9.5 Can't File. B/C I don't have a RT. Why do I pay Union Dues?? Separate But Equal.

dqs95124

Re: 9.5 Can't File. B/C I don't have a RT. Why do I pay Union Dues?? Separte But Equa

I realize that. As I tell more and more of us nonbid drivers. We are outraged and cannot get a a strait answer. I'M thinking a E-mail Form Letter expressing outrage, Going over the points Ive stated.Then get the guy from the westren district who's on the negotiation team on to this E-mail campaign of ours. Thanks.

hypocrisy

Banned
Re: 9.5 Can't File. B/C I don't have a RT. Why do I pay Union Dues?? Separte But Equa

Billy,

Attitude of the rank and file is a reflection of the attitude of the Local Union Leadership.

Stong Leadership is what makes strong union membership.

I agree a revolution of strong union leadership is needed. Desperately needed.

Sincerely,
I

You can have the strongest, toughest General in the world but if your soldiers don't want to fight, your army isn't going to scare anyone.

hypocrisy

Banned

I realize that. As I tell more and more of us nonbid drivers. We are outraged and cannot get a a strait answer. I'M thinking a E-mail Form Letter expressing outrage, Going over the points Ive stated.Then get the guy from the westren district who's on the negotiation team on to this E-mail campaign of ours. Thanks.

If you really want to have an effect, organize the outraged drivers and do and informational picket outside the gate for an hour or so before start time. Call all your local news organizations and one of them is sure to come down and film it and you'll be on the evening news.

Integrity

Binge Poster

You can have the strongest, toughest General in the world but if your soldiers don't want to fight, your army isn't going to scare anyone.
crowbar,

A strong, tough leader has the traits of a leader.

One of the traits of a leader is the ability to inspire those he or she leads into action.

Without this trait one cannot claim to be a strong, tough leader.

Sincerely,
I

hypocrisy

Banned

Is it logical fallacy time?

Cesar Chavez is a strong, tough leader inspiring 50,000 farm workers to organize in the 70's.
However, by the mid-80's UFW membership had dwindled to around 15,000.
Therefore, Cesar Chavez cannot be a strong, tough leader.

No amount of inspiring Union tough talk from a Leader can match the power of individual organizing. It is up to me, to inspire you, to inspire him, to inspire her, to take Action.
Si se puede.

959Nanook

Says who?

Says my Center Manager.

center manager says they will try to honor my request even though I do not qualify for 9.5 as a cover driver. How do they honor it....by sending me out to deliver two bulk stops and pick up a bulk stop (all in different loops), then return to building and deliver the actual route I am covering (I missed business deliveries due to late start on the route), followed by a residential split from a 9.5 bid driver in a different city. I was better off before she decided to honor my request.

Forget the 9.5 list, I have been asking for the 12 list since last year.

dqs95124

This is a real problem. Not only do they get us to go after each other for production. But seperating us even more. Bid, None bid drivers. We are already overworked. Just trying to get home and have a life.:sick:

dqs95124

Are you kidding me. This is Silicon Valley. CA. Nobody likes Unions. We are so reviled.. Nope, that will not work..

oakland

In Oakland the company told us the same B.S. about having to have a route to file for 9.5 violations. Here is what went down: The Union and the Company settled our contract a year early but the 9.5 language was not settled at that time. It was left unfinished to be worked out at a later date. My Business Agent Marty Frates was directly involved in contract negotiations. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in writing about cover drivers being singled out as not eligible for 9.5 grievances. I have heard on more than one occasion that there is a handshake deal between UPS and top level Union officials that was done without my B.A present intentionally. So since there is no contract language in writing on this issue, all of the grievances for 9.5 are valid and are heard out of our local. We have large a 9.5 list here, and yes they do honor it 3 days a week and cut cars the other 2 days.

packageguy

That's true,
we are a building of 80 drivers. I would say 70 are on the right page,
but those 10 make it so much harder on those 70 drivers. trying to have all 80 guys. like it was back in the day.

dqs95124

Good I'm glad to hear that since yr in the West. So I can file. Cause I'm on a different rt every day. I know so many rts.They put me on blind rts to. I always get it done. But 10yrs bouncing I'm TIRED. All the rts I do have 30 to50 more stops then the reg driver. I know it's wrong. But if I can't file on 9.5 nor senority what is a teamster to do... so it's good to know I can file. With a target on my back.. Nobody files in my center

oldpaddy

I'm a cover driver in new england, and I have won 9.5 grievances in the last year while working different routes in the same week.

