Youth Group Question From Last Night: God can’t allow sin into heaven? (OnTopic-No bible verses please)

Integrity

Binge Poster
While serving at Youth Group last night the Youth Pastor was teaching the Wordless Gospel using a bracelet.

He got to the second bracelet and among several statements one of the statements he made was “God can’t allow sin into heaven.”

One of the students said “I was taught God can do all things, now you are telling me he can’t allow sin in heaven. I don’t understand why the 2 different teachings?”

I really was intrigued by this thoughtful and thought provoking question by this young person.

What say you?

Please no Bible verses.

This doesn’t mean not to utilize the Bible as the reason for you personal opinion or beliefs but my desire in not for this thread to become “Bible Thumper” thread.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
While serving at Youth Group last night the Youth Pastor was teaching the Wordless Gospel using a bracelet.

He got to the second bracelet and among several statements one of the statements he made was “God can’t allow sin into heaven.”

One of the students said “I was taught God can do all things, now you are telling me he can’t allow sin in heaven. I don’t understand why the 2 different teachings?”

I really was intrigued by this thoughtful and thought provoking question by this young person.

What say you?

Please no Bible verses.

This doesn’t mean not to utilize the Bible as the reason for you personal opinion or beliefs but my desire in not for this thread to become “Bible Thumper” thread.

do you also believe the world was created in 7 days

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
do you also believe the world was created in 7 days
The evidence in Genesis says that the days of creation were days of ordinary length because evening and morning are mentioned each day of creation. Years and eons of time do not have a morning and evening.
If these days were thousands or millions of years there are lots of problems.
In Genesis 1:16 "two great lights were made, one to rule the day and the lesser to rule the night." Since these days were divided, according to Genesis 1:15 into “evening and morning” you would have to assume that the sun came up but did not go down for a few thousand or a few million years.
If we assume the “days” were eons of time, the plants that were brought about on the third day of creation and the sun on the fourth day, plants must have sunlight in order to produce. If eons of time passed before the sun was created, no plants.
Animals are dependent upon plants as a basic source of food. Carnivorous animals are ultimately dependent upon plants for food which are, in turn, dependent on the sun.
Plants and animals could not exist for millions of years without energy supplied by the sun.

Last edited:

SLW

There is really no "true" Christian answer to what happens to us after death (except that there is eternal life and a resurrection), so this is one subject it's OK to be agnostic about. However, the one traditional teaching that makes the most sense to me and seems to be the most consistent logically, traditionally, and scripturally, is that both at the final coming and perhaps even immediately after death, we all experience God's presence. He does not punish or "not allow" anyone "in". To the righteous and/or those that love God, his presence and light is a positive, joyful experience. To those who hate God, that light will be unbearable like fire, exposing sin, the realization they have sinned against and rejected God's love, etc. In this way, everyone will experience God and His love after death, but how that is experienced is determined by your relationship with God.
It's not perfect and I'm not good at explaining it, but that's the closest to how I think.

BrownFlush

There is really no "true" Christian answer to what happens to us after death (except that there is eternal life and a resurrection), so this is one subject it's OK to be agnostic about. However, the one traditional teaching that makes the most sense to me and seems to be the most consistent logically, traditionally, and scripturally, is that both at the final coming and perhaps even immediately after death, we all experience God's presence. He does not punish or "not allow" anyone "in". To the righteous and/or those that love God, his presence and light is a positive, joyful experience. To those who hate God, that light will be unbearable like fire, exposing sin, the realization they have sinned against and rejected God's love, etc. In this way, everyone will experience God and His love after death, but how that is experienced is determined by your relationship with God.
It's not perfect and I'm not good at explaining it, but that's the closest to how I think.
Sin will never be in the presence of God.

BrownFlush

This is addressed by much more literate and overall better people than me, but I'm still not sure if they're right or not. Really doesn't matter much.
Nobody is better than you.
Just take care of this side of the grave. God will take care of the other.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was exposed to this teaching my whole life, I never thought to question it, and I stilling don’t, so I would say yes I believe the world was created in 7 days.

The question is, do you believe that everything in the fossil records happened since creation, or not? And if not how do you reconcile that?

