xmas day

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by nolongerpurple, Dec 22, 2013.

1. nolongerpurple

nolongerpurple New Member

how many of you have been told you may be forced to work Xmas day. We were told late last week that due to volume we may have to work. I am looking for info from Michigan. I will start we are in west mich and cover a large area of sw mich.
  2. Mr. 7

Mr. 7 The monkey on the left.

We were told Xmas day would be voluntary. We'll see about that.
  3. thedownhillEXPRESS

thedownhillEXPRESS Well-Known Member

They started to drop hints in the way they speak in our morning meetings
  4. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

Voluntary at my station.
  5. whenIgetthere

whenIgetthere Well-Known Member

They've had a sign up sheet up for a couple of weeks. Surprised that there are quite a few names on it already, not mine though.
  6. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

Voluntary at my station too. There's never been a shortage of volunteers. I've volunteered a few times before I got married, but never did get to work due to seniority.
  7. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

I'm thinking it will be mandatory at many locations. I'm aware of quite a few stations that have double-digit numbers of AMJs that haven't even been touched that are already late. I've heard that the local ramp smells like the inside of a dumpster due to all of the perishables going bad.
  8. fedupforsure

fedupforsure Member

I would walk out the door before being forced to deliver Christmas gift in favor of spending it with my family
  9. I actually feel bad for you Express couriers .. I witnessed the fails first hand the other day .. between absurd promises and the unfortunate weather, you guys are swamped and screwed .. at the station where I pick up at daily, they had a plane arrive at 3 PM due to weather/volume .. and I heard from the management they had just heard from corporate that XMas was a work day .. ouch
  10. fedupforsure

fedupforsure Member

I think the pilots are playing games due to this current issue of fixing planes also
  11. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

As well they should.
  12. fedupforsure

fedupforsure Member

but we are the ones it hurt. don't get me wrong I agree with them, but when its a made up reason at the time we suffer
  13. fedupforsure

fedupforsure Member

If the co is that far behind they should ask for volunteers to man the station and use the media to tell the public that they can come pick their pkgs up on christmas
  14. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

The customer is the one getting hurt the most. I have not heard of a pilot slowdown, and I'm thinking the late planes are due to the system crashing and burning. If the pilots want to eff with Smith, all they have to do is find a maintenance issue. When I was a ramp agent, we had one captain who refused to fly because the light in the lavatory didn't work. The aircraft departed 2 hours late. The captain has total control over the aircraft.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The only problem with that is trying to figure out which packages to hold and which to put on road.
  16. Doc Sorting Dude

Doc Sorting Dude Active Member

Our SM already advised us that Xmas day will be voluntary only...he can't suddenly say "we all have to deliver every last piece of package due Dec 25th"....can he? Well, maybe starting with the bottom of the seniority list.
  17. DRAisawesome

DRAisawesome Active Member

Until they pay double time. You will never see me there on Christmas. How can they not pay double time? Oh that's right its FEDEX
  18. They don't even offer you guys double time for Christmas? Screw that, I would think that would be the minimum they would offer .. I would thing more like double time and a half! You guys should all tell them where to stick it!
  19. Nolimitz

Nolimitz Active Member

they can fire me before I work Christmas.... don't give a rats :censored2: anymore
  20. DRAisawesome

DRAisawesome Active Member

@Maine Well we all get paid for the holiday. It's time and a half for the hours you work that day.