Air Driver 22.3 Combo

A person in our building was promoted to 22.3 combo position. They were a local sort P/T Ai Driver. When they got the 22.3 Combo job they we`re being required to do Air work which was not part of their Combo Job and they did not want to do the Air Work. A Grievance was filed.
Several month`s later they we`re laid off just before peak. October I`d say. During this time their DOT and Air Badge expired and nearly 5-Months passed.

My question is if they get recertified are they slotted back in on the Air List where they we`re previously?

Southwest Package Rider Section 26 Layoffs:

"Any laid off package car driver or combination employee who chooses to displace one (1) part-time inside employee shall also be able to exercise their seniority to perform exception air delivery, provided they are qualified to do so."

What doe`s displace {1} P/T employee mean? Business agent cant seem to get answer.

22.3 Combo Employee was recertified and was reslotted to his original position. He is still on layoff

I highly doubt this. I think it's one of two things.

Either you got your answer and didn't like it.

Or

You didn't even ask the business agent.

It's pretty self explanatory also.
The Article read`s-Displace 2- least seniority people on 2- separate shift`s to get 8 hour`s or displace1 -least seniority person and get 4 hours.
The person doe`s EAM and still works 2 shift`s to get his 8 hour`s.

But this is what the contract read`s:
Any laid off package car driver or combination employee who chooses to displace one (1) part-time inside employee shall also be able to exercise their seniority to perform exception air delivery, provided they are qualified to do so
Business agent say`s he can do this.
The question is why would they put "chooses to displace one (1) part-time inside employee shall also be able to exercise their seniority to perform exception air deliver.
When he works 2 shifts can he still do EAM?

Brownwind

The Article read`s-Displace 2- least seniority people on 2- separate shift`s to get 8 hour`s or displace1 -least seniority person and get 4 hours.

Any laid off package car driver or combination employee who chooses to displace one (1) part-time inside employee shall also be able to exercise their seniority to perform exception air delivery, provided they are qualified to do so
The question is why would they put "chooses to displace one (1) part-time inside employee shall also be able to exercise their seniority to perform exception air deliver.
Can he choose to take the layoff and just stay home instead of working?

542thruNthru

Because in some areas there is a ton of available air work hours, especially back when that part was written. The union doesn't want you displacing 2 part timers and getting 10-12 hours when you could displace one and get 8 hours. It's to protect jobs not just a members greed.
RPCDs would have first dibs by seniority on the work depending on area, also any combos that are not laid off that have it part of their combo job already. Other then that I believe you should be able to use what seniority you have to do what's left over.

Brownwind

Yes but he'd lose his healthcare after 1 week and would probably not be eligible for unemployment.
I have a hard time relating to the struggles of the newer people. It’s way different from the past.
It’s unfortunate that they were promised something then it changed. I guess we all went through it.

542thruNthru

I have a hard time relating to the struggles of the newer people. It’s way different from the past.
It’s unfortunate that they were promised something then it changed. I guess we all went through it.
It's going to be hard for a little bit as the world reverts back to pre covid times.