3rd Day - UPS Pre-Sort - What I've Learned

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I made a huge life change, decided to work for UPS. Talked to everyone, read everything I could find, understood practically everyone works up from the bottom.

"Ah the pay isn't great, but the benefits are fantastic". Next person I hear that from is gonna get strangled. I just finished my 3rd 3:30am - 8:30am shift.

First off, I'm in my early 40s. Good shape. Hours don't bother me, labor does not bother me. Here is what I have learned from the hiring process & 3 days of work;

1. The interview - I was very prepared, resume, work history, everything, which was a waste of my time. HR manager did the mirror test - he held a mirror up to my mouth to see if it would fog up. Obviously, it did. He scheduled a second interview.

2. 2nd interview, 4:30am - General manager had me come in to office. While he was on cell phone AND conference call AND radio, he asked if I had transportation. I answered yes, he said ok, start Monday.

3. Sucking Up - I want to move up with UPS as fast as humanly possible. In my 40+ years, I've never kissed anyone's ass, but I've tried to make up for it in the last 3 days. It has become clear that will get me nowhere.

4. Intelligence - I have 25 years experience in management, running businesses, a college degree, and an IQ WELL over 100. The people who see what I do, do not (not that I care how smart/experienced they are, just that they won't have the ability to see my capabilities)

5. Training - My training consisted of 7 words - "Here's a truck. Unload it. Labels up"

6. Side note - I'm paid $8.50 an hour. Our local fast food joint pays $9.50.

7. Advancement - On speaking with other employees, I've been told the time frame to advance to a driver is anywhere from 6-10 years to when the earth crashes back into the sun.

Somebody - Anybody - lie to me if you have to - tell me I did not make a huge, huge mistake.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Somebody - Anybody - lie to me if you have to - tell me I did not make a huge, huge mistake.

This is your third day. I can tell you driving...you have to get on the list. But I believe you have to be there six months b4 you can do that. PT Sup positions come around pretty often...get your foot in the door...show them what and if your capable of doing the work and submit your "Letter of Intent" within the first month. They will tell you you have to wait six months to do that too....however I am living proof..that simply is not true!

OBTW- They are allowing you (I assume) to unload the trucks at your pace..it was your first day doing that...there is a time limit BTW. That will change.:wink2:

bellesotico

BOXstar
How about this: In 28 days you will be making the same pay you would at the local fast food joint...only you will have these "great benefits"!!!!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Careful - you live close to me! "Letter of intent" - My manager said after two weeks he will give me a Saturday driver position - should I file a letter of intent on same?

(I appreciate your input)

Where do you live?

After two weeks you will be put on the list as a saturday air driver. You will have to provide an abstract (no tickets) in the last year, medical exam, re-file an application, take the drivers test.

Then usually there is also a seniority list for Saturday Air Drivers... at least there is on our building.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Where do you live?

After two weeks you will be put on the list as a saturday air driver. You will have to provide an abstract (no tickets) in the last year, medical exam, re-file an application, take the drivers test.

Then usually there is also a seniority list for Saturday Air Drivers... at least there is on our building.

Same for our bldg.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I was scheduled to be a Saturday Air driver....for most of my career as a loader...lol. Actually, had they moved a little faster on that, I may have chosen another path in UPS...lol. I became a sup while I was on the list to drive...

I wanted the experience before I became a sup!

bellesotico

BOXstar
LOL - I had a feeling I would be doing that. Also promised a PT Pre-Sort management position, but I have heard that is a great way to dead-end your advancement.

You've only been there for 3 days. Just slow your stroll. Everything worthwhile comes with a wait. That is why there is a WAIT for it..ya dig?

Get your seniority and your first raise under your belt at least before you start clawing your way to the top.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
3. Sucking Up - I want to move up with UPS as fast as humanly possible. In my 40+ years, I've never kissed anyone's ass, but I've tried to make up for it in the last 3 days. It has become clear that will get me nowhere.

Wow...from the rate your going...watch out...CEO! LOL only joking...they will promise you the world..what you do with and in UPS will be completely.... up to you.

Lobofan5

You made a fabulous choice to come to UPS. It is a very positive work environment, and if you work hard..it is noted AND appriciated. UPS choses to always support the employees FIRST..and, that alone, has made all the difference in my 3 years of employment.

I do believe you wanted someone to lie to you.:wink2:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
You made a fabulous choice to come to UPS. It is a very positive work environment, and if you work hard..it is noted AND appriciated. UPS choses to always support the employees FIRST..and, that alone, has made all the difference in my 3 years of employment.

I do believe you wanted someone to lie to you.:wink2:

Oh my God, I haven't laughed that hard in, well, three days! Thanks!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Being respectful and saying "yes" alot will get you somewhere when kissing ass doesn't. Do your job, work as directed, and keep your mouth shut will earn you recognition enough. Drive your Saturdays, and eventually in a few years you should be able to work into a full-time driving job. Yes it may be more than a couple years, or it may not even be that, but you won't know unless you stick around to find out.

PS to the author: if you hold college degree(s), have so much management exp, etc why did you come to UPS? If you're struggling after 3 days this probably isn't the right place for you. If you put in your letter to become part-time supervisor, I think you'll be surprised how little money there is in relation to hours worked and responsibility.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
If you put in your letter to become part-time supervisor, I think you'll be surprised how little money there is in relation to hours worked and responsibility.

I come in 1/2 hour earlier than the loaders and I leave roughly 1/2 hour later than the loaders. I no longer bust my arse everyday dealing with packages. Instead I bust my arse everyday with paperwork and supervision.
-I make about 10x what I made as a loader for roughly the same hours.
-Bonuses every quarter.
-Christmas bonus.
-Benefits
-Stock Option

Not that bad of a deal!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
*Benefits* - the bottom line is you will have to get a feel for UPS, talk to people in the building you work. Get a feel for what your interested in and go for it. Nothing is impossible! Just work hard, keep smiling and enjoy!