“On Call Feeder”

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Most new Feeder drivers would rather work 20 or 30 hrs a wk in Feeders then work in delivery or worse yet, work inside.
I never went back. One time my boss said "we don't have anything this week you can go back to package if you want", I said no thanks. Ended up working every day.

WannaBeFeeder

All the language for the feeder department is *ty. I’ve contacted my union rep but I’m waiting for him to get back to me. I’m definitely not just a cover driver although we do have the option to bid on weekly vacation runs. I’ve been with the company for 3.5 years and a feeder driver for a year and a half. Once I get enough seniority I’ll be able to bid on a 6 month bid job.
Wow. We have about 80 feeders here and guys with less than 6 months already have 60 Hr bids and these are street feeders

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Alright anyone got an answer for me on this one?

Maybe.

I work at a fairly large hub and we have an on call feeder list. We’re told we have to answer our phones and/or call back within 15 minutes. If we don’t call back within 15 minutes we are put on the bottom of the on call sheet.

That's not uncommon for some area's.

I’ve missed calls by more than 15 minutes called them back, been told I’m at the bottom of the list and now I’m not guaranteed work and also I’m not allowed to work my 8 hours in the hub because me “missing my call = me calling off for the day”

Knowing you are on the "on-call" list (and low seniority).... how do you miss a call ?

Anything I can do about this?
No one on the extra board gets a scheduled start time unless they win a weekly bid.

It sounds like you have an established Local Practice for feeders. (Or, local rider)

Talk with your feeder Steward and BA.

Seniority only sucks.... when you don't have it.

-Bug-

Indecisi0n

Maybe.

Knowing you are on the "on-call" list (and low seniority).... how do you miss a call ?

It sounds like you have an established Local Practice for feeders. (Or, local rider)

-Bug-
Why didn't you quote me?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Maybe.

-Bug-
Seems like this would all be spelled out somewhere. Like in some kind of book or something. It is in my neck of the woods. Incidentally- gotta agree with your observations here. Don't keel over gramps. Lol.

ughups10

Maybe.

-Bug-
I’m not with my phone 100% of the time and I’m not that low in seniority. Just low enough that I can’t get a 6 month bid.
I did talk to my Stew no one has any definitive answers. 🙄 just “We’re working on it” & “Everyone else is having the same problem”
This hasn’t been a problem in the past either just call back as soon as you see the missed call from them.

imsolazy

Wow! and I thought my local was a joke. The positive side of being on call at my place is if you don't feel like working nights or if you suspect they might send you somewhere you don't want to go you just don't answer the phone and their are no consequences other than missing pay.

imsolazy

I’m not with my phone 100% of the time and I’m not that low in seniority. Just low enough that I can’t get a 6 month bid.
I did talk to my Stew no one has any definitive answers. 🙄 just “We’re working on it” & “Everyone else is having the same problem”
This hasn’t been a problem in the past either just call back as soon as you see the missed call from them.
That is one of my favorite lines "We're working on it" then they never get back to you and ignore calls. I also like "they can do that"

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I’m not with my phone 100% of the time

You must have something better to do.... than take a work call.

Why work there at all ?

The positive side of being on call at my place is if you don't feel like working nights or if you suspect they might send you somewhere you don't want to go you just don't answer the phone and their are no consequences other than missing pay.

Yeah....

That happens.

imsolazy

You must have something better to do.... than take a work call.

Why work there at all ?

Yeah....

That happens.
A lot of people on call have hopes of making it full time but during the guessing game of figuring out if they will call or not call people find other things to do. I'm assuming you never experienced the joys of being on call

ughups10

A lot of people on call have hopes of making it full time but during the guessing game of figuring out if they will call or not call people find other things to do. I'm assuming you never experienced the joys of being on call
He definitely hasn’t been on call. Either I’m getting called in every 10 hours or they aren’t calling at all for the day. There’s no consistency at all. A lot of the time when I miss a call it’s because I’m asleep. 🤯 It’s not like it happens all the time maybe twice a month.

ughups10

Wow! and I thought my local was a joke. The positive side of being on call at my place is if you don't feel like working nights or if you suspect they might send you somewhere you don't want to go you just don't answer the phone and their are no consequences other than missing pay.
30 is definitely a joke

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
At one point here there were so many cover folks not answering that they threatened to start coding people no call/no show if they didn't call back.

In the Phoenix/Goodyear area, if you haven't been called and given your start time and assignment they have a specific window at like 0600 or something to get it. They don't drag you along all day or put your HOS or safety in jeopardy. From the guy I talked to, it most often has an odd impact on the first day, then your schedule kind of sets itself based on your first start day. At that, this only applies to the bottom 10-15 drivers. Sure it's inconvenient, but I'd rather be inconvenienced in feeder than be anywhere in package.

ughups10

In the Phoenix/Goodyear area, if you haven't been called and given your start time and assignment they have a specific window at like 0600 or something to get it. They don't drag you along all day or put your HOS or safety in jeopardy. From the guy I talked to, it most often has an odd impact on the first day, then your schedule kind of sets itself based on your first start day. At that, this only applies to the bottom 10-15 drivers. Sure it's inconvenient, but I'd rather be inconvenienced in feeder than be anywhere in package.
There’s an idea. It’s our bottom 100 guys that are in this situation. If we’re busy it’s usually not that bad. Expect to get called early Monday then and then every 10-12 hours once you punch out. Now during the slow season it’s a nightmare. In 1am on Monday then Wednesday rolls around 3pm. Friday 8pm start time. It’s wild.