401K set up advice

upschuck

I noticed you were smart enough not to include the word guaranteed when you mentioned the pension.

My projected pension will be just over $60K/yr. If by chance our pension fund were to ever go bankrupt the PBCG would take over and my pension would be slashed by nearly 75%.

I'm glad you mentioned SS----my financial adviser and I are planning on me having my SS, which we will delay until I turn 67, directly deposited in to my investment account so that it can earn even more money
You should be rolling in money with your military pension too. Good times :happy:

Single employer pensions are better than multiemployer pensions. They are guaranteed at a higher rate. I am glad they switch us over last contract.

I have done a retirement calculator on Prudential's website(and many others), and I will not have to touch my 401k if expenses are same, so 401k will be travel and fun money. I guess I'll never be home.

Overpaid Union Thug

You may want to weigh the pros and cons before signing up. The pension, unless you were an officer, is really not that much.

I was making around $300/drill when I got out a few years ago. And that was for two days of work and a normally both days were around 7 hours. I figure I was making $21/hr just to sit behind a computer (actually it was a series of computers) for 7 hours. It sucks giving up a weekend a month and two weeks per year but I can put up with 12 more years of that knowing that I will be simultaneously be pumping at least $300/month into my 401k in addition to what I already contribute now. The pension would just be a huge bonus.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I noticed you were smart enough not to include the word guaranteed when you mentioned the pension.

My projected pension will be just over $60K/yr. If by chance our pension fund were to ever go bankrupt the PBCG would take over and my pension would be slashed by nearly 75%.

That's not quite accurate. It depends on what age you are the year your start withdrawing benefits. The earliest most of us can retire would be age 49-50, and that would cut your $60k pension by 65% not 75% were the company to go bankrupt in 2014. If you were age 65 or very near you wouldn't see much of a cut at all. The rules are set by ERISA every year.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The bright Horizon Funds are designed to be diversified. It doesn't make much sense to put 30% into it.
Are you suggesting more or less? I'd personally do less but it's a good choice for the OP, as was earlier stated, to "set it and forget it" and to keep anyone who finds themselves anxiously looking at their 401k balance from panicking, but for me I'd rather look at the pension as my low risk portion and be heavy into stocks on the 401k side adjusting on my own as I near retirement age. I think the OP could benefit from having more into stocks too especially given the length of time they have to invest, but baby steps are best.

TUT

Yeah in the UPS world, to me it seems like the 401K becomes like a bonus. Between your pension and Social, there is plenty of monthly income to survive on. This assumes residence is paid for. If you got kids aim for that 401K to be part of their inheritance if you want to go out in style.

The SP500 was 38% return this past year. Lots of calculators don't even allow you to put in that kind of percentage of return on a 401, lol.

TUT

for me I'd rather look at the pension as my low risk portion and be heavy into stocks on the 401k side adjusting on my own

This. With a pension in your pocket, this is the way.

Set and Forget is better than nothing for sure. But review each quarter (15 mins) and learn to use the web tools to make changes and you'll be much better off. It also just keeps your mind in the game and it will lead to good things more often than not.

Cincypackagehandler

Alright so it's been a couple weeks since I set it up and its been taking the money out so I just have a couple more questions. I chose the 2045 Bright Horizon fund for my Roth 401K, that means it will invest the money for me, right? Is there anyway I can see how the money does and where exactly is goes? Also, I hope I never have to do this, if I ever have to withdraw from my 401k will it let me and will there be any financial consequenses for doing that? Thanks!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
1. yes
2. Yes and no-you can, at anytime, see how your fund did the past Q, year, 5 year, since inception online. But where that fund puts it's allocations takes some serious digging. Put the Prudential web site into your favorites and check it at least quarterly. ALSO, start a 3 ring binder and hole punch your quarterly statements and put them in there. If you want to be anal like me, every month print off a copy from the website and put it in the binder. You will learn so damn much about the market within 5 years it'll scare you.
3. Yes and no. You can get a hardship loan for a variety or reasons. The best is for the purchase of a primary residence. I am currently doing this to buy our dream/retirement house. You borrow against your own money and pay it back through payroll deductions all the while your balance doesn't drop but continues to earn you money . Best part is the 4% interest you pay is to yourself. I'll update on this site when I have completed the process and let everyone know what I learned.

Normally I'd say get the hell out of the date specific funds. Their returns blow and the fees are larger. BUT...2014 is going to be a market correction year for the most part and I see little to no gains for the next quarter or two...IMO. THAT IS MY OPINION! Take it for what its worth--very little as opinions are like....well, you know the saying.

The investing mantra has been and always will be diversification!! Put many eggs into many, SOUND, baskets. The rule of thumb is this; time makes millionaires! You do don't have to shove 40% of your pay in if you start early. Compounding is the 8th. wonder of the world! 10% pretax and you'll barely notice a drop in the paycheck. After tax (read, ROTH) 10% is a dramaticaly smaller check now but a hell of a bigger check in 30 years. That 10% grows like a weed over 30 years! Its all about what you are comfortable with. The best part is you can change allocations at any time when life changes. Drop the contributions in years when you need the extra cash, getting married, buying a house/car ect. Jack the contributions up when life is on auto-pilot. When you start to worry about the economy thoss the whole lot into safer choices. You see an insane bull market run (like all of 2013) get you money into the equities. If you want to be lazy and not have to think about it a target date fund is a totally set it and forget it kinda play!

PrimoKS1

I just started this week and was wondering when I am eligible to set up my own 401K. I am 30 with 3 kids and have nothing for retirement, basically why I came to UPS. Do I have to wait my 30 day? Longer? Thanks for the help

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just started this week and was wondering when I am eligible to set up my own 401K. I am 30 with 3 kids and have nothing for retirement, basically why I came to UPS. Do I have to wait my 30 day? Longer? Thanks for the help
6 months or a year I think. You've got time. Put away 20% and you'll retire with no worries money wise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should be able to start right away. Go to retirement.prudential.com and try to register.

I think the 401k should be mandatory with a 3% starting contribution rate with the employee having to opt out in writing if they wish not to participate.

purplesky

Ok. I did try to register on the Prudential site and my info does not match their records. I will ask when I go in tonight. Hey Brownslave...What is this day of rest bull:censored2:???

Just call the 401k 1 800 537 0189. Its automated so just say "register" when the computer wants to know what you want to do.
Call during business hours to get a real person.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You should be able to start right away. Go to retirement.prudential.com and try to register.

I think the 401k should be mandatory with a 3% starting contribution rate with the employee having to opt out in writing if they wish not to participate.
am I thinking of stock purchases for 6 month wait?