Zero tolerance

Ms.PacMan

Ms Pacman gives the soundest advice and it is good for people that are loud and obnoxious (me) and frequently politically incorrect (me again) to read posts like hers as a reminder that people do not have to tolerate my BS. They could make my life very miserable. Thanks for posting that.
I do think women should be more assertive but I have a male friend who gives creepy hugs and I've never said a word for 20 years even though I cringe every time he hugs me.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I work part time at a hub in Ohio...I am a week 1/2 away from going to Integrad after waiting 12 years for a chance. On Thursday I was called into the office and was asked if I was aware of UPS' zero tolerance on sexual harassment policy. I was then told that someone filed on me for giving a "friend" a hug. This friend and I have always been comfortable taking breaks together and talking at work. There was never anything uncomfortable and neither one of us said anything to that nature. It was somebody else that got them to blab to management about me. I gave my statement to the security guy and union steward. Other people have come forward on my side and explained that I am a stand up guy and have never done anything wrong to anybody. This coming week the Teamster big wigs are going to a conference in Florida while my job hangs in the balance. For now I am terminated and awaiting trial. Why does the word of a proven liar (the one that told) trump my character and make me lose out on a chance to provide for my family? Has anybody had any situations like this and got their job back? I've been told not to worry but it's hard not to when I am the one not being able to work :dissapointed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCoD-TELD0A

Perhaps it was a stupervisor that put it threw. If so, even if they are the poorest of the poor, they will always look out for and believe anything "they" say to each other.

If not, anything that is being said will be brought fourth no matter the situation, and fast. To put the fire out quickly and try so hard to prevent paper being thrown at them for any reason. There was one day here, years ago, someone threw a pee bottle into one of the cages. That loader found it, got pissed, and reported it. The very next day they had someone walking around asking each person if they knew or saw anything.

UPS is hella slow on everything, unless its a matter with an irate employee. Thus, action is taken quickly to cover ones own ass.

S

serenity now

I do think women should be more assertive but I have a male friend who gives creepy hugs and I've never said a word for 20 years even though I cringe every time he hugs me.

what makes a hug creepy? i really want to know, to stay on the non-creepy side * cause i love me some hugs

UPSGUY72

I work part time at a hub in Ohio...I am a week 1/2 away from going to Integrad after waiting 12 years for a chance. On Thursday I was called into the office and was asked if I was aware of UPS' zero tolerance on sexual harassment policy. I was then told that someone filed on me for giving a "friend" a hug. This friend and I have always been comfortable taking breaks together and talking at work. There was never anything uncomfortable and neither one of us said anything to that nature. It was somebody else that got them to blab to management about me. I gave my statement to the security guy and union steward. Other people have come forward on my side and explained that I am a stand up guy and have never done anything wrong to anybody. This coming week the Teamster big wigs are going to a conference in Florida while my job hangs in the balance. For now I am terminated and awaiting trial. Why does the word of a proven liar (the one that told) trump my character and make me lose out on a chance to provide for my family? Has anybody had any situations like this and got their job back? I've been told not to worry but it's hard not to when I am the one not being able to work :dissapointed:

They are going to happen tell you what exactly you did and who made the complaint. They can't say you sexually harassed some one and not give you the opportunity to defend yourself against it.

Drag you ass to the unemployment office and file for unemployment. They can't terminated you without first giving you notice that you need to stop doing what your doing because someone is uncomfortable with it.

good look

But don't sit back let them walk all over you be proactive keep calling you BA and make sure Monday morning your ass it at the unemployment office. Don't call your SUP for details of whats going on call your BA that what they get paid for.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OMG, hugging? I hug everyone, if I creep them out, never seen it. If they dont like it they would nicely tell me? If the mood moves me, I hug, grab a shoulder, knock up against them. Good Lord, we are emotional human beings. A world without hugging? Give me a break. It disturbs me, to see life being clinicalized.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OMG, hugging? I hug everyone, if I creep them out, never seen it. If they dont like it they would nicely tell me? If the mood moves me, I hug, grab a shoulder, knock up against them. Good Lord, we are emotional human beings. A world without hugging? Give me a break. It disturbs me, to see life being clinicalized.
I just saw the Seinfld where everyone in his building were embracing & cheek kissing. He was uncomfortable with that practice, said something and the entire bldg. population hated him.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The most standoffish amongst us just needs a hug. It draws you in, it means you are accepted. It means you are not alone. It means you are one of us. Good Lord, methinks the person who complains needs fired.
Now I have seen the hug, arm around the neck, trying to intimidate someone, that person needs a kick in the privates, he wont hug that way no more.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Just keep telling UPS that it wasn't meant in a sexual way and you will never hug anyone again (and mean it). Offer to apologize (and mean it).

Quit being so dense - your "friend" was probably the person who said something because you made her uncomfortable. Most women are not assertive and will not tell you to your face that you crossed the line.

Who's really being dense here? You think that women are shy, indirect and non-assertive but have no problem complaining to management, writing out a statement & demanding termination? I'd describe that as vindictiveness. A normal, rational person who was as you described would either have somebody informally let the OP know how they felt, or arranged a formal meeting in which the OP apologized and signed the anti-harassment policy. But pursing termination...?

