You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex 84

Trying to limit number of AM routes, having a driver do an AA p1 area before heading out to their route in an AM area, and then sending a part timer out there in the afternoon to finish his route for him to save overtime. 45 minutes stem time. Could've just had the part timer come in in the morning and do the AA p1 route...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I see this happen all the time at our shop. we have anywhere from 6 to 12 tractors down because of no parts.

so we miss service for lack of tractors and they have to rent them. cost???

the shop is not allowed to carry more than 1 or 2 spare parts of an item. things basic like wipers and headlights.

unbelievable.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I see this happen all the time at our shop. we have anywhere from 6 to 12 tractors down because of no parts.

so we miss service for lack of tractors and they have to rent them. cost???

the shop is not allowed to carry more than 1 or 2 spare parts of an item. things basic like wipers and headlights.

unbelievable.

I have heard that our mechanics have to order everything from Memphis and that they aren't allowed to have normal wear and tear items like brake pads, wipers, and headlights. Then the parts are shipped out E2. So, a tractor or truck goes "Out of Service" for want of a part that they should have dozens of because they fail or wear out on a regular basis. Brilliant.

Our VMX Manager will say off the record that this is insanity. He also told me all the steps he had to go through just to rent a single van to cover for one that broke down at a rural station. Something that should take 15 minutes took all day, and they didn't even get a replacement until the next day. He hates FedEx as much as I do.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I have heard that our mechanics have to order everything from Memphis and that they aren't allowed to have normal wear and tear items like brake pads, wipers, and headlights. Then the parts are shipped out E2.
916.gif

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I have heard that our mechanics have to order everything from Memphis and that they aren't allowed to have normal wear and tear items like brake pads, wipers, and headlights. Then the parts are shipped out E2. So, a tractor or truck goes "Out of Service" for want of a part that they should have dozens of because they fail or wear out on a regular basis. Brilliant.

Our VMX Manager will say off the record that this is insanity. He also told me all the steps he had to go through just to rent a single van to cover for one that broke down at a rural station. Something that should take 15 minutes took all day, and they didn't even get a replacement until the next day. He hates FedEx as much as I do.
This company has gone beyond dangerously cheap. Apparently Fred, Matt, Dave and all the stockholders will starve to death if vehicle maintenance is allowed to stock some basic replacement parts.

BigTex61

We have trucks down for a couple of days because of burned out headlights, a 15 minute repair if our mechanic could carry a couple of extra. Instead, we go get rentals until the headlights cone in. Pure effing insanity!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it was explained to me that bean counters determined that extra parts cost extra millions of dollars in cost and inventory space when added up throughout the country compared to the cost of a downed tractor or a missed service.

"cost effectiveness"

they must be right. they are billionaires and millionaires and we are........well , you know.

what they should do and some of the best companies do this , is encourage cost saving suggestions from employees and if implemented award worker with a substantial cash bonus in line with the savings per year.

Cactus

what they should do and some of the best companies do this , is encourage cost saving suggestions from employees and if implemented award worker with a substantial cash bonus in line with the savings per year.
I agree but those kind ideas died a long time ago.

PT Car Washer

it was explained to me that bean counters determined that extra parts cost extra millions of dollars in cost and inventory space when added up throughout the country compared to the cost of a downed tractor or a missed service.

"cost effectiveness"

they must be right. they are billionaires and millionaires and we are........well , you know.

I get the point of stocking millions of dollars in spare parts that could become obsolete before being used. But what is wrong with ordering from a local parts counter expendable items.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I get the point of stocking millions of dollars in spare parts that could become obsolete before being used. But what is wrong with ordering from a local parts counter expendable items.

Nothing. Except that's not what they do. And we're not talking millions of dollars of spare parts that will become obsolete. At the present time, FedEx has a pretty standardized fleet of tractors and trucks. A very high percentage of the tractors are Freightliners, and the basic delivery fleet is pretty much Sprinters, Nissans and the Isuzu Reach. We have some W700s and 900s too, which are a Freightliner underneath the body.

Like others have said, we will park a vehicle that has a non-operational headlight and go rent a replacement. When they made their calculations for the "savings", did they also figure-in going to retrieve the rental, taking it back, and the possible disruption to operations?

Our mechanics can't even go to the local NAPA store or order from them. It is INSANE. Off the record, almost every manager will agree with it being a stupid idea.

Cactus

Nothing. Except that's not what they do. And we're not talking millions of dollars of spare parts that will become obsolete. At the present time, FedEx has a pretty standardized fleet of tractors and trucks. A very high percentage of the tractors are Freightliners, and the basic delivery fleet is pretty much Sprinters, Nissans and the Isuzu Reach. We have some W700s and 900s too, which are a Freightliner underneath the body.

Like others have said, we will park a vehicle that has a non-operational headlight and go rent a replacement. When they made their calculations for the "savings", did they also figure-in going to retrieve the rental, taking it back, and the possible disruption to operations?

Our mechanics can't even go to the local NAPA store or order from them. It is INSANE. Off the record, almost every manager will agree with it being a stupid idea.
And an idea that likely came from Matt Thornton. It's got his stupid signature all over it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What they should do and some of the best companies do this , is encourage cost saving suggestions from employees and if implemented award worker with a substantial cash bonus in line with the savings per year.

Believe it or not the military has such a program in place. The Air Force version was called the Suggestion Program and it worked pretty much the way that she described it.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Believe it or not the military has such a program in place. The Air Force version was called the Suggestion Program and it worked pretty much the way that she described it.

We are all familiar with the military machine's penchant for saving money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are all familiar with the military machine's penchant for saving money.

One of the suggestions, for which I received $500, was for alternate day street sweeping on base. Previously they were forced to weave in and out of parked cars, wasting fuel and doing only half the job.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
One of the suggestions, for which I received $500, was for alternate day street sweeping on base. Previously they were forced to weave in and out of parked cars, wasting fuel and doing only half the job.

If I was there, I would shake your hand, while the band played Stars and Stripes Forever.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when companies get this big its like the US Army. SNAFUS which means..........

and I cant remember the other one but it was popular in the Vietnam war.

Status
Not open for further replies.