Workmans comp question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Oh Shoot, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Oh Shoot

Oh Shoot Well-Known Member

Got injured on the job went to doctor and they put me on restricted duty/light duty. Ive been twice and still no change. The company has been giving me my guarantee. How long will the company allow this? Is this considered workmans comp and am I entitled any compensation? After how many days will the company make me take short term disability? Never been injured before so have questions...if anyone has any advice or comments please respond. Thanks

2. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Usually they work you 29 days on taw, then go to workman comp. No short term disability, that is for off job injuries. You pay nothing on the doctors bills either.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

TAW up to 30 days. You would then go on comp. STD is for off duty injuries/illnesses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Oh Shoot

Ive been keeping log of miles traveled to/from doctor and physical therapy. Am I entitled to reimbursement?

5. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I've never heard they do that.

6. rod

rod retired and happy

they used to pay a set mileage fee-----then again they used to do a lot of things

7. Oh Shoot

I was told workmans comp would reimburse but have validity to this

8. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Check the worker's comp laws for your state. They're all different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

If your driving from the building to your appointments, take a pkg car. Your compensation is what they are paying you in wages.

10. Retiree

Retiree Active Member

In most states they will pay mileage. Liberty will use Google maps to determine mileage from your home to Dr's office.

11. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

My DM would lose it if I allowed someone to do that.

12. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

Well, their is a solution to that problem. A new OCS on this board could coach you on how to write up, and eventually fire, said driver. Simply follow him while he drives the package car to his appointment and wait for him to commit a methods infraction. He may even get sick of being followed and decide to drive his own vehicle to avoid the harassment. ;)

13. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Too much paperwork for me. Take your car and I hope you feel better soon.

14. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

The OP needs to google his/her state's WC laws and read them. Comp laws vary from state to state. The only way to know for sure is to read the laws.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Send a list of all dates, places and miles traveled to whomever your claims manager is at Liberty Mutual. They will reimburse you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. 35years

35years Active Member

Did you file a first report of injury incident report?
    This is to protect your rights in case the injury ends up being long term, reoccurring, or permanent. You are entitled (by law) to a copy. There is a time limit, so ask if it was filed and if not, get it filed.
    Contact your State Workman's Comp office. (many have helpful experts who can help you navigate the claim process).

Have you seen your own doctor?
    In many states you have the right to a second opinion and to choose you own doctor. Your own doctor would not have the monetary conflict of interest that the UPS doctor has. There are rules about "doctor shopping"; so often after you have seen a second doctor the next appointment you go to determines who you choose for your ensuing appointments. UPS can still require you to see their doctor, but you still see and accept treatment from your own, and if they disagree on treatment or ability to work there is a set process to follow. You need to call your own State's workman's comp helpline.

Do you anticipate this injury lasting a long time or possibly permanent?
    If so, consider retaining a good Workman's Comp attorney. Your teamster local may have an attorney on retainer that can help you free of charge, or may help you find an attorney who has dealt successfully with UPS claims.

More information here:
    Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/work-while-injured.367265/page-2#ixzz3yJ7HMV2M