30 day probation question

Brownapple

I was doing my 30 days and finished day 8 this last Friday. I was called this morning and told that I was disqualified becuse I am not progressing fast enough. I know that I have been slow the last few days and just got my route building numbers and streets down better on Friday and figured out that I can’t follow the EDD top to bottom if I skip stops during air. I also spoke with a few drivers Friday asking for any tips they have for me to increase my speed and was planning on implementing them this week. I had an on road supervisor with me the first three days and did not get much experience using the DIAD. I’m not sure if there is anything that can be done, but I feel like I was not given enough time to figure out the process of how the DIAD and EDD route works. I was not given any feedback from a supervisor on my progression or speed until this morning, so I was not given the chance to make improvements. When I did ask a supervisor last week about my speed, since I was concerned that I was not getting my route done fast enough, he just told me that, “I was new and that I would get it as I go.”

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Them pulling you off early because of speed day 8 is utter bs. Talk to your steward. My advice is if they stick you back on show up early like an hour or hour and a half and organize your truck. Look at the computer for your planned day and write things down that you can remember. If they force you to take your full lunch spend half your time off the clock resting and eating and the other half reorganizing and pushing everything to the front. This is only during your qualifying. After that, :censored2: it show up at start time.

Diad is easy. Some centers are picky with diad use but you are literally doing the same thing for stop completion for almost every stop. If you can’t cir a business stop you have to get a signature. If you’re in a door to door apartment complex with business on the bottom floor you shipper release packages unless you have the ability to driver release front door. If you’re at a locker system you shouldn’t have to delivery location to other and scan an info notice and type in locker. If you scan a package and select deliver and big arrow down selection E is for locker and it assigns it as REL.

If they don’t put you back on then this is always an option

Last edited:

JJinVA

Them pulling you off early because of speed day 8 is utter bs. Talk to your steward. My advice is if they stick you back on show up early like an hour or hour and a half and organize your truck. Look at the computer for your planned day and write things down that you can remember. If they force you to take your full lunch spend half your time off the clock resting and eating and the other half reorganizing and pushing everything to the front. This is only during your qualifying. After that, :censored2: it show up at start time.

Diad is easy. Some centers are picky with diad use but you are literally doing the same thing for stop completion for almost every stop. If you can’t cir a business stop you have to get a signature. If you’re in a door to door apartment complex with business on the bottom floor you shipper release packages unless you have the ability to driver release front door. If you’re at a locker system you shouldn’t have to delivery location to other and scan an info notice and type in locker. If you scan a package and select deliver and big arrow down selection E is for locker and it assigns it as REL.

I agree, 8 days is bull :censored2:. I was scrambling in my first 30 days for sure, skipping lunch and then still punching out an hour to make my numbers look better etc (but I would have snacks on hand to eat through the day, peanut-butter crackers, watermelon etc). I didnt REALLLLLY get my route down until about 2 months in, then I had it pretty much memorized.

If they are being this hard on you this early, they might foresee you costing them more money than you make them. I know we have a guy at our center that they have been gunning for since he started because he stands around and talks at his stops like hes at the bar just having a casual conversation about life. I dont know if thats the case for you but if it is that would explain the harsh disqualification.

I agree w 60lb though you need to talk to a union rep and demand the full 30 day period. And also like 60lb said, go in an hour and a half early, sort your truck, take a black marker and write the PAL number on the box, then underline it, and underneathe it write the address number. Something like

And do that on every box especially the ones on the floor to where you can easily see the numbers at a glance to help speed up your package selection. Its not worth wasting your time to do that on plastic bags but you will massively improve your time if you do that every day. Not only does it make it easier to spot but it makes it easier for you and the loader to put things in their proper order/location.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
How many new people started with you?

Are they progressing faster?

Is your center busy?

Lots of things could be the reason.

Brownapple

How many new people started with you?

Are they progressing faster?

Is your center busy?

Lots of things could be the reason.
Three of us did the training the same week. The one person I spoke with seemed to be progressing faster than me but it’s hard to say since they started their 30 six days before I did. Yes, my center is busy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was doing my 30 days and finished day 8 this last Friday. I was called this morning and told that I was disqualified becuse I am not progressing fast enough. I know that I have been slow the last few days and just got my route building numbers and streets down better on Friday and figured out that I can’t follow the EDD top to bottom if I skip stops during air. I also spoke with a few drivers Friday asking for any tips they have for me to increase my speed and was planning on implementing them this week. I had an on road supervisor with me the first three days and did not get much experience using the DIAD. I’m not sure if there is anything that can be done, but I feel like I was not given enough time to figure out the process of how the DIAD and EDD route works. I was not given any feedback from a supervisor on my progression or speed until this morning, so I was not given the chance to make improvements. When I did ask a supervisor last week about my speed, since I was concerned that I was not getting my route done fast enough, he just told me that, “I was new and that I would get it as I go.”

DA2C2D6C-0BF0-41E4-8C56-084C79C97A0A.gif

Not again
Why is it anybody that gets disqualified thinks it wasn’t their fault?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They're desperate for ppl right now, if they yanked the plug on you after 8 days you must have been doing absolutely godawful.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Three of us did the training the same week. The one person I spoke with seemed to be progressing faster than me but it’s hard to say since they started their 30 six days before I did. Yes, my center is busy.
Some things you have to take as a sign.

8 days was not bad...

They could have abused you for weeks only to cut you.

Don't sweat it.

Do you know how much over you was per day?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Our center is incredibly busy and we have 8 trainees on qualification right now. It is absolutely unfair to them. This heat and this volume is too much to train on. Especially during peak vacation times and covid cuts/injuries taking place. Routes can’t get filled so routes gets dispersed onto other routes going out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Our center is incredibly busy and we have 8 trainees on qualification right now. It is absolutely unfair to them. This heat and this volume is too much to train on. Especially during peak vacation times and covid cuts/injuries taking place. Routes can’t get filled so routes gets dispersed onto other routes going out.

It’s how they weed out the week

Ackerlin

Damn I'm glad I'm not just starting my career at this hell hole. I feel sorry for the young bucks.
250+ stops every day since day 2, had a few low 200 days, but to me and everyone else starting out, this 250 stops is the norm sadly, and I hear of the 130-150 stop everyday weeks, 90 stop saturdays, etc. On top of it all, us new :censored2: boys are 22.4s, unattractive to start at the bottom with everything going on atm.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
250+ stops every day since day 2, had a few low 200 days, but to me and everyone else starting out, this 250 stops is the norm sadly, and I hear of the 130-150 stop everyday weeks, 90 stop saturdays, etc. On top of it all, us new :censored2: boys are 22.4s, unattractive to start at the bottom with everything going on atm.
To quote a center manager when i first started driving, "We aint worried about the wear and tear on the chicken's ass, we just want the eggs".

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
To get disqualified at 8 days means one of two things. You were incredibly slow or counter productive or you screwed up somewhere and don't want to admit it. To get the boot as a 22.4 after 8 days tells me you were not worth the trouble.