9.5 & Orion

fatcats

The local BA told some drivers that they won't get paid any 9.5 grievances unless they comply with Orion !!?? Not all in our bldg are even on it ! Anyone else hear about this crap ??

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The local BA told some drivers that they won't get paid any 9.5 grievances unless they comply with Orion !!?? Not all in our bldg are even on it ! Anyone else hear about this crap ??

Sent using BrownCafe App

If they comply with ORION, their hours will certainly go up. No brainer.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Sent using BrownCafe App

I'm not buying this. First of all, what does the BA consider to be "comply" and can that person cite the contract language associated with it? Not following ORION saves the paid day in many instances, getting bulk off just as one example.

ORION or not, the paid day comes down to stops, get over a certain number and you edge closer to 9.5.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I think the intent of the BA's statement was for those people who choose not to follow Orion and come in later than the Orion-based ETA.

I can not follow it and still be over 80 percent, some routes no way, but ORION is really messed up on those. I can't figure why a BA would want to play the ORION game since every route and every day is different.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I can understand his point of view.

If you don't follow Orion or for that matter EDD, I can see how a route can take longer and "falsely" turn a 9 hour day into a 10. If his manager felt he purposely screwed the route to go over 9.5, he may have something. "A fair day's work for a fair day's pay" may have been put in jeopardy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I can not follow it and still be over 80 percent, some routes no way, but ORION is really messed up on those. I can't figure why a BA would want to play the ORION game since every route and every day is different.

I don't follow Orion much, BUT I do that because I can decrease the miles and not screw up my whole day. It is fair to think that the opposite can be true.

oldngray

nowhere special

If you don't follow Orion or for that matter EDD, I can see how a route can take longer and "falsely" turn a 9 hour day into a 10. If his manager felt he purposely screwed the route to go over 9.5, he may have something. "A fair day's work for a fair day's pay" may have been put in jeopardy.

When you open up that area you are admitting that the numbers ORION predicts for your day are accurate and it would be very bad to allow that precedent since evidence shows how stupid ORION can be.

Indecisi0n

If you don't comply with Orion your an idiot. Months ago I was instructed to follow Orion and I have been ever since. I run 1.30-2 over everyday, miles increased by 10-15 and I been filing a 9.5 every week for the past 3 months straight! If they can't figure out what the problem is that's on them. Going to be a great Christmas for my niece and nephews this year.

If you don't comply with Orion your an idiot. Months ago I was instructed to follow Orion and I have been ever since. I run 1.30-2 over everyday, miles increased by 10-15 and I been filing a 9.5 every week for the past 3 months straight! If they can't figure out what the problem is that's on them. Going to be a great Christmas for my niece and nephews this year.
Thats alot of "sock" money!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I filed an excess hours greivance over a month ago. Was instructed by my PDS to NOT follow ORION since it was adding 25+ miles to my route on a daily basis. Currently he doesn't even load ORION into my DIAD and wants me to use my area knowledge to run the route.
Running the route my way has increaased my stop count by about 10 stops a day but mostly have been under 9.5 on a daily basis.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Running the route my way has increaased my stop count by about 10 stops a day but mostly have been under 9.5 on a daily basis.[/quote]

So..... You're going out with 60 stops per day now? Must be Brutal! Haha!!

browniehound

I agree with HEFFERNAN here 100%. While I'm not a big fan of ORION and insist that my way is quicker and with less mileage that is proved everyday on the OR, you can't file a 9.5 if you don't run the route the way the company asks. To me, it makes a driver come off as a spoiled little kid because he's saying I don't want to work over 9.5 and I'm going to stomp my feet and cry and do it my way regardless of what you say.

Its fine if you don't want to work 9.5, but if you're not doing it the way they ask then you're not being fair to the company. We ask for a fair's days pay for a fair's day of work, then we should give a fair effort to follow what they ask for from ORION.

If you follow ORION for the 85%+ they ask for and you're still over 9.5 then you have a leg to stand on. If you don't then I can't defend you.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Let me ask you a hypothetical. Let's say I run my route the Orion way and it takes me 11 hours. After several days of that nonsense, I get fed up and turn Orion off and it takes me 10 hours. Both ways are over 9.5 but because I am not running the route the Orion way, which is longer, I can not file excessive hours. Are you kidding me? Glad I am on the back nine.

oldngray

nowhere special
I agree with HEFFERNAN here 100%. While I'm not a big fan of ORION and insist that my way is quicker and with less mileage that is proved everyday on the OR, you can't file a 9.5 if you don't run the route the way the company asks. To me, it makes a driver come off as a spoiled little kid because he's saying I don't want to work over 9.5 and I'm going to stomp my feet and cry and do it my way regardless of what you say.

Its fine if you don't want to work 9.5, but if you're not doing it the way they ask then you're not being fair to the company. We ask for a fair's days pay for a fair's day of work, then we should give a fair effort to follow what they ask for from ORION.

If you follow ORION for the 85%+ they ask for and you're still over 9.5 then you have a leg to stand on. If you don't then I can't defend you.

What if you follow Orion all day except have to break off for pickups or detour around road construction or meet points for late air any one of many variables that could drop you below 85%? Your mileage can easily be over the predicted number and be under 85% and you are not padding miles. If you work over 9.5 in those situations are you saying it doesn't count?

browniehound

What if you follow Orion all day except have to break off for pickups or detour around road construction or meet points for late air any one of many variables that could drop you below 85%? Your mileage can easily be over the predicted number and be under 85% and you are not padding miles. If you work over 9.5 in those situations are you saying it doesn't count?

No, I'm not saying that, but with all that you mentioned above you should still be within the 85%. If you do 150 stops it means you can break 22-23 times and still be within the 85%. The break for your scheduled pick-ups should be figured in. On my route they are.

They know that OCA's, detours, air meetpoints will throw off your ORION mileage and this is the reason they say stay within 85%. So, yes you're over by 7 miles because of OCA's, detours, etc. but if you're better than 85% you're OK. Do you have 23 detours or OCA's on your route everyday? And remember, if its on the same street it doesn't count as a break.

Listen, I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time. I have as little faith in the ORION system as the next guy. All I'm saying is I could do the 85% or stay under the miles if that's what they really want regardless of how long it takes (which sucks because I want to be as efficient as possible but ORION is telling me different). And it IS what the company wants. They want ORION numbers to be met even if you're 1 hour paid over (go figure, they want to save 1 gallon of gas at $3.70/per to pay you $49.44 for the hour wasted following the stupid thing).

So, all I'm saying is if I planned on filing a 9.5 I would follow ORION 90-95%.