A "1st" for our hub !!

ManInBrown

Interesting, very interesting last few weeks for a few of us stewards , the "feeder" management team , our excellent "B.A." ,and an recently reinstated feeder employee. Stay with me , so here goes . Just looking to bounce thoughts , ideas , contractual language etc etc off of my union brothers and sisters collectively.

We have a unique situation going on at our facility, whereas an employee had a rough patch on his life 3 or more years ago , which affected his D.O.T. qualifications , during that time of getting his affairs in order the employee suffered a horrible accident and broke his back up really bad , dang near could of been paralyzed, however the employee did what he had to do to get better on all fronts , grew in a positive direction and is doing really well in his personal life , and as far as I can see he is doing well on the clock as well , inspite of the company still not allowing this employee to do his bid job , which is a C.D.L. feeder driver as to which he has all his requirementsand qualifications/paperwork in order except one supplemental type of form as to which he had "BUT" , this employee has assured all parties that he can produce these unneeded papers/document , therein lies the proble . !?!? So here goes more clearly, the employee suffered alot of mental issues and setbacks that he has managed to deal with and overcome with the help of medications and also having a "service dog" which really has shown to relax and steady this brother . However , our management team as of today is refusing this Teamster brother the ability to work in any fashion : management was letting this driver fuel tractors while their labor department gave them official clearance on what direction the company was going to proceed with , mind you this employee has been off regular payroll for approximately "3" solid years , until his injuries and health was back up to par . Now that his health is good, his documents are in Order , he has been officially working, not driving, but "fueling " , the company still hasn't allowed this man to do his actual job of driving, so there are already guaranteed payable grievances that have been filed . At this point , the hold up to this employee performing his bid job is the employee has a service animal /DOG . U.P.S. is wanting more documentation , I believe today the request was a form from the drivers doctor in which had some "American Disability Act " that is official and supposedly protects the company from any "Liability " , I guess in the event of an accident. The dog has a "service dog" vest on in which built into the vest is a belt loop type system or harness to lock the dog into the passenger seat safely , also the dog has a 360° , reflective vest that it can wear while it's out of the vehicle and in the yard , or at the truck stop or whatever. So anyways , I know this was extremely long , very long post , but again this is being wrote/written to collect ideas/thoughts so please feel free to comment/reply with anything constructive/positive. Thanks again .
Wait, wait, wait. You’re saying he wants to bring the dog to work, and ride around with him all day? Lolol. I’m sorry, it’s funny.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm all for Welfare Reform also. About 75% of it needs to be cut.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just thought that someone getting $300 a month for occasionally having diarrhea should keep their mouth shut about other people getting money from the government.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just thought that someone getting $300 a month for occasionally having diarrhea should keep their mouth shut about other people getting money from the government.
Is it any different from a person being disabled at UPS during their first month on the job?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Is it any different from a person being disabled at UPS during their first month on the job?

I don't think it should matter when it happens as long as it's legit. From what my neighbor and his wife have said over the years I don't see how he qualifies for any disability.

He was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome more than a year after returning from one national guard deployment in Iraq. While in Iraq he worked with computers or electronics and was always in air conditioning and far from the front. Maybe a scud missile made him pucker so much he hurt himself, I don't know but it sounds like fraud to me.

I don't think it should matter when it happens as long as it's legit. From what my neighbor and his wife have said over the years I don't see how he qualifies for any disability.

He was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome more than a year after returning from one national guard deployment in Iraq. While in Iraq he worked with computers or electronics and was always in air conditioning and far from the front. Maybe a scud missile made him pucker so much he hurt himself, I don't know but it sounds like fraud to me.
Some people play the lottery every week for decades and never win. Then one person gets a free play on their birthday and win millions. Life is never fair.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Here are a few:

J.B. Hunt
Dogs up to 60 lbs, non-aggressive breed. Shots documented. $300 deposit.

U.S. Xpress:
One dog or cat, NO aggressive breeds, $500 non-refundable deposit (deductible from paycheck in $50 payments), copies of pet's shot records must be sent in to the safety department and a copy kept on the truck at all times, pets must be kept on leash at all times when outside of truck, pets must remain in truck when on company or customer property, and must be removed from truck prior to taking truck in for servicing.

Werner Enterprise:
No breed or size restrictions. One dog or one cat. $250 deposit, $5 per week fee. Shots must be kept up to date.

Western Express:
One dog or cat, NO aggressive breeds, $500 non-refundable deposit (deductible from paycheck in $50 payments), copies of pet's shot records must be sent in to the safety department and a copy kept on the truck at all times, pets must be kept on leash at all times when outside of truck, pets must remain in truck when on company or customer property, and must be removed from truck prior to taking truck in for servicing.

XPO Logistics:
One domestic dog or cat will be allowed on the driver’s truck. A $500 fee will be charged. This may be paid out in $50 payroll deductions over 10 pay periods.

While I agree many companies do this, this is limited to a driver who is assigned equipment and in it for extended periods of time on long haul. I have never heard of any company, minus a few gypsy companies, doing this in a day cab. Most of UPS equipment is a shared cab except the sleeper teams(from what I'm told). The other difference, from my perspective, is a driver who just wants company versus a driver who requires the pet for mental health. I would worry about a "slip" in the health that goes undetected on any given day. Just my 2 cents.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Some idiot will want to bring his goldfish to work because it makes him feel. Dumb argument. Man up or get another job. UPS isn’t the only place to work.
I’ll bet the ADA feels differently. Getting an actual service dog that is papered and everything isn’t easy.

letting a dog ride in the cab shouldn’t really be that big of an accommodation