With 250 drivers fired, who delivered the packages?

Mack Grant

As much as a I hate to say it, and I've heard others at work talking about the wildcat, UPS will not ultimately stand for this type of demonstration. Those drivers will probably be looking for new jobs...politicians be damned.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I'm reminded of a quote by Sir Sterling Moss. "Never start something you can't stop"

Many situations are like that. Now New York State is weighing in.

Dear UPS:

Is this the publicity you want after last Christmas?
Things are quickly getting out of hand.
Make peace you fools.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The union officials better get a hold of the language when they talk to the media. Who went on strike? It was a protest. They were fired for protesting and the company is using this protest as an excuse to move in low wage workers.

JL 0513

As sad as this is, I can see why UPS has to take a stand against such actions. Such a protest or a strike is illegal in our contract. The same way that stealing packages is. We are a service company, that's all we do. So when a work stoppage ceases this service, thousands of customers are affected.

I know the intentions were meant for the good of a fellow worker, but imagine if work stoppages were tolerated how often they might become. If UPS were to waive this example, then the rule is no longer a rule.

I'm sorry, but I'm never putting my career on the line for such a stand. These 250 workers spent years working hard like the rest of us to become a driver (I assume most were drivers) and make good livings and now their lives are going to suck. Most will never replace the income.

thessalonian13

I'm reminded of a quote by Sir Sterling Moss. "Never start something you can't stop"
Many situations are like that. Now New York State is weighing in.

Dear UPS:

Is this the publicity you want after last Christmas?
Things are quickly getting out of hand.
Make peace you fools.
Hopefully New York will rescind their $43 million contract from UPS and cut the parking ticket cap that UPS has. Make it real expensive for UPS. Then lets see if their tune changes.

TUT

Yeah this can come back to bite. Listening to you guys over the years, sure there is a contract and sure everything is spelled out. But it's been said many times UPS doesn't follow 100% to the words in the contract. So the end result can make an even more hyper-awareness situation that doesn't benefit UPS brass at all. They want to go tit for tat, I'm sure those tables can be turned.

The 2nd Article Linked is damn hard hitting on both ends. To me UPS brass is acting totally asstastic, true to corporate form. Threatening more jobs if the City does anything. Stay classy.

The Range

In too deep
When a supervisor engages in union work they should be terminated. Subverting the agreed upon contract from managements end is encouraged. It is a fun game of cat and mouse for them. Why is this acceptable?

Last edited:

JL 0513

Hmm. I should put in a transfer to NY. What are the chances of getting transferred to NY all the way from CA?

Who would ever want to deliver in NYC? Probably the worst conditions in the country. No place to park, tall buildings, constant bumper to bumper traffic, and of course the weather is worse than CA.

I am a recently retired driver from local 804 where everything is going down. many of you who aren't in the NYC area don't have an idea what the delivery areas are like . I had a total DR route . I stopped any place I felt like and didn't have traffic concerns. MANY OF YOU DONT REALIZE HOW TREACHEROUS A COMPANY UPS REALLY IS WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVER TREATMENT. THIS ALL ABOUT UNION BUSTING , UNION BUSTING UNION BUSTING ...... all they are concerned about is the all mighty dollar. when they have an opening to dismiss 250 drivers who are averaging 85 - 90 grand a year with newbies who will make 40 grand a year for 3 years there is no choice. they will save millions and weaken and try to bust the union at the same time. NOW THE BUSINESS AGENT SCREWED ALL THOSE GRIVERS BY PULLING THE ENTIRE BUILDING AT THEIR START TIME. ups can call that abandoning the job which is immediate cause for dismissal ...... ups isn't concerned about how much money it will cause them short term , when long term they will get bigger profits. what is it to lose a few million when you profit 6 billion a year ????? off 6 billion a year its like spending an extra $10 ............................. you all need to realize something . even though we all make or made great money your worth to UPS is somewhere between dead battery and a flat tire

stink219

According to Hoa-er, Photog, all the new tools such as EDD, the DIAD, loops, and now Orion allow for a driver to be trained off the street and be 86% effective within 30 days. If UPS wanted to, they'd get by (I don't think they want to, or even need to to accomplish sending a message).
This is an interesting post. This changes the dynamic in a strike situation. Is UPS padding for a future war?

Sent using the conscience of Local 251

teamster 804

Rumor has it more drivers fired tonight on Maspeth building.There are a lot of driver trainees in the Maspeth building and also the Brooklyn building.Looks to me drivers are being replaced as soon as trainees are ready to roll.We are all just numbers to this company.The humanity is long gone.

Sent using BrownCafe App