“You guys are way overpaid!”

Zowert

Just thought I’d share a little incident with a customer today.

I was delivering a box of hello fresh to this house when the customer abruptly opened her front door. It was an unusual door because it opened outward instead of in, so it startled me and I accidentally dropped the box. It wasn’t damaged or anything. Pick it up and hand it over, “Sorry about that.” Customer says, “Oh nice job idiot!” Now I’m not sure why I said this but I did, “I know right. At forty bucks an hour I shouldn’t be dropping crap.” Only I used the S word.

“YOU MAKE HOW MUCH?!!” Literally screaming at me. I’m thinking, Jesus lady calm the ef down. I said, “Have a nice day” and turned to walk away. She continues to bark at me, “If they’re paying you forty dollars an hour to deliver boxes! That’s ridiculous! I don’t believe it.” I said, “You’re right, I’m lying to you. Bye bye now.” As I’m walking away she continues to rant. “Here I am with a Master’s, educating our youth for half what you make. What is wrong with society?! YOU GUYS ARE WAY OVERPAID!”

Funny thing is I was a public school teacher for close to five years. Yeah the pay is kinda low but you know what you’re signing up for. Anyway, it’s going to be real awkward delivering to that customer from now on. I wish I knew how to keep my big mouth shut.

How much do most people think we make anyway? Minimum wage?

worldwide

A lot of people most likely are not aware of UPS driver pay rates unless they know someone that works for the company. I'm going to assume that for those that are not "in the know", they lump UPS, FedEx and Amazon drivers all together. Payscale.com lists the average hourly rate for a "delivery driver" at $15.63 so perhaps that's what that lady (and many others) thinks. BTW, that hourly figure includes all types of delivery - food, package, car parts, etc.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I was delivering a box of hello fresh to this house when the customer abruptly opened her front door. It was an unusual door because it opened outward instead of in, so it startled me and I accidentally dropped the box. It wasn’t damaged or anything. Pick it up and hand it over, “Sorry about that.” Customer says, “Oh nice job idiot!” Now I’m not sure why I said this but I did, “I know right. At forty bucks an hour I shouldn’t be dropping crap.” Only I used the S word.

“YOU MAKE HOW MUCH?!!” Literally screaming at me. I’m thinking, Jesus lady calm the ef down. I said, “Have a nice day” and turned to walk away. She continues to bark at me, “If they’re paying you forty dollars an hour to deliver boxes! That’s ridiculous! I don’t believe it.” I said, “You’re right, I’m lying to you. Bye bye now.” As I’m walking away she continues to rant. “Here I am with a Master’s, educating our youth for half what you make. What is wrong with society?! YOU GUYS ARE WAY OVERPAID!”

Funny thing is I was a public school teacher for close to five years. Yeah the pay is kinda low but you know what you’re signing up for. Anyway, it’s going to be real awkward delivering to that customer from now on. I wish I knew how to keep my big mouth shut.

Many teachers in my state make over 100k. Summer's off plus all the other weeks and holidays.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Most people lumped us feeder drivers in with all truck drivers.......dumb.......a job a monkey could do......

seems like it now with all the 30 day wonders on the road. We recently had chain controls over Donner Pass and had over 200 trucks that could not proceed over summit because they had no chains.

so glad I'm retired. I tell everyone I know to stay clear of trucks.

Zowert

Many teachers in my state make over 100k. Summer's off plus all the other weeks and holidays.
Dang. I was salaried at $49k. This was almost ten years ago, so it was decent money then. I know private school teachers can make a lot more.

Thebrownblob

Next time say….
1652219307158.jpeg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
BTW I never took crap from customers. For a short time after the 97 strike I delivered packages.
When people complained to me I would tell them to use Fed Ex.
Some would call the center and tell them how rude I was . I got called into the office a couple times for that.

I just told the supes the truth
I don't take crap from anyone.

Zowert

A lot of people most likely are not aware of UPS driver pay rates unless they know someone that works for the company. I'm going to assume that for those that are not "in the know", they lump UPS, FedEx and Amazon drivers all together. Payscale.com lists the average hourly rate for a "delivery driver" at $15.63 so perhaps that's what that lady (and many others) thinks. BTW, that hourly figure includes all types of delivery - food, package, car parts, etc.
That’s probably it. One of my neighbors asked me if it was true that UPS drivers could make six figures a year. Said he didn’t believe it. I told him there are a couple OT hungry drivers in my building that clear $120k a year. His jaw dropped to the floor. He’s got an office job with a salary of $70k, “So uh… Are you guys hiring?” Haha..

