Youth Group Question From Last Night: God can’t allow sin into heaven? (OnTopic-No bible verses please)

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
While serving at Youth Group last night the Youth Pastor was teaching the Wordless Gospel using a bracelet.

He got to the second bracelet and among several statements one of the statements he made was “God can’t allow sin into heaven.”

One of the students said “I was taught God can do all things, now you are telling me he can’t allow sin in heaven. I don’t understand why the 2 different teachings?”

I really was intrigued by this thoughtful and thought provoking question by this young person.

What say you?

Please no Bible verses.

This doesn’t mean not to utilize the Bible as the reason for you personal opinion or beliefs but my desire in not for this thread to become “Bible Thumper” thread.
45C2B895-C899-4E13-A0D8-E3CC5C25B7B2.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So you say then, nothing is impossible for God therefore he can allow sin into heaven if he chooses?

Your saying God has no limits, correct?

How would God "allow sin into heaven"? It's not like allowing the dog into the house. Sin is our disobedience to God. If he allowed us into heaven, we would be unable to sin. It's our limit, not his. Can God sin? Can he disobey His own will? That sort of thinking merely reveals the limitations of our language, as is the case with all paradox, and our own ability to understand.

Integrity

Binge Poster
How would God "allow sin into heaven"? It's not like allowing the dog into the house. Sin is our disobedience to God. If he allowed us into heaven, we would be unable to sin. It's our limit, not his. Can God sin? Can he disobey His own will? That sort of thinking merely reveals the limitations of our language, as is the case with all paradox, and our own ability to understand.
Nice. We are so limited. Going to ponder this more. I will reply later.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I don't want to keep derailing, but the context in which Jesus said that makes it quite clear what he meant.
There are a lot of other passages that context makes it quite clear what Jesus meant but, it doesn't seem to concern you.
Anywho...
Don't you think we will know each other in heaven? Our life and people and relationships we had on the earth? Of course.
The rich man and Lazarus parable I believe confirms this.

Your spirit will not change. You are who you are. Forever. Your physical body will no longer house your spirit but will be housed in an eternal body. -- Paul in Corinthians

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There are a lot of other passages that context makes it quite clear what Jesus meant but, it doesn't seem to concern you.
Anywho...
Don't you think we will know each other in heaven? Our life and people and relationships we had on the earth? Of course.
The rich man and Lazarus parable I believe confirms this.

Your spirit will not change. You are who you are. Forever. Your physical body will no longer house your spirit but will be housed in an eternal body. -- Paul in Corinthians

What concerns me and what we disagree about are two different things. It's quite clear from the passage I quoted, and other things Jesus says about adultery, that marriage ends at death. It's right in the vows that most of us took.

BrownFlush

What concerns me and what we disagree about are two different things. It's quite clear from the passage I quoted, and other things Jesus says about adultery, that marriage ends at death. It's right in the vows that most of us took.
Some vows reflect what Paul states in Romans. Most today reflect what men have written.
Paul points out that the physical relationship does end at death.
Not much said in scripture about the spiritual ( physical will be non existent)relationships we will have in eternity and who with. A non salvation issue, but something to ponder.
Jesus did shut down the Sadducee’s ( believed no resurrection) with his answer to what they thought was an unanswerable question.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
"Don't you think we will know each other in heaven? Our life and people and relationships we had on the earth? Of course.
The rich man and Lazarus parable I believe confirms this."

Interesting Scripture on this topic in Isaiah 65:17

After God creates a New Heaven and a New Earth, we are told that the things of this world will not be thought of, or remembered Anymore.

So, to answer: "... will we remember our life, people, and relationships we had on earth?"

Scripture (Isaiah 65:17) seems to "suggest" that we wont.

certainly a powerful verse to "digest".

Integrity

Binge Poster
"Don't you think we will know each other in heaven? Our life and people and relationships we had on the earth? Of course.

After God creates a New Heaven and a New Earth, we are told that the things of this world will not be thought of, or remembered Anymore.

So, to answer: "... will we remember our life, people, and relationships we had on earth?"

From original post:

One of the students said “I was taught God can do all things, now you are telling me he can’t allow sin in heaven. I don’t understand why the 2 different teachings?”

I really was intrigued by this thoughtful and thought provoking question by this young person.

What say you?

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
From original post:

What say you?
I say, let's look and see...........

First, is the question even valid? Are there really 2 different teachings ???
Let's go to Scripture. What does it (God) say about what HE can or can not do ?

And........................

AH HA !!! There it is! Right in Scripture!

There IS something, one thing, that the Father tells us in HIS Word that HE Can NOT do !

So, the easy (and honest) answer to the young pupil
is that his question is flawed. One of his 2 teachings has been wrong.

Just my 2 cents worth.
But hey.... I'm curious ...... Who knows the answer? who is going to be the first to post the answer?

"What is the one thing God can't do?"

BrownFlush

I say, let's look and see...........

First, is the question even valid? Are there really 2 different teachings ???
Let's go to Scripture. What does it (God) say about what HE can or can not do ?

And........................

AH HA !!! There it is! Right in Scripture!

There IS something, one thing, that the Father tells us in HIS Word that HE Can NOT do !

So, the easy (and honest) answer to the young pupil
is that his question is flawed. One of his 2 teachings has been wrong.

Just my 2 cents worth.
But hey.... I'm curious ...... Who knows the answer? who is going to be the first to post the answer?

"What is the one thing God can't do?"
Lie.
"that by two [h]immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie," Hebrews 6:18

BrownFlush

2 Peter 3:13 is a parallel verse to Isa.65:17 the apostle Peter says that it is "according to His promise" that this new heavens and earth are looked for. Jesus promised a place in his Father's house for all who would follow him Jn. 14:1-6.

The promise is not a promise of this old earth. It is a promise of Heaven, where Jesus went to be at his Father's right hand. Paul affirms that Heaven is where Jesus is now, and that is what we are to be seeking Col. 3:1-3
That Jerusalem is above Paul says in Galatians 4:26. That eternal home for the righteous, where God is pictured as wiping away every tear from our eyes, removing death, mourning, crying and pain (cf. Rev. 21:4) is our goal, not a renovated earth.

"Remembered no more."..the earth itself maybe..the sin and corruption..wouldn't be heaven if we did battle with the world like we do now. I think are too many instances in scripture where people recognize others who have gone on before they did.

King David's child had died, he said: "Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me" (2 Sam. 12:23). David realized that someday he would go to be with the child.
The transfiguration...Moses and Elijah had been dust for hundreds of years and they were recognized.
Rich man and Lazarus.
The very thought of knowing one another in heaven is a great hope for Christians. It should motivate us to endeavor even more to please God, and be assured that someday we can live forever in that indescribable place known as heaven.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Brown

While serving at Youth Group last night the Youth Pastor was teaching the Wordless Gospel using a bracelet He got to the second bracelet and among several statements one of the statements he made was “God can’t allow sin into heaven.”

What say you?

Please no Bible verses.

This doesn’t mean not to utilize the Bible as the reason for you personal opinion or beliefs but my desire in not for this thread to become “Bible Thumper” thread.

God can do all things.
That doesn’t mean he will.

BrownFlush

God can do all things.
That doesn’t mean he will.
Spot on.
In saying what he will do in scripture, he has said what he will not do.
Deity can and has limited their ability. Jesus is the perfect example.( He could have called 10,000 angels)
The Holy Spirit competed work is the written word. He works through it.
God could torch the world today. But, he is long suffering, he wants all to come to repentance.

Last edited: