MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
It's possible. The consequences can be a grievance if letting you work causes the layoff of another driver while you earn double pay.

Enjoy the time off, life is short. You can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

Notretiredyet

If you work on a vacation here you are the last person to be assigned a route each day. If you have a route the coverage driver stays on your route and you get whatever is left.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Well that settles it. My sup confirmed last year was the last year they allowed it. Oh well. I can use the 2 weeks off anyway. Thanks guys

Cementups

Box Monkey
Can you call in while on vacation to see if you can work? Obviously you can call in, but will they let you?

We just had a driver pissed because he wasn't allowed to work over his vacation. He's a new driver but has worked in the hub for a few years and has always been able to work over his vacations but is now told no.

Also, if you were allowed to work over your vacation the only way it would be possible is if all other drivers on the list are exhausted.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You should never work your vacation. It allows the company to skimp on staffing and - if you're a driver - allows the company to not promote a PT employee into a FT job.

In the hub, 99% of the people who want to work their vacations are the same ones who go home 2+ days a week even when they've bid on a "highly desirable" week (ie. the week before a summer holiday).

PT Car Washer

You should never work your vacation. It allows the company to skimp on staffing and - if you're a driver - allows the company to not promote a PT employee into a FT job.

In the hub, 99% of the people who want to work their vacations are the same ones who go home 2+ days a week even when they've bid on a "highly desirable" week (ie. the week before a summer holiday).
99% of the time employees work their vacation is because they need the extra income or the boss begs them to help out because of one crises or another. It is the employees option to work his vacation or not.

By The Book

99% of the time employees work their vacation is because they need the extra income or the boss begs them to help out because of one crises or another. It is the employees option to work his vacation or not.
There's nothing in your supplement stating that working for extra compensation must be approved by the Union?

35years

Gravy route
Years ago my center manager begged me to work my vacation.
I finally caved when he offered an additional $50 Target gift certificate and a hard cap on the stop count.
I went out on Monday and injured myself by noon.

So, for working less than 4 hours...

I received a full day's pay for Monday.
I received a $50 gift certificate
I received my vacation pay for the week.
I received Worker's Comp for rest of the week (part of our local supplement; vacation pay does not take Worker's Comp pay away).
$$$$ for sitting at home watching The Price is Right!

Absolutely true story.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was a newer driver and had a project that I was planning around the house I would work a couple of my vacation weeks to help pay for it.

As I said above that is no longer an option unless they are short staffed.