A "1st" for our hub !!

gorilla75jdw

Interesting, very interesting last few weeks for a few of us stewards , the "feeder" management team , our excellent "B.A." ,and an recently reinstated feeder employee. Stay with me , so here goes . Just looking to bounce thoughts , ideas , contractual language etc etc off of my union brothers and sisters collectively.

We have a unique situation going on at our facility, whereas an employee had a rough patch on his life 3 or more years ago , which affected his D.O.T. qualifications , during that time of getting his affairs in order the employee suffered a horrible accident and broke his back up really bad , dang near could of been paralyzed, however the employee did what he had to do to get better on all fronts , grew in a positive direction and is doing really well in his personal life , and as far as I can see he is doing well on the clock as well , inspite of the company still not allowing this employee to do his bid job , which is a C.D.L. feeder driver as to which he has all his requirementsand qualifications/paperwork in order except one supplemental type of form as to which he had "BUT" , this employee has assured all parties that he can produce these unneeded papers/document , therein lies the proble . !?!? So here goes more clearly, the employee suffered alot of mental issues and setbacks that he has managed to deal with and overcome with the help of medications and also having a "service dog" which really has shown to relax and steady this brother . However , our management team as of today is refusing this Teamster brother the ability to work in any fashion : management was letting this driver fuel tractors while their labor department gave them official clearance on what direction the company was going to proceed with , mind you this employee has been off regular payroll for approximately "3" solid years , until his injuries and health was back up to par . Now that his health is good, his documents are in Order , he has been officially working, not driving, but "fueling " , the company still hasn't allowed this man to do his actual job of driving, so there are already guaranteed payable grievances that have been filed . At this point , the hold up to this employee performing his bid job is the employee has a service animal /DOG . U.P.S. is wanting more documentation , I believe today the request was a form from the drivers doctor in which had some "American Disability Act " that is official and supposedly protects the company from any "Liability " , I guess in the event of an accident. The dog has a "service dog" vest on in which built into the vest is a belt loop type system or harness to lock the dog into the passenger seat safely , also the dog has a 360° , reflective vest that it can wear while it's out of the vehicle and in the yard , or at the truck stop or whatever. So anyways , I know this was extremely long , very long post , but again this is being wrote/written to collect ideas/thoughts so please feel free to comment/reply with anything constructive/positive. Thanks again .

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Sounds like a 1st ever. Anywhere. Sure hope this union brother gets what he deserves. Seems like the ADA should secure the original job title he held. The fact that the comoany is holding this up is absurd. Not like he has a non service animal. Is something like this anywhere in the contract?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Interesting, very interesting last few weeks for a few of us stewards , the "feeder" management team , our excellent "B.A." ,and an recently reinstated feeder employee. Stay with me , so here goes . Just looking to bounce thoughts , ideas , contractual language etc etc off of my union brothers and sisters collectively.

We have a unique situation going on at our facility, whereas an employee had a rough patch on his life 3 or more years ago , which affected his D.O.T. qualifications , during that time of getting his affairs in order the employee suffered a horrible accident and broke his back up really bad , dang near could of been paralyzed, however the employee did what he had to do to get better on all fronts , grew in a positive direction and is doing really well in his personal life , and as far as I can see he is doing well on the clock as well , inspite of the company still not allowing this employee to do his bid job , which is a C.D.L. feeder driver as to which he has all his requirementsand qualifications/paperwork in order except one supplemental type of form as to which he had "BUT" , this employee has assured all parties that he can produce these unneeded papers/document , therein lies the proble . !?!? So here goes more clearly, the employee suffered alot of mental issues and setbacks that he has managed to deal with and overcome with the help of medications and also having a "service dog" which really has shown to relax and steady this brother . However , our management team as of today is refusing this Teamster brother the ability to work in any fashion : management was letting this driver fuel tractors while their labor department gave them official clearance on what direction the company was going to proceed with , mind you this employee has been off regular payroll for approximately "3" solid years , until his injuries and health was back up to par . Now that his health is good, his documents are in Order , he has been officially working, not driving, but "fueling " , the company still hasn't allowed this man to do his actual job of driving, so there are already guaranteed payable grievances that have been filed . At this point , the hold up to this employee performing his bid job is the employee has a service animal /DOG . U.P.S. is wanting more documentation , I believe today the request was a form from the drivers doctor in which had some "American Disability Act " that is official and supposedly protects the company from any "Liability " , I guess in the event of an accident. The dog has a "service dog" vest on in which built into the vest is a belt loop type system or harness to lock the dog into the passenger seat safely , also the dog has a 360° , reflective vest that it can wear while it's out of the vehicle and in the yard , or at the truck stop or whatever. So anyways , I know this was extremely long , very long post , but again this is being wrote/written to collect ideas/thoughts so please feel free to comment/reply with anything constructive/positive. Thanks again .

That's a new one.

I wish the guy well.... but, I don't see UPS agreeing that it would qualify

for an ADA accommodation. Allowing his "service dog" with him, to drive

a feeder ? That's a lot of liability for the company. Paper work or not.

Is something like this anywhere in the contract?

Article 14

Section 3. Permanently Disabled Employees

"If the Company claims that the individual does not fall within the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act, then the grievance must follow the normal grievance procedure in order to resolve that issue before it can be docketed with the National Safety and Health Committee."

-Bug-

He wants to strap a dog to the passenger seat in a feeder day cab for hours at a time?

Somebody call PETA.

@rickyb

85666A76-D85D-430B-BA03-96257AB41D0C.jpeg

over9five

Staff member
I'ma with the company on this one.
Juheeesus, leave your pet home!

If you need a dog to stay calm, really, should you be driving heavy equipment?

UPSER1987

Some idiot will want to bring his goldfish to work because it makes him feel. Dumb argument. Man up or get another job. UPS isn’t the only place to work.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I don't think a CDL driver can require the need for a service animal to drive although I feel bad for the guy. Unfortunately, it shows the fragile state of the mental health of the employee and the company/ government are required to keep public risk as the primary concern. Also, the other drivers may have health concerns(allergies) so it wouldn't be fair to them. I wish I could take my dog everyday. If it was me, I would ask for an ADA accommodation for the job he is already doing since it works for him and the public wouldn't be at risk. He deserves to continue his career at the company.