80 more mechanic layoffs

mrv

Hey *********... At which point did I say anything about teamsters. I don't want to see any union person loose there job for any reason. Unfortunately we have no control with what the so called experts in Atlanta decide to do. All we can do as a group is come on here and voice our displeasure and file grievences about it and try to change them through that channel. Next time before you type something make sure you know what your are talking about. I'm not a teamster I am in the machinist union by the way!!!

That explains everything. Wonder what you were doing when the Teamsters were on strike?

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Sounds like you know from experience what a rat is. You call yourself "unionman" but I bet you don't have a clue what the union means or represents. You are probably one of those guys who goes and tells the boss what everybody is doing wrong so you can look good.
Ohhhh, there are so many of those people around! What a shame:surprised:

Hey *********... At which point did I say anything about teamsters. I don't want to see any union person loose there job for any reason. Unfortunately we have no control with what the so called experts in Atlanta decide to do. All we can do as a group is come on here and voice our displeasure and file grievences about it and try to change them through that channel. Next time before you type something make sure you know what your are talking about. I'm not a teamster I am in the machinist union by the way!!!
Glad to hear your a machinist, not many wrenches are in the IAM

No you have no idea who's side I'm on. I haven't been a steward for 22 1/2 years because of my good looks!!! So I'm going to give you a little background. In these 22 plus years, I have created more than 11 fulltime jobs by getting outside vendors tossed out and partimers who working more than 30 days fulltime, I win 98% of my grievances, only had 2 people who were fired not get there jobs back (both were stealing time) thats always hard to win anyway. And I have run unapposed every reelection. And also got some of the overnite terminals to join the union. So yea who's side do you think I'm on!!!!
Congrats, we have a steward thats is damn good too! It's nice to have people such as your self protecting our interests, thank you drag!:happy-very:

worldwide

Didn't their three major unions have to concede to double-digit cuts to keep them out of bankruptcy. Maybe that's how they have all those mechanics?

American's costs remain the highest in the industry according to another article from Tulsa World.

In 2003, the mechanics, pilots and flight attendants took pay and benefit cuts totaling $1.62 billion a year to help AMR avert a bankruptcy filing. The cuts amount to 25 percent cuts in pay, loss of vacation, sick days and other benefits.

On a related note, safety regulators from the NTSB said on May 19 that American Airlines should figure out how it missed mechanical problems with a jet engine that caught fire during a 2007 flight, and then fix its maintenance program. Testimony at the hearing indicated that mechanics contributed to the problems by failing to properly maintain a metal air filter and using the wrong tool, possibly a screwdriver, to manually start the troubled engine. American Airlines said mechanics have been told specifically not to use screwdrivers on the restart button.

airbusfxr

Friday is D-Day for the IPAs MOU. I have a feeling if it is rejected by UPS the pilots will have an ace to pull out of their pocket. I understand that paying people to sit home for a year or two is not "good business" but the company is stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny anyway. The setting back of 15 757s to long term spare could be better used if they would fly those aircraft full on routes that are under using half full A300s. I dont understand why UPS tries to make bad calls to waste manpower and aircraft and fuel and route structure. It is so sad to see the airline, and I use that term loosely, run in such an unproductive manner. Sad to see.

ups767mech

What does a manager say when asked by a guy about to be laid off when he can expect recall if at all?

"I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS, I DONT KNOW WHEN YOULL BE BACK"

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thought the layoffs had nothing to do with contract negotiations? UPS wouldnt be lying would they?

What does a manager say when asked by a guy about to be laid off when he can expect recall if at all?

"I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS, I DONT KNOW WHEN YOULL BE BACK"

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thought the layoffs had nothing to do with contract negotiations? UPS wouldnt be lying would they?
More than likely the manager only knows that his boss told him to lay off X amount of people. With no more information than that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was making a delivery to a condo complex yesterday and noticed a guy wearing a UPS polo so I stopped to chat. He works for SCS and told me that 12 out of 30 had been laid off. He also told me that they just landed a big account and would be hiring temps to handle the work rather than recalling the laid off workers. SCS is Supply Chain Solutions and they are, for the most part, non-Union. Imagine how you would feel sitting at home on layoff knowing they brought in a temp to do your job.

ups767mech

I was making a delivery to a condo complex yesterday and noticed a guy wearing a UPS polo so I stopped to chat. He works for SCS and told me that 12 out of 30 had been laid off. He also told me that they just landed a big account and would be hiring temps to handle the work rather than recalling the laid off workers. SCS is Supply Chain Solutions and they are, for the most part, non-Union. Imagine how you would feel sitting at home on layoff knowing they brought in a temp to do your job.

Yes that would suck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I think your boss is saying that your union is failing you and cry to them. :biting::sick:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Does, or can fed-ex do this with non-union drivers?

Does, or can fed-ex do this with non-union drivers?
I don't see why the couldn't, but on the other hand I can't see why they would. A temp agency isn't likely to be able to provide workers with the knowledge or skills to replace a driver as easily as an office worker.
Who knows exactly what duties the temps are handling for SCS? They could be duties that require very little trainning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't see why the couldn't, but on the other hand I can't see why they would. A temp agency isn't likely to be able to provide workers with the knowledge or skills to replace a driver as easily as an office worker.
Who knows exactly what duties the temps are handling for SCS? They could be duties that require very little trainning.

The temps are performing pick and pack so there is little training involved.