14,000 missed stops in my building

Chnandler Bong

It was our turn today in Toronto.It was a white knuckle day. They paged us at around 5pm and said to finish or call our pickups and sheet the undelivered packages as missed,and return to the building.I had 28 missed.I was wishing I had my old p800 back,the p57 freightliner sucked in the snow.I guestimate our bldg missed about 5000 stops
happy holidays

I agree...the p57's are worse to drive in the snow than my little S-10 pickup. It seemed to do a little better after I put 360 pounds of sand in the back. They're great to drive in good weather, though.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
In our center we have all the undelivered packages sorted by city. We are getting to a point where we are running out of room if we don't start getting more help trying to deliver stuff from Thursday! Our DM has informed us that a call went out to any company who had spare rentals. We are truly hurting out here in the West.

They are encouraging people to pick up their stuff at the UPS store if possible, then again the UPS store doesn't have a lot of room to begin with.

I'mTheMan

Here in Pacific Northwest, the snow storm is still on going and has never stopped and snow keep higher and higher. Over the weekend, the Boeing Field has a HUGE backlog of volume that need to process and few aircraft arriving from another city. Plus other aircraft grounded due to de-ice trucks may have ran out of fluids or problems with the spray system. Also, problem was not enough helpers. Instead, the Boeing Field managements have no choice but to recall layoff 22.3 full timers (The 22.3 full timers whom were layoff since Aug.) to report to work there and help the overflow of delayed air volume and cargo. With this experience to speed up the volume, the 22.3 was able to do it and get it done faster. I was called but, 2 things that one is we or I have to get a union's permission if we or I can be allowed to help with Boeing Field in different shift? Secondly, the storm was so severe and was unable to get to the road from very top hills where I live. As been few days now, we're dealing heavy mother nature going on and very limited plow trucks in our area to help to clear the roads and anti-ice is very difficult to keep getting ice off the road which it didn't help at all. So tomorrow, and tuesday, I will have to drive safely as I can but mother nature will continue the storm till tuesday or more until whatever it stops but all the UPS systems here are very much delayed for time being till we can find a way to beat the mother nature's snow storm. I have never seen anything like this before and it's the worst mother nature since 1990 and 1996 respectively.

ups79

Here in Pacific Northwest, the snow storm is still on going and has never stopped and snow keep higher and higher. Over the weekend, the Boeing Field has a HUGE backlog of volume that need to process and few aircraft arriving from another city. Plus other aircraft grounded due to de-ice trucks may have ran out of fluids or problems with the spray system. Also, problem was not enough helpers. Instead, the Boeing Field managements have no choice but to recall layoff 22.3 full timers (The 22.3 full timers whom were layoff since Aug.) to report to work there and help the overflow of delayed air volume and cargo. With this experience to speed up the volume, the 22.3 was able to do it and get it done faster. I was called but, 2 things that one is we or I have to get a union's permission if we or I can be allowed to help with Boeing Field in different shift? Secondly, the storm was so severe and was unable to get to the road from very top hills where I live. As been few days now, we're dealing heavy mother nature going on and very limited plow trucks in our area to help to clear the roads and anti-ice is very difficult to keep getting ice off the road which it didn't help at all. So tomorrow, and tuesday, I will have to drive safely as I can but mother nature will continue the storm till tuesday or more until whatever it stops but all the UPS systems here are very much delayed for time being till we can find a way to beat the mother nature's snow storm. I have never seen anything like this before and it's the worst mother nature since 1990 and 1996 respectively.

Well, "you the man", get ur done.

brownrodster

In our center we have all the undelivered packages sorted by city. We are getting to a point where we are running out of room if we don't start getting more help trying to deliver stuff from Thursday! Our DM has informed us that a call went out to any company who had spare rentals. We are truly hurting out here in the West.

