Package car driver position

Chol Tong

I’ve worked for UPS for the last 8 years and almost quit a few times. But I stuck it out and decided to pursue a driver position. They scheduled me for a road test about a year ago without an online class or understanding how to drive a package car. Needless to say I didn’t even come close to passing the road test. Recently after a year I was offered a full time position for a package car driver. This time I was required to take an online class, obtain an friend endorsement license, and a DOT physical. After completing all of these requirements, I was scheduled for another road test. With the experience from the first road test, combined with the online class training I did a lot better this time. Unfortunately this time I didn’t pass because of driving a bit below the speed limit and during the backing portion I came close to hitting a trailer. But overall the guy said I was better at centering the truck than most the other people he rode with. I guess my question is when would I be able to take another road test and when is UPS usually taking on more drivers?

rod

Retired 22 years
Even with an automatic with power steering, power brakes and a back up camera you still couldn't pass. What has this younger generation come to?

Chol Tong

Even with an automatic with power steering, power brakes and a back up camera you still couldn't pass. What has this younger generation come to?
I was supposed to do it in one go without moving forward to correct the position a little more. At the same time I’m still fairly new to driving a vehicle of this size with the chance of getting a position that could potentially earn me six figures. Nerves were a key factor.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was supposed to do it in one go without moving forward to correct the position a little more. At the same time I’m still fairly new to driving a vehicle of this size with the chance of getting a position that could potentially earn me six figures. Nerves were a key factor.
Hang in there--better luck next time.

542thruNthru

I’ve worked for UPS for the last 8 years and almost quit a few times. But I stuck it out and decided to pursue a driver position. They scheduled me for a road test about a year ago without an online class or understanding how to drive a package car. Needless to say I didn’t even come close to passing the road test. Recently after a year I was offered a full time position for a package car driver. This time I was required to take an online class, obtain an friend endorsement license, and a DOT physical. After completing all of these requirements, I was scheduled for another road test. With the experience from the first road test, combined with the online class training I did a lot better this time. Unfortunately this time I didn’t pass because of driving a bit below the speed limit and during the backing portion I came close to hitting a trailer. But overall the guy said I was better at centering the truck than most the other people he rode with. I guess my question is when would I be able to take another road test and when is UPS usually taking on more drivers?
Lots of people don't pass the first few times brother. See if you can talk to your manager and ask. If he'd allow you to just drive a truck around the yard a few times everyday off the clock once everyone has left. If he won't then you can try renting a U-Haul for a day and finding a parking lot to practice.

Ignore @rod his road test was being able to turn on the truck and knowing which way was left and right while smoking a cigarette.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Lots of people don't pass the first few times brother. See if you can talk to your manager and ask. If he'd allow you to just drive a truck around the yard a few times everyday off the clock once everyone has left. If he won't then you can try renting a U-Haul for a day and finding a parking lot to practice.

Ignore @rod his road test was being able to turn on the truck and knowing which way was left and right while smoking a cigarette.
"Do you know which way this map is orientated?"
"Yes...?"
"Hired!"

twotwofour

passing the road test isn't a guarantee for a full time driving position, you still need to scratch. The road test should be the easiest thing for you.
If you want experience with step vans and delivering, you can literally apply to any Amazon DSP and get hired on the spot as long you pass a breathing test. Their full size steps vans are similar in size, and you can pick the days you can work.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I've gotta 2nd @542thruNthru on this one. The road test back when I took it was a Friday afternoon 5 minute drive around the block. Back up 10ft. and park on a hill...done. Granted the package car had power nothing, no backup camera and was a stick compared to these easy to drive package cars today. I hadn't ever really driven a stick prior to that, and didn't much worry about it knowing the test was easy. I ground the gears a few times during my ride and was on the road the following Monday. Here's the keys, here's a map, there's your package car for the day kid...go! But there's absolutely no question that they're harder on these kids today. Towards the end of my UPS days, I saw plenty of potential drivers washed out for not reciting the depth of knowledge questions word for word. Hell, I never learned that crap and drove 30yrs accident free.

rod

Retired 22 years

But I did it all with a manual shift- high step P-800 with no power steering and no back up camera. ---- and yes I was smoking.

bumped

You knew you had trouble with the driving portion. Did it ever occur to you to rent a larger vehicle at UHaul to practice with for a day?

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member

Bear in mind he never did an Eaton 10 speed. Or actually back a trailer

badpal

UPS will jerk u around until they actually short of drivers. at that point their high standards' will drop dramatically in a hurry. GL

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
If they've disqualified you twice on the supe ride along, odds are good they just don't want you as a driver.

If they get real hard up, as the other guys have said, maybe you'd have a shot.

They grade you on points. My guess is that when you almost backed into a trailer, your supervisor decided to "find" the rest of the points needed to DQ you.

Chol Tong

You knew you had trouble with the driving portion. Did it ever occur to you to rent a larger vehicle at UHaul to practice with for a day?
I did think of this but I would have nowhere to store it as I live in an apartment complex. Only parts I struggled on are going 35-37 in 40 speed zone and backing.

Brownwind

I did think of this but I would have nowhere to store it as I live in an apartment complex. Only parts I struggled on are going 35-37 in 40 speed zone and backing.
You got this. We all had struggles along the way.
Try backing up your personal vehicle with just your mirrors. After everyone leaves practice in the driveway with the biggest package car you can get.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’ve worked for UPS for the last 8 years and almost quit a few times. But I stuck it out and decided to pursue a driver position. They scheduled me for a road test about a year ago without an online class or understanding how to drive a package car. Needless to say I didn’t even come close to passing the road test. Recently after a year I was offered a full time position for a package car driver. This time I was required to take an online class, obtain a friend endorsement license, and a DOT physical. After completing all of these requirements, I was scheduled for another road test. With the experience from the first road test, combined with the online class training I did a lot better this time. Unfortunately this time I didn’t pass because of driving a bit below the speed limit and during the backing portion I came close to hitting a trailer. But overall the guy said I was better at centering the truck than most the other people he rode with. I guess my question is when would I be able to take another road test and when is UPS usually taking on more drivers?
Come on Mr Tong how many chances do you need? Package car isn’t for everyone set your goals a little higher go for feeder where when you crash you can cause some real damage

PoirotAtUPS

I’ve worked for UPS for the last 8 years and almost quit a few times. But I stuck it out and decided to pursue a driver position. They scheduled me for a road test about a year ago without an online class or understanding how to drive a package car. Needless to say I didn’t even come close to passing the road test. Recently after a year I was offered a full time position for a package car driver. This time I was required to take an online class, obtain a friend endorsement license, and a DOT physical. After completing all of these requirements, I was scheduled for another road test. With the experience from the first road test, combined with the online class training I did a lot better this time. Unfortunately this time I didn’t pass because of driving a bit below the speed limit and during the backing portion I came close to hitting a trailer. But overall the guy said I was better at centering the truck than most the other people he rode with. I guess my question is when would I be able to take another road test and when is UPS usually taking on more drivers?
You really need to drive before the test.