8 Rules All Preloaders Should Follow

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was taught nothing over 60 lbs should ever touch a shelf.

...and you were taught correctly; however, I would think that the focus of your training was for the top shelves. A 60 lb package on the middle shelf would not be as big of a deal as a 60 lb package on the top shelf.

The 2000 shelf is right in our power zone so it should not that big of a deal if a 90 lb package is loaded there.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
...and you were taught correctly; however, I would think that the focus of your training was for the top shelves. A 60 lb package on the middle shelf would not be as big of a deal as a 60 lb package on the top shelf.

The 2000 shelf is right in our power zone so it should not that big of a deal if a 90 lb package is loaded there.

Safety Dave.

Travwise

My mistake for not making my previous post more clear. We start our day by unloading the trailers, and loading our own cars, hence the "driver sort and load" I have no clue what's in my car until I go through it shelf by shelf out on the road.

Travwise

Well genius if there are 20 cars and 20 drivers do the math, two unload the trailer, two split, one dumps bags. I happen to have my car loaded by the driver next to me because I'm splitting. I KNEW it would be you to make that observation. Your SOOOOOO smart Dave. Figure me out. Just making stuff up. For no reason. You got me.

S

selfcancelsignal

I never understood that. rarely do they let us use,sort and load. we just have to eat,that time.

Whatever! As long as my paycheck is correct. Thats the only numbers I worry about.
Nah. Just change your start time via Verify.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well genius if there are 20 cars and 20 drivers do the math, two unload the trailer, two split, one dumps bags. I happen to have my car loaded by the driver next to me because I'm splitting. I KNEW it would be you to make that observation. Your SOOOOOO smart Dave. Figure me out. Just making stuff up. For no reason. You got me.

I guess the "loading our own cars" part must have thrown me off.

watdaflock?

Preloaders should only put overweights on the top shelf if the driver is a jerk.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
1) Feel like you're being given more work than everyone else and slow down so they'll send you help without ever realizing that there is no help and you're just hosing your driver.
2) Leave your trash in the trucks. It's not like the driver has to work in there all day or anything.
3) Put stuff wherever you see a spot for it. Who cares if it's where it's supposed to be because you don't have to deliver it, right?
4) Put the driver's handtruck somewhere different everyday, because you need to keep us on our toes.
5) NDA doesn't have to go on the shelf where it's supposed to. Bury it on the floor under bulk. Your driver will appreciate it.
6) Get annoyed about overweights and big packages just dropping them on the floor under the shelves. Who cares if the label is face down and not visible to the driver. It builds character for them.
7) Throw every box in the truck regardless of condition. Tape is for pûssies.
8) Leave a pile of random small packages on the back of the 8000 shelf where you set them down. Drivers love having to run the whole first half of their route again because a handful of packages from each shelf were missing.
Lol, lol,lol, lol omg I love it what a reality . I had a bad day and I will post a picture if I can of my block loaded Xmas load of 190 stops which 12 stops were taken off by a driver who volunteered. Thank you , I have laughed until I cried cause guess what, that happens. I have a 10 veteran loader that loads 4 trucks which is insane and rants and raves if he is told to load the irreg's an hour before we leave. You know what , I want common sense to slap someone in the face. I get there an hour before we leave just so I can survive cause he can't fine tune the load , knowledge and common sense are gone, Orion is a joke as far as service goes,id rather pay for the gas myself. Back in the 80 s when the same stop was in the same place and the loader knew what you were doing and learned the streets wow that might have blossomed into a teamwork situation, despite the get it on the floor and get it out the door mentality with passing any problem to the driver .

Cementups

Box Monkey

But I'm guessing your neighbors truck is perfectly sorted and loaded before he leaves whereas he doesn't give a crap about your car and is just throwing it in and you can worry about it later.