6 to 1

southern

alternating to me means they passed on the outside hire so should lose it until next time it comes around. and i agree it helped the union by ups passing on it. but union shouldnt reward ups by allowing them to then use it at their discretion in the future. that allows tension to build not knowing if they will. and they havent used it in 8 hires. so they passed on it and hired a pt then hired another pt now wanting to use it. even though a pt drove for 192 reports last year just barely missing the magic number of 200.

What would you file on? It sounds as though this actually favored the union by allowing a PTer to be promoted earlier than they should have been had the company used their outside hire.
As much as it pains me to like this post he is right on. It was a win win for the union your ba deserves a pat on the back. Two union employees will have senority over a member of the part time stuperviser ranks.

Southwestern

In the previous center I worked in, they last added drivers in 2004. They're currently adding two -- one's a part-time sup, another's a kid in his early 20s who did seasonal. My friend's pretty upset about this, but the union told him the last 12+ drivers were insiders, so the company has some leeway.

JonFrum

The Contract doesn't actually say "alternating." It says "before." For what it's worth.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are emotionally involved in this which tends to cloud critical thinking.

My suggestion is that you should contact your Union, get the facts and then develop a logical and rational argument and take appropriate actions.

The Contract doesn't actually say "alternating." It says "before." For what it's worth.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire).

There is one of those "facts" you should gather.

There is one of those "facts" you should gather.
That was my point I see guys like him everyday. They are a dime a dozen and they aren't involved so when they bitch with their utter lack of knowing anything about the day to day operations of the local. Their bad attitude and lack of knowledge spreads like wildfire.

gorilla75jdw

sounds like you guys are speaking of Local 480 in Nashville Tennessee whom says they dont make any deals . These Teamster officials have made so many deals in the past 2 years you couldnt keep count , and would look you straight in the eye and say , " we dont make deals like the prior administration " LOLOLOLOLOOL , we are all ignorantly blind to what goes on under Big Browns desk these days .

govols019

You smell that?
If my memory serves me correctly, we filed and won a grievance on this same issue. If the company didn't use their outside hire option at the time it was due then they lost it. That was many contracts ago, though. I also reserve the right to be wrong. My memory ain't what it used to be.