3rd Day - UPS Pre-Sort - What I've Learned

IDoLessWorkThanMost

10 times what a preloader makes is: 10 times his weekly paycheck (- approx. $180-200) = $1800-2000 a month is what he meant. I don't think he meant that he was making $85 an hour.

Apples to oranges. I'm not sure where that type of thought process comes into play..... well I'll for one sure be jealous making over 35/hr overtime come Aug! ;):whiteflag::whiteflag:

atatbl

Should I have said "we"??

[-]I[/-],[-]We[/-] kinda had the same question?

Yes! You imbeciles! How dare you try and share "your" outlook on things here! This is a private forum that "Idonowork" runs! How dare you try and give true specifics about sup vacation time and bonuses. You even had the nerve to tell people here that PT sup salaries are not based on 20hrs a week and OT is available....... Have you no shame?

On behalf of "nowork" I will offer you a penance. Renounce all things management and admit to knowing nothing about "your" life compared to what he knows about "your" life. Admit that, in reality, he runs all things and knows all. Hence his amazing stature as a person. He is so confident he comes into "his" forum and enlightens all the viewers that you do indeed know nothing. Do you really believe you would need to be in management to know how your pay works? Of course not. In fact, as he demonstrated, he knows more about your pay from working behind a counter than you ever will. Hence his previous posts telling us about our benefits and working an "extra month". Then, when it is pointed out that he is completely wrong about these specifics he responds with:

And you call my posts bad. I knew you were a supervisor to have said such biting and self-serving things and now it's clad. Talk about self serving, condenscending behavior. C'mon sups, show us all your 2 week earnings and blot out your names.

Translation: Why u do that? You hurted my feelings. Whyz you so means? Fine then, I am telling you to do something rediculouz. You proved me wrongz. This is so unfair. OMGZZZZZZ!!!! I gotz pwned!

pkg handler

well I havent found out yet how much I'll be making being a p/t supe yet .. but i assure you it wont be 10x what i was making i made 200 a week ..so 800 a month ... if i heard right i think it started at 1700..? if anybody else knows or has some insight on where they start out in the delaware valley ( pa ) i'd appreciate it

IDoLessWorkThanMost

well I havent found out yet how much I'll be making being a p/t supe yet .. but i assure you it wont be 10x what i was making i made 200 a week ..so 800 a month ... if i heard right i think it started at 1700..? if anybody else knows or has some insight on where they start out in the delaware valley ( pa ) i'd appreciate it

A new-hire loader makes 5x a supervisor pay.

(If you compute 10,000/year into 2,000/mo)

:laughing:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
This is an attempt to get back on track here - yes, I know, Selfish, ME, ME, ME....

Finished the week. Supposedly had top numbers every day.

Called into office, told I could start Saturday delivery next week ( I passed all written tests on the computer, taking driving test Tuesday)

Asked if I wanted to try other areas, did some time on sort, small sort, introduced to loading but didn't do any.

Union or no Union, Maybe those strategically placed Dunkin Donuts did the trick?

atatbl

This is an attempt to get back on track here - yes, I know, Selfish, ME, ME, ME....

Called into office, told I could start Saturday delivery next week ( I passed all written tests on the computer, taking driving test Tuesday)

Asked if I wanted to try other areas, did some time on sort, small sort, introduced to loading but didn't do any.

Union or no Union, Maybe those strategically placed Dunkin Donuts did the trick?

What do you think you are doing? Apparently you didn't get the memo!

Thread-hijack.jpg

lulz. I'm kidding. It sounds like you are impressing everyone. But it might be bad that you are trying to impress literally everyone. That is what it seems to me anyways.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Well if you think the suck-up approach works, then maybe it's time to step up past dunkies and start some real :censored2: kissin. Join the saftey committee! :peaceful:

bellesotico

BOXstar

I think I missed the written test part..lol..
All I had to do was do my MDOT phys. and pass the road test.

I am really surprised that they are bringing you on Saturdays and you don't have seniority yet.
Different center/hub different rules? But hey! Good for you! It's a nice way to pad your paycheck :)

Braveheart

I made a huge life change, decided to work for UPS. Talked to everyone, read everything I could find, understood practically everyone works up from the bottom.

"Ah the pay isn't great, but the benefits are fantastic". Next person I hear that from is gonna get strangled. I just finished my 3rd 3:30am - 8:30am shift.

First off, I'm in my early 40s. Good shape. Hours don't bother me, labor does not bother me. Here is what I have learned from the hiring process & 3 days of work;

1. The interview - I was very prepared, resume, work history, everything, which was a waste of my time. HR manager did the mirror test - he held a mirror up to my mouth to see if it would fog up. Obviously, it did. He scheduled a second interview.

2. 2nd interview, 4:30am - General manager had me come in to office. While he was on cell phone AND conference call AND radio, he asked if I had transportation. I answered yes, he said ok, start Monday.

3. Sucking Up - I want to move up with UPS as fast as humanly possible. In my 40+ years, I've never kissed anyone's ass, but I've tried to make up for it in the last 3 days. It has become clear that will get me nowhere.

4. Intelligence - I have 25 years experience in management, running businesses, a college degree, and an IQ WELL over 100. The people who see what I do, do not (not that I care how smart/experienced they are, just that they won't have the ability to see my capabilities)

5. Training - My training consisted of 7 words - "Here's a truck. Unload it. Labels up"

6. Side note - I'm paid $8.50 an hour. Our local fast food joint pays $9.50.

7. Advancement - On speaking with other employees, I've been told the time frame to advance to a driver is anywhere from 6-10 years to when the earth crashes back into the sun.

Somebody - Anybody - lie to me if you have to - tell me I did not make a huge, huge mistake.
I would go to fast food joint where you can:

A= advance faster
B= make more per hour
C= get more hours
D= get overtime
E= get free food
friend= flexible schedule
G= not blow out your back or knees
H= work inside and not in rain, heat, sun
I= not get chased by pit bulls

I could go on. We that are in full time are in for long haul. You still have a chance to switch with not much time invested.

rocket man

your a joke 3 days your not even a number with this comp if you trhink its life altering now you best get ready you havent even begun.

tieguy

Banned
I would go to fast food joint where you can:

A= advance faster
B= make more per hour
C= get more hours
D= get overtime
E= get free food
friend= flexible schedule
G= not blow out your back or knees
H= work inside and not in rain, heat, sun
I= not get chased by pit bulls

I could go on. We that are in full time are in for long haul. You still have a chance to switch with not much time invested.

perhaps you can help him get hired at whatever fast food joint you're currently working at?

I know you're not working for ups and telling him to go work somewhere else....are you?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Hey - let's play nice..

1st week done. All managers know me by name, I start Saturday driving next week, The Dunkin Donuts went only to the Dispatch lady(?) and I've worked three other positions filling in after I finished my work.

Took ALL available tests, passed them all (but one - long story)

I lost 8lbs and I'm home in time for breakfast with my kids. I'm feeling more comfortable now than I did 3 days in. We'll see what next week brings.