3 tier driver system

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
My hub is going to start 22.4s. We have part time drivers.

Does this mean they can use part time drivers, 22.4s and RPCDs as a 3 tier driver system?

So the 25% 22.4 rule is basically out the window from my understanding, they could just hire more part time drivers instead of RPCD and keeping that balance of 22.4 and RPCD?

Asking from anyone thats in a similar situation or knows

Up In Smoke

Does this mean they can use part time drivers, 22.4s and RPCDs as a 3 tier driver system?

So the 25% 22.4 rule is basically out the window from my understanding, they could just hire more part time drivers instead of RPCD and keeping that balance of 22.4 and RPCD?

I'm not familiar with part time driver, is that a vacation coverage driver used during summer "free" period. This person is not eligible to gain seniority, just work experience. Are you referring to a SDV driver? When counting tier systems don't leave out the subcontractors (PVD) who have a completely different scale.

Jakamoe

I'm not familiar with part time driver, is that a vacation coverage driver used during summer "free" period. This person is not eligible to gain seniority, just work experience. Are you referring to a SDV driver? When counting tier systems don't leave out the subcontractors (PVD) who have a completely different scale.

Part time cover driver is basically what 22.4 is but without any of the benefits and lower pay grade. They cover routes and run splits. They are technically inside employees who get the same benefits as inside employees and vacations are at 20hrs for inside rate. They work all year around driving. Its a rare system for ups from what I hear. They gain seniority on the part time side of things.

JustDeliverIt

We have PTCD at my building and the new drivers they are training are 22.4's. But our PTCD are getting first crack at being "promoted" to 22.4 since it is a FT position. Also, the language in the contract states that if you are hiring 22.4's that the local is supposed to verify the number of RPCD jobs and those are "protected jobs".

The balance should always be 25% ratio of 22.4's to RPCD. A local, I would think, would fight to promote any driver into the 22.4 rank and 22.4's to RPCD as retirements occur since they are both FT positions. Outside of the protected number and 25% ratio I would think the company could hire as many PTCD they would want but you run out of "extra" work eventually.

Jakamoe

We have PTCD at my building and the new drivers they are training are 22.4's. But our PTCD are getting first crack at being "promoted" to 22.4 since it is a FT position. Also, the language in the contract states that if you are hiring 22.4's that the local is supposed to verify the number of RPCD jobs and those are "protected jobs".

The balance should always be 25% ratio of 22.4's to RPCD. A local, I would think, would fight to promote any driver into the 22.4 rank and 22.4's to RPCD as retirements occur since they are both FT positions. Outside of the protected number and 25% ratio I would think the company could hire as many PTCD they would want but you run out of "extra" work eventually.
So basically, they never have to hire new 22.4 or rpcd once they reach the 25% because they can just keep hiring part time covers instead?

JustDeliverIt

So basically, they never have to hire new 22.4 or rpcd once they reach the 25% because they can just keep hiring part time covers instead?

I can only speak for my building but just about everyone starts out as a PTCD as it is unless you stayed inside until a FT bid sheet was posted. They have you work as PT until your seniority moves you up to a FT position.

Jakamoe

I can only speak for my building but just about everyone starts out as a PTCD as it is unless you stayed inside until a FT bid sheet was posted. They have you work as PT until your seniority moves you up to a FT position.
Right, so it essentially creates a 3 tier driver system. Thank you for your knowledge good citizen

charm299

I am a tcd, we work year round for the most part. i am a m-friend that and they are making us do Saturday ground while no full timers have been working on saturday unless they voluntee. They have t-s tcds also with less seniority that only work a 5 day week unlike us who have to work a 6 day schedule. Shouldn’t full timers should be doing ground on Saturday?

PT Car Washer

How do they determine the number of protected RPCD positions? The number of FT routes going out each day? Do FT cover drivers count? We don't have PT cover drivers. We have 22.4 drivers who essentially own their own route because they run it everyday.

JustDeliverIt

How do they determine the number of protected RPCD positions? The number of FT routes going out each day? Do FT cover drivers count? We don't have PT cover drivers. We have 22.4 drivers who essentially own their own route because they run it everyday.

The contract says that the local and building management will determine a number. Ours did it by FT bid positions (FT Cover was included in that) and determined the number for our building. Then based the number of 22.4's on the 25% of the agreed upon protected RPCD jobs.

542thruNthru

What supplemental/rider are you under?

Screenshot_20200617-073149_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Great job Hoffa!