3 breakdowns in 1 day

R

ROCKETMAN

when I was new at ups,my accerator cable broke and again,that district manager told me to take off the engine cover,puy my foot in the carb and bring it home that way.I did it,it was scary,the wind was so bad it was like I was on a motorcycle.And it was freezing.Luckily I made it.
That happened to me to I HAD THE SAME REQUEST I TOLD THEM TO GET ME ANOTHER PKG CAR THEY DID.

A

Anon brown

just yesterday 1-19-07 my entire rear axle fell off my truck!!! Thank god I was only doing 20 MPH. As it was the truck almost rolled over. I touched the brakes and thought that I had been rear ended. The back end jumped up and then slammed on the ground. the truck did a 180 and came to a stop on some one's front lawn. Lucky no other cars were close. One leaf spring was attached to the axle and the drive shaft was still attached. It was 1983 UPS special. The four bolts holding the leaf spring on all shreded and broke. I thank god I wasn't going any faster, I'd be in the hospital right now.

trickpony1

On two separate occasions, while pre-trip inspecting my feeder tractor, I have found broken "u-bolts" (the bolts that hold the axle to the leaf spring).
It's a good idea to check the steering axle also to assure all the u-bolts are intact.
While I am checking the front and rear axle u-bolts, I also look for any oily stuff that might be slung on the inside surface of any of my tires. This would suggest a seal leak which could result in a seized axle or brake failure.
Take those precious minutes to do a good pre-trip!!! The life you save could be your own.
I won't comment on whether the company cares.

disneyworld

just yesterday 1-19-07 my entire rear axle fell off my truck!!! Thank god I was only doing 20 MPH. As it was the truck almost rolled over. I touched the brakes and thought that I had been rear ended. The back end jumped up and then slammed on the ground. the truck did a 180 and came to a stop on some one's front lawn. Lucky no other cars were close. One leaf spring was attached to the axle and the drive shaft was still attached. It was 1983 UPS special. The four bolts holding the leaf spring on all shreded and broke. I thank god I wasn't going any faster, I'd be in the hospital right now.
Or a coffin!!!!!!!!!!

dragracer66

As a mechanic speaking here I don't know you guy's and gals drive those old things every day. They are junk and most of them should have been junked years ago!!! But we don't make the call on when it get's junked some IE :censored2: sitting behind a desk does! You all get props from me on that!!!!:thumbup1:

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Hey we at mesquite have finally gotten disposal approval to get crush our oldest p800. A 1976 model GMC w/the old 292. We were dancing in the middle of the shop, now just another 135 more to go. We were told that all the older high step GMC would be crush within the next 5 yrs. LOL :lol:
I'll believe it when the last one is on the wrecker headed to the crusher.