I can completely relate to the OP. Three years ago this April, and two weeks before I was to move into FT driving, my pants split open briefly displaying my underwear. I immediately taped my wardrobe malfunction up, but a female -- bitter I was going into FT driving and her husband wasn't (he wasn't even close to getting the bid) -- filed a complaint on me for sexual harassment. Never mind the fact that I was the only guy under 30 who didn't sag my pants at work. Never mind the fact that we had an employee who purposely wore his sweatpants so tight, it framed his junk. I too was pulled from service for the zero-tolerance policy... I got my job back at the local hearing, but not for six weeks, and not until my FT opportunity passed. But the experience made me realize that I was a ******* maroon for even wanting a career at UPS, and it put me back in school.

I cringe when I realize what society has become... anti-sexual harassment policies are an absolutely necessity but it's shameful they're abused today.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Who's really being dense here? You think that women are shy, indirect and non-assertive but have no problem complaining to management, writing out a statement & demanding termination? I'd describe that as vindictiveness. A normal, rational person who was as you described would either have somebody informally let the OP know how they felt, or arranged a formal meeting in which the OP apologized and signed the anti-harassment policy. But pursing termination...?

I can completely relate to the OP. Three years ago this April, and two weeks before I was to move into FT driving, my pants split open briefly displaying my underwear. I immediately taped my wardrobe malfunction up, but a female -- bitter I was going into FT driving and her husband wasn't (he wasn't even close to getting the bid) -- filed a complaint on me for sexual harassment. Never mind the fact that I was the only guy under 30 who didn't sag my pants at work. Never mind the fact that we had an employee who purposely wore his sweatpants so tight, it framed his junk. I too was pulled from service for the zero-tolerance policy... I got my job back at the local hearing, but not for six weeks, and not until my FT opportunity passed. But the experience made me realize that I was a ******* maroon for even wanting a career at UPS, and it put me back in school.

I cringe when I realize what society has become... anti-sexual harassment policies are an absolutely necessity but it's shameful they're abused today.
That totally sucks the big one.
That is how sexual harrassment has ruined it for us normals. How is it sexually harrassing if our ill fitting uniforms rip?
PS Im glad you are back in school.
Sexual harrassment, is bogus so much. For one if women cant handle the way men are, they should go work somewhere else. And that goes for any woman who works in a male dominate field. I appreciate the men I work with and have never once been made uncomfortable by any of them. Women make me more uncomforable than men.
I had one sup 28 yrs ago when I was not yet qualified slap me on the derriere. I knew nothing of UPS, I just got hired. The one and only reason, I said anything, is I did not want him to keep me from getting qualified. Had I known of wordly things as I do now, I would have handled it myself. I got hired from a job where I was making 3 bucks an hour, I was now making 8, and I feared if I didnt follow his advances I wouldnt make it, he got fired, as he did it to two other women. Today I would handle it differently. I think he was just not taught manners. He had a wife and kids, I still feel bad. But that was pretty overboard.
So yes, I feel today they are abused. For nefarious reasons. And that is not why they were set in place, it is a shame.

gingerkat

I'm a woman and I would never hug or touch someone, especially on the job. Now you can't even give someone a "hey you look nice" because that is also sexual harassment.

It's a compliment when it's someone you're attracted to, but harassment when it's someone you don't like. Sorry OP, but hopefully this is a huge lesson for you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I'm a woman and I would never hug or touch someone, especially on the job. Now you can't even give someone a "hey you look nice" because that is also sexual harassment.

It's a compliment when it's someone you're attracted to, but harassment when it's someone you don't like. Sorry OP, but hopefully this is a huge lesson for you.
My working place consumes part of my life and the people in it are part of my life. I agree with hey you look nice today, thats what I am talking about. I cant fathom someone hugging me if I dont like them, they already know to stay away. But is it harrassment or stupidity? I can honestly say I am not attracted to any guys I work with, but a hug, from one of them does not set off an alarm. Maybe its just me.

I don't think the person I hugged is the one that complained, there is someone else involved that had no problem running their mouth off about me, and I think it made the other person uncomfortable...from what I am told, management had to follow procedures but are in my corner...why can't they reinstate me based on the fact that the tatle tell has a mug shot from being arrested for phone harassment and they have no problem spreading lies and throwing people under the bus?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't think the person I hugged is the one that complained, there is someone else involved that had no problem running their mouth off about me, and I think it made the other person uncomfortable...from what I am told, management had to follow procedures but are in my corner...why can't they reinstate me based on the fact that the tatle tell has a mug shot from being arrested for phone harassment and they have no problem spreading lies and throwing people under the bus?
eshbucknut,

What was the specific charges against you that got you fired?

It is unclear to me.

Sincerely,
I

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

eshbucknut,
Unless there's more to this story, most likely the person you hugged would've had to write a written statement against you in order to elevate this to termination. Over the years, we've had many instances of witnesses reporting harassment, and typically the company will not proceed unless the person being harassed agrees to write a statement. As for reinstatement... of course the company could reinstate you at any time but in cases involving sexual harassment, they typically hold hearings to cover their behinds. If it went this far, it'll probably drag out & they've probably filled your spot. Unless there's a smoking gun against you, or previous complaints, you'll probably get your job back... but you'll have to wait until the next FT bid.

That summarizes my thoughts on modern sexual harassment entirely: if the girl thinks you're good-looking, you can get away with pretty much anything but if she thinks you're unattractive... saying "hi" to her is sexually harassing her.