your scare tactics, UPS has always provided health benefits for their part - time union workforce.

kingOFchester

They also use 53 billion to run the business. In the scope of all things, 4 billion ain't that much. $344 a week per person on average. This is what the magic # is. If we creep into that, profits go away. Profits go away, investors go away. Investors go away, guess what happens next? I'll give you a hint, it starts with "volume goes away." and then?

I agree and DO understand the problem at hand with wages, revenue, expenses and profit. However, how come it is ok for the directors of UPS to get a bigger slice of the pie then they have in the past?

I equate it to this. For the most part I run the family budget. I pay the bills. I decide how much goes into retirement. I decide how much is set aside for entertainment. I decide how much the kids get for spending money. How much goes into the family account. How much is in the emergency fund. My wife has no interest in the whole process.

So lets say I call a family meeting and say that things are getting tight. I decided we should shave 20% off the food budget. I decide to cut the clothing purchases for the year. I give the wife 1/2 the amount she is use to getting for her expenses. I cut the cell phone's from the kids. Then, I go out and buy myself a new luxury car. Get a few custom suits. It sends the wrong message. If things were tight, I wouldn't be giving myself more spending money by cutting everyone elses. I would be looking to expand my earnings. Get a weekend job. Start a small business. Do something to bring more money in. Not take from everyone else and then reward my self with more money out of the budget.

CEO is making a lot more then he did in 2007. Why shouldn't we at the very least keep what we have and raises that are inline with inflation.

804brown

If ups didn't offer health care to its part time workers, THERE WOULD BE NO PART TIME WORKERS. DO you think many would do that job FOR THAT LITTLE MONEY??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If ups didn't offer health care to its part time workers, THERE WOULD BE NO PART TIME WORKERS. DO you think many would do that job FOR THAT LITTLE MONEY??

If UPS did decide to stop providing healthcare to their PT workers they would have to increase their hourly wage or risk losing the majority of their PT work force.

stink219

PS, I like you man, so don't take my question as disrespectful, but do you have another job beyond UPS? I'm asking purely out of concern. When I was PT, I worked 2 during the week and tended bar every other Saturday. Is your goal to be FT?

Is that why I'm in work an hour early dealing with preload grievances? Because I don't care? Hoffa SUX only speaks for the 1% of TDUers. Beyond your "Vote No" campaign, I'm sure you don't offer anything to part timers?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I think we should price ourselves out of the business. We should never let ups control costs. I think by the end of this contract we should all be making 115 k a year with 45 thousand in benifits while management make 40 k and pays more for there benifits.

WTF are you talking about? Nobody wants to bleed this company dry, we want a good contract without the give backs this union seems so willing to do.

Nobody is going to bleed this company dry. Not when they are still making billions upon billions in profits in this horrible economy.

dlc

hall GET OUT OF BED WITH UPS!!!!!!! start listening to your members. Nothing was nogotiated. how about our pention, by the time we pay$500 ins. and taxes we cant afford to retire.how about hourly employees having to take a cut in pay to go on vacation. everybody else in the company gets paid 45 hours of pay and 50 hours for the last week. Our road drivers get there average pay!!!! We get 40 hours pay. How about our insurance, we have to pay for our insurance but ground doesn't???? WTF is up with that? As far as I'm concerned were all brown and all should be under the same contract!! hall you threw us under the bus last contract and we were told it's ok we got our foot in the door and just wait till next contract. Well it's time!!! Have some balls and stand up for your members!!! GET UP AND OUT OF BED WIT UPS AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ken H GET OUT OF BED WITH UPS!!!!!!! start listening to your members. Nothing was nogotiated. how about our pention, by the time we pay$500 ins. and taxes we cant afford to retire.how about hourly employees having to take a cut in pay to go on vacation. everybody else in the company gets paid 45 hours of pay and 50 hours for the last week. Our road drivers get there average pay!!!! We get 40 hours pay. How about our insurance, we have to pay for our insurance but ground doesn't???? WTF is up with that? As far as I'm concerned were all brown and all should be under the same contract!! Ken H you threw us under the bus last contract and we were told it's ok we got our foot in the door and just wait till next contract. Well it's time!!! Have some balls and stand up for your members!!! GET UP AND OUT OF BED WIT UPS AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!

I read this somewhere.

iowa boy

That's why I voted NO! for obama, and that is why I voted NO! for this TA.

Oh! and I don't care for your scare tactics, UPS has always provided health benefits for their part - time union workforce.

I'm not trying to scare anybody, just stating a not so obvious fact. And just because UPS has always provided health care to the part-timers, doesn't mean they always will or that they have to.

If UPS didn't offer health care to the part time staff, don't you think they could, (I'm not saying that they would, just depends on how cheap they actually are), afford a higher wage to compensate for the lack of health care? Remember too, that adults up to age 26 can stay on their parents insurance and not have to carry their own.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking UPSs' side on this issue, I just want to make sure everyones eyes are wide open and can see all the angles as to how UPS can deal with this health care issue.

oldupsman

You know why I love math? Because its a science of exactitudes. Most people can do it themselves to see if I'm BSing. Let's face it, you have zero knowledge of what goes on behind the doors of that negotiating room. Do you think that it is a bunch of people just guessing? Actuaries, analyst and labor lawyers bud. Sure there is a negotiating team, but the first 2 deal with costs and sustainability.

Well then maybe you should get some actuaries and analysts who can actually add and subtract.