Overpaid Union Thug

I keep reading about people being "moved around to different routes" by management if they are on the over 9.5 list. Sooooo......I guess there are no seniority rights for cover drivers as well as no ability to actually file for three over 9.5s??? What the he'll is going on at UPS these days!?!?!?

menotyou

bella amicizia

Nothing that the Teamsters did not allow.
They certainly allow a lot of chest puffing by Hoffa and Hall. Any driver who works over 9.5 three times in a week DAMN WELL should be allowed to file. Where in the contract is it written that one driver is less important than another?

959Nanook

Had a chat with a Bid Driver who has a "cut" route that gets cut every time we are short staffed and occasionally when there is low volume. He absorbs bulk stops and/or from 9.5 drivers most days when he does take his route out and ends up over 9.5 on days that he does absorb. He can't seem to qualify for the 9.5 list. Even if he is over 9.5 four days out of the week on his own Bid Route, then it is not a qualifying week so long as they "cut" his route at least one day during the week. Incidentally, his route got cut today due to short staffing. He was over 9.5. We had Missed (I mean Emergency Conditions) packages in the Center.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I am amazed at this. It's b.s. He should file on his route being cut due to staffing issues.

dqs95124

A trio of "cover drivers" looked at the National and our contract today. And guess what? There is nothing in there to prevent us from filing. Just like Weed. CA passed medical marijuana, but the Feds can still bust. So in the same vein The National agreement is Law. Everything else, Whatever. So Here goes testing the waters. 13yrs never filed..

959Nanook

I honestly wish you the best. That said, I will give you the exactly NMA language that is relevant to your "guess what" question. It does not state that Cover Drivers/Utility Drivers/Extended Drivers or any other drivers are excluded from the language; HOWEVER, it does contain the following language in Article 37:
The 9.5 committee shall also have the authority to adopt guidelines
to ensure that this Section is implemented in such a way as to balance
the Employer’s need to protect the integrity of its operations
with an employee’s legitimate need to avoid excessive overtime.

959Nanook

I honestly wish you the best. You are correct in your assertion that the NMA does not state that Cover Drivers/Utility Drivers/Extended Drivers or any other drivers are excluded from the language; HOWEVER, it does contain the following language in Article 37:

The 9.5 committee shall also have the authority to adopt guidelines
to ensure that this Section is implemented in such a way as to balance
the Employer’s need to protect the integrity of its operations
with an employee’s legitimate need to avoid excessive overtime.

In other words, additional understandings can be reached between UPS and Teamsters in accordance with the NMA. There is explicit black and white language in the NMA that has not been implemented in my Center and the language will NEVER be implemented in my Center because the Teamsters agreed to guidelines that thoroughly gutted Article 37 (e.g. there is no "Opt In/Opt Out List").

In addition to "guidelines" from 9.5 Committees, there are Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs), Regional Supplements, Local Riders, and Addendum that may be in effect in your jurisdiction that would not be account for in the NMA. Furthermore, there are panel decisions that may have to be taken into account. The end result of which is that reading the NMA will likely get you no closer to understanding what rules are actually in effect for 9.5 in your jurisdiction.

My understanding (my understanding may be incorrect) is that there is a precedent setting Panel decision (in the Western Region jurisdiction at a minimum if I understand correctly) that prevents full-time Cover Drivers (in the Western Region at a minimum) from using Article 37 of the NMA.

In a Brown Cafe thread about 9.5 and Extended Drivers, Jon Frum posted a link to the Article 37 (9.5) Guidelines ( http://makeupsdeliver.org/wp-content/uploads/9-5-guidelines.pdf ). That particular copy of the Guidelines has a reference to the panel decision that is preventing Cover Drivers from qualifying.

The paper copy from my Local (in the Western Region) that floated around the shop and was posted in the locker room did not have the additional information at the bottom about the panel decision; however, I was aware of it thanks to Jon Frum on these forums. I am thankful to Jon Frum for that because it prevented me from blowing a gasket when my Supervisor informed me that I did not qualify for 9.5 after they had mistakenly let me qualify to be on the 9.5 Opt In List.