Zowert

BTW I never took crap from customers. For a short time after the 97 strike I delivered packages.
When people complained to me I would tell them to use Fed Ex.
Some would call the center and tell them how rude I was . I got called into the office a couple times for that.

I just told the supes the truth
I don't take crap from anyone.
I’m not gonna lie, it was hard to keep my composure when she called me an idiot. I was kinda shocked at the upfront rudeness and disrespect. Seems like she looked down on us even before this incident.

Box Ox

“Here I am with a Master’s, educating our youth for half what you make. What is wrong with society?! YOU GUYS ARE WAY OVERPAID!”

I'd invite her to become a UPS driver and see if double the pay would be worthwhile for her. Because I'd bet it really wouldn't be.

That’s probably it. One of my neighbors asked me if it was true that UPS drivers could make six figures a year. Said he didn’t believe it. I told him there are a couple OT hungry drivers in my building that clear $120k a year. His jaw dropped to the floor. He’s got an office job with a salary of $70k, “So uh… Are you guys hiring?” Haha..

$70k for an air conditioned office job doesn't sound too bad.

I’m not gonna lie, it was hard to keep my composure when she called me an idiot. I was kinda shocked at the upfront rudeness and disrespect. Seems like she looked down on us even before this incident.

She's probably got a miserable personal life.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
$100k isn't a lot of money.

It's just working class job.

I also hope she gets the squirts from that junk ass boxed food she ordered.

It's probably long since spoiled before it got to her

rod

Retired 22 years
I cashed my weekly check at the bank in the little town I delivered to so everyone in town I’m sure knew what I made. I never got much grief for the pay but they sure gave me a hard time about all the vacation time I had. :-)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I understand. You dont wanna create any bad karma.

It's almost always better to take the high road.
It took a long time for me to learn this.

When people asked me how much I made I would just say it was a good union job with good benefits and left it at that.

Zowert

$100k isn't a lot of money.

It's just working class job.

I also hope she gets the squirts from that junk ass boxed food she ordered.

It's probably long since spoiled before it got to her
You’re right, with inflation it really isn’t a lot but it is enough to live comfortably. As long as you live within your means you’ll never have to worry about money.

I feel bad for Amazon drivers doing this crap for like $16-18hr and no benefits. There’s this one kid driving those Amazon sprinter vans I used to see quite often on my route. Just a hard working optimistic kid. He came up to me a while back all pumped, “I’m getting a promotion!” Oh really what is it? “I’m moving into step vans, they’re gonna be paying me twenty dollars an hour!” Step vans are what they call package cars. I didn’t have the heart to tell him he’s getting screwed. Haven’t seen him since, hopefully it’s working out for him.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You’re right, with inflation it really isn’t a lot but it is enough to live comfortably. As long as you live within your means you’ll never have to worry about money.

I feel bad for Amazon drivers doing this crap for like $16-18hr and no benefits. There’s this one kid driving those Amazon sprinter vans I used to see quite often on my route. Just a hard working optimistic kid. He came up to me a while back all pumped, “I’m getting a promotion!” Oh really what is it? “I’m moving into step vans, they’re gonna be paying me twenty dollars an hour!” Step vans are what they call package cars. I didn’t have the heart to tell him he’s getting screwed. Haven’t seen him since, hopefully it’s working out for him.
My first real job was mowing grass for $1 an hour. I was in high school.
My first job on my own was $2.24 an hour washing dishes in Florida. Was able to share an apt. with someone on that pay.

My first truck driving job hourly was $5 an hour. Was married with 2 kids at time. I think union drivers were making about $12 an hour at that time.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I do think things are getting worse for most folks. My father worked and my Mom stayed home and raised the family. That was par for the course. I worked and my spouse stayed home with 6 kids.

All my children are married with children and ALL spouses have to work ( with good jobs ) and are barely getting by.

Last edited:

Zowert

I understand. You dont wanna create any bad karma.

It's almost always better to take the high road.
It took a long time for me to learn this.

When people asked me how much I made I would just say it was a good union job with good benefits and left it at that.
Only time it’s fun to bring it up is during OT, when someone pulls up nose to nose with me while I’m blocking a residential street and refuses to move. Yeah, this has happened to me way more than it should. I like to tell them, “This is not a hill you wanna die on. I’m making a dollar a minute right now, we can sit here all night.” They realize they won’t win, get pissed and move. Works every time.