We got a ton of snow in the last 24 hours. I just went out for coffee and drove through several of the streets I am to deliver. My ups truck cannot make it down these streets!!! The snow is too deep. A couple main roads were plowed, but the snow they plowed is piled up over 3 feet deep and is blocking many side roads. I saw several people shoveling their side roads just so they could get to the main road. The road to my house is 4x4 only. The snow is too deep for any car to get in and out. I bet I'll work 12 hours today and not even get 50 stops delivered. And this is decently dense resi area. There is simply no safe place to park. If I try to go down any side road I will get stuck and the main roads have barely enough room for normal traffic.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We got 9" of snow yesterday in to early this morning and it was business as usual for us. We started at 0830 and I was done by 1730. 206 stops, used my helper for 4 hours.

They lay you off but now they want help when the crap hits the fan. I would have told them to pound sand.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We got a ton of snow in the last 24 hours. I just went out for coffee and drove through several of the streets I am to deliver. My ups truck cannot make it down these streets!!! The snow is too deep. A couple main roads were plowed, but the snow they plowed is piled up over 3 feet deep and is blocking many side roads. I saw several people shoveling their side roads just so they could get to the main road. The road to my house is 4x4 only. The snow is too deep for any car to get in and out. I bet I'll work 12 hours today and not even get 50 stops delivered. And this is decently dense resi area. There is simply no safe place to park. If I try to go down any side road I will get stuck and the main roads have barely enough room for normal traffic.

Guess it's time to start loading up the handcarts.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The snow we are having in the Pacific NW is nothing short of catastrophic.

There is over a foot on the ground. We normally get 2 or 3 inches in an entire winter.

Massive power outages, trees down, abandoned vehicles interfering with what few snowplows we do have.

We went in today at 7:15 and at 3:00 we got paged to drop whatever we were doing and return to the building immediately. The roads were getting worse, at least 10 drivers got stuck and it was a 6 hr wait or longer for a tow truck.

I spent 2 hours parked in the back of my truck with my cellphone, calling my customers up on the mountain to let them know that they could come meet me. Its all I can do. Even the ones with 4x4's said they couldnt make it down the hill. There is over 3 ft of snow up there. There are stops in my truck that have been there over a week now, and hundreds more backed up in trailers that are stranded up in Seattle or over in Hermiston. I should have delivered 150 stops today; I got off 24.

We are on call tomorrow at 6:00 AM, they may decide to not even have us come in. Virtually all businesses are closed.

A rumor I heard is that next week they will bring low-seniority drivers who would otherwise be laid off up from Eugene, Albany and Salem where the weather hasnt been as bad, to help us get caught up. They are members of a different local so the union will have to approve it. I hope they do. We are getting killed here.

Our building is like a clogged toilet, only you cant shut the water off. We can scoop up the water and save it in cups and bowls and buckets, but eventually its all gonna have to go thru that drain and we are running out of places to stuff the packages in the meantime. And the water keeps getting higher and higher in the bowl....

I'mTheMan

They lay you off but now they want help when the crap hits the fan. I would have told them to pound sand.

Yeah but that isn't well worth forgiving to the management of how many mistakes been made since we been layoff. We'll see what happens after peak is over and go from there.

I'mTheMan

We will do a final volume before we're done by Christmas Eve. The ground peak is done but we would've have returned to normal start time but due to the latest storm and everything, we have to start by 2 pm and get it done by 9 pm. Besides the 2 day and 3 day volume got bigger than last year. So things are going very busy at such last minute right now and getting things done before we can be with family for christmas and watch football too! :)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Too bad UPS doesn't do like the power companies, and send crews from calm areas into those hard hit areas. I'd sign up for that kind of duty.

brownrodster

Too bad UPS doesn't do like the power companies, and send crews from calm areas into those hard hit areas. I'd sign up for that kind of duty.

They did this in our center a few years ago. Then sent in a whole ton of management from around the region to come in and drive rentals and deliver packages because we had maybe 10 or more trailers that weren't getting unloaded everyday.

brownrodster

The snow we are having in the Pacific NW is nothing short of catastrophic.

There is over a foot on the ground. We normally get 2 or 3 inches in an entire winter.

Yesturday was bad. I did a lot of walking. parked where I could and went off on long treks with armloads of packages. My truck could not make it up small hills because the snow was too deep. My center got rentals finally... But just to store undeliverable packages.