BrownFlush

The question is, do you believe that everything in the fossil records happened since creation, or not? And if not how do you reconcile that?
Ever think how old Adam was one minute after creation?
He was one minute old, but was a full grown man who could pass for 18, 22, 25 years old. Who knows?
At creation, the rock that was created is one minute old has every sign of being a million years old if he wanted it to.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ever think how old Adam was one minute after creation?
He was one minute old, but was a full grown man who could pass for 18, 22, 25 years old. Who knows?
At creation, the rock that was created is one minute old has every sign of being a million years old if he wanted it to.

That's pretty much how I reconcile it too. When I explained it to my kids I used simulations as an example. When you start minecraft, you get a world that didn't exist moments earlier, but, even for the purposes of the game, is at a point where it couldn't be if it had just started.

My brother is a young earth creationist. I'm ok with that too. How I, or others, think things got to be how they are, is not very relevant to much of anything.

Last edited:

BrownFlush

That's pretty much how I reconcile it too. When I explained it to my kids I used simulations as an example. When you start minecraft, you get a world that didn't exist moments earlier, but, even for the purposes of the game, is at a point where it couldn't be if it had just started.

My brother is a young earth creationist. I'm ok with that too. How I, or others, think things got to be how they are, is not very relevant to much of anything.
I guess the relevance is, if the Bible is not inspired as it claims and God is not the all-knowing God, then there is no truth that we could depend upon for our salvation today.
Did Jesus die for our sins and did he arose again for our salvation? How do we know that apart from revelation?
We believe this by faith and our confidence in God’s revelation about these things.
If we cannot be confident in God’s ability to reveal his acts of creating the earth in six literal days, how can we believe in those things dealing with our salvation revealed in the Bible?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I guess the relevance is, if the Bible is not inspired as it claims and God is not the all-knowing God, then there is no truth that we could depend upon for our salvation today.
Did Jesus die for our sins and did he arose again for our salvation? How do we know that apart from revelation?
We believe this by faith and our confidence in God’s revelation about these things.
If we cannot be confident in God’s ability to reveal his acts of creating the earth in six literal days, how can we believe in those things dealing with our salvation revealed in the Bible?

It doesn't matter to me if God created a billion's-year-old universe, or if everything that science says is millions/billions years old actually happened in the last 6000 years. You can make an argument for either based on scripture and evidence from the physical world. I think the former is more likely, my brother thinks the latter. Whichever of us is correct, or if there is some third option no one has thought of, doesn't really matter much, as far as I'm concerned. It's a point of contention that tends to be counterproductive and divisive.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Back to the OP question, my take is that "sin" is not a physical object, it is an act of disobedience to God. It is not a limit on God that we would be unable sin in his presence. The fact that we are capable of sin at all is our ability to deny His existence. If we knew for certain that God existed, we wouldn't dare disobey Him. If we were in His presence, we wouldn't want to disobey him, possibly wouldn't be able to, which would make us like the angels, but that's a bit of a leap.

Jesus did say there is no marriage in heaven, so we know that much. And I believe John, in Revelations, describes the physical appearance of heaven (been a while since I read it, and I'm too tired to look it up to verify that now, anyone feel free to correct me).

Integrity

Binge Poster
Back to the OP question, my take is that "sin" is not a physical object, it is an act of disobedience to God. It is not a limit on God that we would be unable sin in his presence. The fact that we are capable of sin at all is our ability to deny His existence. If we knew for certain that God existed, we wouldn't dare disobey Him. If we were in His presence, we wouldn't want to disobey him, possibly wouldn't be able to, which would make us like the angels, but that's a bit of a leap.

Jesus did say there is no marriage in heaven, so we know that much. And I believe John, in Revelations, describes the physical appearance of heaven (been a while since I read it, and I'm too tired to look it up to verify that now, anyone feel free to correct me).
So you say then, nothing is impossible for God therefore he can allow sin into heaven if he chooses?

Your saying God has no limits, correct?

BrownFlush

It doesn't matter to me if God created a billion's-year-old universe, or if everything that science says is millions/billions years old actually happened in the last 6000 years. You can make an argument for either based on scripture and evidence from the physical world. I think the former is more likely, my brother thinks the latter. Whichever of us is correct, or if there is some third option no one has thought of, doesn't really matter much, as far as I'm concerned. It's a point of contention that tends to be counterproductive and divisive.
Point:
If God said a day, by faith, as I accept everything else written, it is a day.
To believe otherwise would be inconsistent and make God a liar.