15 year package driver taking a Supervisor position...

Braman55

I'm at the point in my life where I work because I want to, not because I have to! My wife and I made shrewd moves with our money. Plus, she has always been the bread winner in our family! Not all jobs at UPS revolve around on road sups and package car drivers and the drama in between. I have been at UPS too long to just quit and go somewhere else. I'm only 36 and still wanto work till I'm 50. Managements air conditioned office is where I want to spend the next 14 years. and if it doesnt work out like some of you like to point out, then I will become a substitute teacher.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm at the point in my life where I work because I want to, not because I have to! My wife and I made shrewd moves with our money. Plus, she has always been the bread winner in our family! Not all jobs at UPS revolve around on road sups and package car drivers and the drama in between. I have been at UPS too long to just quit and go somewhere else. I'm only 36 and still wanto work till I'm 50. Managements air conditioned office is where I want to spend the next 14 years. and if it doesnt work out like some of you like to point out, then I will become a substitute teacher.

Substitute Teacher sounds better. 7 hours a day 8 months a year.

Braman55

And it may get to that point...but I'd like to continue investing this salary for as long as I can. If its 6 months or 6 years I'm not going to walk away from putting this much money into my portfolio on a yearly basis. I will be at UPS until I feel like I don't want to be at UPS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
And it may get to that point...but I'd like to continue investing this salary for as long as I can. If its 6 months or 6 years I'm not going to walk away from putting this much money into my portfolio on a yearly basis. I will be at UPS until I feel like I don't want to be at UPS.

Best of luck.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Making as much or more than you.
Spends most the day in temperature controlled office.
Get to go to his kids ball games.

Do it I detect some jealousy here?

H

No, the "safety guy" is still a driver who comes in early and stays late painting pumpkins and making yard signs.
It's the top rung for wannabe, suckup drivers.
It's the minor league these days for perspective oncar supes.
Their knees take a beating and their lips come away chapped.
They do make more money by working more hours though.

W

want to retire

Making as much or more than you.
Spends most the day in temperature controlled office.
Get to go to his kids ball games.

Do it I detect some jealousy here?

H

Maybe he'll sit in an office......and ponder if he'll reach retirement........or be tempted to alter records to keep his job.....or become an a-hole or even worse center manager..........or sit around grim faced wondering if he'll go another year without a raise.......but he will be comfortable....climate-wise.

over9five

Staff member
No, the "safety guy" is still a driver who comes in early and stays late painting pumpkins and making yard signs.
It's the top rung for wannabe, suckup drivers.
It's the minor league these days for perspective oncar supes.
Their knees take a beating and their lips come away chapped.
They do make more money by working more hours though.

Yup, that's what I was saying. After he puts his letter in, he'll be "da boy" for several years as a driver.

Braman55

No, I won't! Because, I'm not a miserable person. But after reading a lot of these post there are some miserable people out there. If UPS makes you feel this bad ...why work there? I have had good managers and bad managers, good sups and bad and not one of them could ever make me feel bad about myself or the job I did! I enjoy being a service provider but FOR ME it's time to move on. I don't understand the malice towards going into management.

Borderline 9.5

No, I won't! Because, I'm not a miserable person. But after reading a lot of these post there are some miserable people out there. If UPS makes you feel this bad ...why work there? I have had good managers and bad managers, good sups and bad and not one of them could ever make me feel bad about myself or the job I did! I enjoy being a service provider but FOR ME it's time to move on. I don't understand the malice towards going into management.

After this post, you'll fit right in with management. good luck

W

want to retire

I'll say this: Golden Boy-I've put in more than twice your time. I've seen alot of mgt. come and go. Most of the "happy go lucky" ones disappear(leave). Most of the sups I ever liked or seemed fair, don't work for the company any longer and they didn't retire. To be candid-if you don't understand the adversarial relationship between mgt and hourly.....you will be quickly promoted upwards(especially if you are minority) or you are a dead man(career wise).

Braman55

I don't have to make you a believer. But management could never make me feel bad about anything that 31.36 an hour wouldn't make me feel good about. I never fought the system. One package at a time, one stop at a time. Take my lunch everyday. I didnt try to cheat, run and an gun, or skip lunches. I did ****ty routes and easy routes. I did my job and did it well....over dispatched well I made 85 a year. I didnt complain about overdispatch bc i know alot pwople would love to have this job. I dont have problems with other peopleand they dont have problems with me. And if they do i dont care. Im at ups for a check not friends. The people that have problems with management probablymhave problems with people from all walks of life. I'm sure my center manager would live to have everybody off at 5 so he could go home too. But that's not the reality of the job. I knew I wasn't in a 9-5 job. I made the money and was happy with it. What a driver needs help?? Damn right I'll go help him. More money in my pocket. Don't see your kids?? I see them every Saturday and Sunday and have breakfast with them Monday-Friday. I didn't go to ups to make friends I went to make money and I did. That's why it's called a J O B if was anything else they would spell it friend-U-N.

W

want to retire

Wait a minute! This is Friday, right? Have you ever seen LSD23 and Integrity in the same thread? Hah! Integrity is that you? LSD....is that code? Maybe LDS?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Jealousy leads to hateful behavior many times.
It's a smoldering self-destructive force that eats away from the inside.

I remember when I was in the 5th grade and many of the other school kids would harass me and tell me I was crazy because I made A+ and 100's on all the tests and read books all the time. My mother told told me they were just jealous.

I have remembered this over the years and especially about other people who were smarter and worked harder than me and "achieved" more success than me.

Don't worry about the people who don't want you to achieve your goals.
You sound like you understand what your goals are and my guess is neither these naysayers nor UPS will keep you from making the right decision for yourself ... whatever that may be.

Johney

I don't think it's malice towards going in, I just see how their treated and the unrealistic goals they are forced to try and achieve just doesn't seem like what anyone who has drove as long as you(or me)would want to do. I talk to my on-road and some of the crap he tells me just blows my mind. It's just not something I would do,but I understand where you're coming from and i wish you the best of luck. Just make sure you think long and hard before accepting because as you know once you cross over to the dark side you can't come back.