4/10 package car runs

Fullhouse

This is not in the National but it is being proposed in the Atlantic Supplement. The company wants to put in place 10hr package car runs. Those runs will have to be approved by the union.My questions are as follows. Is this happening in any other areas? Why would the union even allow such language if it could be used to cut routes? Could this be the begining of the home delivery such as Fed Ex uses? This just seems like another attempt by the company to reduce overtime costs.
Think about the implications that could arise from this.
Drivers taking longer to reach their goal of 1801 hours if they are limited to 40hrs a week.
The ability to make any run in the building a 10 hr run as long as it is approved by the union. ( I hope the union likes you if they don't well gett ready!)
Seperate bids just for coverage.
Just to many unknowns!
If UPS wants it, you better believe they have somthing up their sleeves.

Inthegame

This is not in the National but it is being proposed in the Atlantic Supplement. The company wants to put in place 10hr package car runs. Those runs will have to be approved by the union.My questions are as follows. Is this happening in any other areas? Why would the union even allow such language if it could be used to cut routes? Could this be the begining of the home delivery such as Fed Ex uses? This just seems like another attempt by the company to reduce overtime costs.
Think about the implications that could arise from this.
Drivers taking longer to reach their goal of 1801 hours if they are limited to 40hrs a week.
The ability to make any run in the building a 10 hr run as long as it is approved by the union. ( I hope the union likes you if they don't well gett ready!)
Seperate bids just for coverage.
Just to many unknowns!
If UPS wants it, you better believe they have somthing up their sleeves.
Looks like a mutual consent deal. Surprized no limits were proposed, i.e. 5% of total bids. No 4-10's in the Central, although UPS proposed it.

Inthegame

10% rounded down to the next whole number.
Art 53 Sec 2 Hours of Work... By mutual agreement between the parties, the Company may place four (4) ten (10) hour day routes for bid during the bidding process within the package car classification.
I don't see the 10% but I only have 502 posts... Nice to see you're back.

brown_trousers

Not everyone wants the UPS driver 50-60 hr workweek! I believe if it were put to a vote by us members, it would find alot of support.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
All the drivers I've talked to today in my hub are opposed to this new plan. This will effectively cut OT down to zero, and there are quite a few drivers who are rather fond of their overtime.

I would rather work 5 9/9.5 hour days than 4 10 hours. If this supplement passes, I'm going to have to REALLY slow down.

Fullhouse

So have these 10hr runs had a significant affect on the ot in the areas with this language? How much change was made to the routes in order for this to work as intended? Are these runs heavy on residential stops with zero pick ups? I'm just trying to get idea of how the company might dispatch these runs.

John19841

I think some of you guys are crazy. I would much rather work 4 10's vs 5 8's

If it turns into 4 12 hr days, You still have a 3 day weekend, every week

If it stays 4 10 hr days, no overtime.... you STILL have a 3 day weekend, EVERY week! Use that extra day off to make some money doing something you enjoy, if you need the money

Although, the contract would need to state 4 CONSECUTIVE 10 hr workdays, with 3 CONSECUTIVE Days off. Seniority determines who gets the preferred days off (Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Saturday, Sunday, Monday)

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
All the drivers I've talked to today in my hub are opposed to this new plan. This will effectively cut OT down to zero, and there are quite a few drivers who are rather fond of their overtime.

I would rather work 5 9/9.5 hour days than 4 10 hours. If this supplement passes, I'm going to have to REALLY slow down.

If they put one of these up in my center I would be all over it like flies to sh$t. At this stage in my career 40 hours would be awesome. Leave the OT to the young guns.

John19841

So have these 10hr runs had a significant affect on the ot in the areas with this language? How much change was made to the routes in order for this to work as intended? Are these runs heavy on residential stops with zero pick ups? I'm just trying to get idea of how the company might dispatch these runs.

I would think, start these drivers early. Have them deliver the EAM's to get rid of those drivers, then a normal route for the remainder of the day. Ex: 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM with a 1 hour lunch. They could still work 2 hours of OT and still be done at 7:30 PM. Even starting them at 8:30 AM will have them done at 7:30, with a 1 hour lunch, and without overtime.

Something tells me that 4 ten hour days would turn into 4 twelve hour days real quick.
Now it's coming all together. If you look in the new master language it states that the company can change Monday to Friday schedule to Tuesday to Saturday weeks. With the 4/10 to 12 hour days that will cover the scheduling. Ups wouldn't be doing this if there was no way to make more money. Buckle up brothers and sisters. It's going to be a pumping ride.

upsgrunt

I think some of you guys are crazy. I would much rather work 4 10's vs 5 8's

If it turns into 4 12 hr days, You still have a 3 day weekend, every week

If it stays 4 10 hr days, no overtime.... you STILL have a 3 day weekend, EVERY week! Use that extra day off to make some money doing something you enjoy, if you need the money

Although, the contract would need to state 4 CONSECUTIVE 10 hr workdays, with 3 CONSECUTIVE Days off. Seniority determines who gets the preferred days off (Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Saturday, Sunday, Monday)

It would almost never be a Monday or Friday that you would have off; in fact I bet the 5th day off would change weekly.