407 banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsam

Staff member
There's been times where I've not been able to access this site reliably, (slow, error messages, unable to post) and I just assumed the host or some part of the network it takes me to get to the site was having problems.

It seems that only those that have problems with the moderation claim they're being targeted and it's not just an issue either on their end or somewhere in world wide web.

I won't say it's impossible for site administration or the moderators to do something to cause it, but why play the games and not just straight up ban the ips related to and the account of a person they don't like. It'd cause far less drama in the longterm.
It's not like there aren't former moderators around who could clue folks into whether that's even possible. So why the speculation and conjecture?

Nimnim

The Nim
It's not like there aren't former moderators around who could clue folks into whether that's even possible. So why the speculation and conjecture?

I speculate because I know that some things are possible, and I like the conversation since, as you've shown in this thread, giving definitive answers is less fun than letting people speculate.
026.gif

As long as that speculation doesn't turn into personal attacks.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Well since logged in members of this site don't see ads and generate ad revenue, I don't see the problem. It might get quieter here, but less drama and more "helpful" information towards people who might find this site through google looking for an answer, who are less likely to create an account and as such see the ads which generate revenue.

Edit: Personally I like a little drama here, it adds a certain flair, but it's definitely gone a bit overboard lately between heated contract negotiations and this hard hit towards certain members.

My bookmark takes me to the home page for this site, which recognizes me as a member and most certainly displays several Google ads.
I'm guessing Cheryl would appreciate everyone going there to start.
I'm not sure most people are here for an education?

bbsam

Staff member
I speculate because I know that some things are possible, and I like the conversation since, as you've shown in this thread, giving definitive answers is less fun than letting people speculate.
026.gif

As long as that speculation doesn't turn into personal attacks.
I'm good with that as long as we're all having fun. I don't think Cheryl deserves that kind of character assault if it's not possible though.

Johney

Nothing is over till I say it's over. I'm pretty p/o'd I had to drag my ass out of lurk-mode for this BS ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ok, now it's over.
Nice to have you back Ovah. At least you didn't post some :bsbullf:about how you're leaving. Then show back up being a......never mind. Nice to see you again.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm good with that as long as we're all having fun. I don't think Cheryl deserves that kind of character assault if it's not possible though.
You have been putting in some long hours the last few days.
Why don't you take the night off?

Nimnim

The Nim
My bookmark takes me to the home page for this site, which recognizes me as a member and most certainly displays several Google ads.
I'm guessing Cheryl would appreciate everyone going there to start.
I'm not sure most people are here for an education?

So you're right, my bookmark takes me right to the forums. We used to have ads on the forums but that changed with the new software, and most people who would be stumbling upon this site through a search engine would end up in the forums first not the home page.

Most regular users of this site aren't here for an education, but I'd wager most aren't here for "all" the drama, just some of it.

I don't recall saying Cheryl actually did anything, just that it would be possible if she desired. I love Cheryl for having this site for us, but I'm not going to let that deter me from saying what is possible.

bbsam

Staff member
So you're right, my bookmark takes me right to the forums. We used to have ads on the forums but that changed with the new software, and most people who would be stumbling upon this site through a search engine would end up in the forums first not the home page.

Most regular users of this site aren't here for an education, but I'd wager most aren't here for "all" the drama, just some of it.

I don't recall saying Cheryl actually did anything, just that it would be possible if she desired. I love Cheryl for having this site for us, but I'm not going to let that deter me from saying what is possible.
And I'm saying that I'm not sure it would be possible for Cheryl to do that. I haven't seen or heard of it being done on any site. I could see it being done by some fairly adept hacker, but that's a different breed than a site administrator.

over9five

Staff member
Ouch. When 3 members PMd me saying they were having connection issues, I first told them to clear their cache. Then I told them about Cloudfare nodes, which can affect several users from around the country.
All this time, I'm thinking "Strange how only members who have recently gotten into it with certain mod(s) are being affected".
As for what you're talking about, anyone can Google.
And anyone with any forum experience knows that without Google. We act like it's some big secret. It's not.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ouch. When 3 members PMd me saying they were having connection issues, I first told them to clear their cache. Then I told them about Cloudfare nodes, which can affect several users from around the country.
All this time, I'm thinking "Strange how only members who have recently gotten into it with certain mod(s) are being affected".
And anyone with any forum experience knows that without Google. We act like it's some big secret. It's not.
Cloudfare nodes..riiight. I smell pooooooo

bbsam

Staff member
LOL. Over, I'm so computer stupid that I'm not sure what you said. In fact, I'm not sure what I would Google to figure it out. And I'm not calling you out. Seems there are several former mods and none of the mods I have seen around here know anything of slowing down members' computers. Alien abduction, yes. Computer interference, no.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
LOL. Over, I'm so computer stupid that I'm not sure what you said. In fact, I'm not sure what I would Google to figure it out. And I'm not calling you out. Seems there are several former mods and none of the mods I have seen around here know anything of slowing down members' computers. Alien abduction, yes. Computer interference, no.
Well I'm no member of the purple team....but I just now googled the Bc website softwAre....Xenforo.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
[

quote="bleedinbrown58, post: 1269353, member: 46975"]Well I'm no member of the purple team....but I just now googled the Bc website softwAre....Xenforo.[/quote]

Well maybe the geek squad

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Now I'm confused?
First you seemed defensively offended at the notion, and now you're claiming ignorance?

Status
Not open for further replies.