6 year part timer + yard certified question:

shampoohorn

I work in a small center as a pre-loader and have been yard certified 5 of the 6 years I've worked there. I am the alternate shifter when the main shifter is either on road or vacation. He has worked in the center longer than I have and was once given shifter pay. They have since stopped paying shifter pay right around the time I became yard certified. He filed a grievence and was compensated but they told him that was the last time he could do so. My first question is can I file a grievence on the same issue? My second question is more importantly are we supposed to get shifter pay at a small center?

over9five

Staff member
YES! Generally, how it works is you get the pay for the highest pay job you did for the day. Like:

If you shift for an hour, but worked preload the rest of the day, you get shifter pay for all hours worked.

I worked 12 1/2 hours today. I pulled doubles for the last leg, about 1 hour. I get doubles pay for the whole day.

PS, they CAN'T tell anyone they can't grieve something ever again. You grieve it whenever they try to short your pay.