A Pet Peeve of mine

browniehound

I know this subject has been explored many times over, but I haven't seen a post about it in a good year. I underdstand that this subject was written about in 100's of posts. I participated in those discussions.

Since those days I've come across a new pet peeve. I never show anger or aggrivation in front of our customers (I just rip them behind their backs, lol!).

Lately this has gotten on my nerves. People signing the DIAD and saying its not "writting". Some brilliant people actually shake the pen to make it work.??? I just tell them to "press" (write?) harder and it usually helps. I just want to get that sig. and fly.

Who should I be angry at? UPS for their DIAD or our ignorant customers that can't figure out how to sign their name on a computer? They say "its not writting". What am I supposed to say? UPS offers me a job and issues my a uniform, package car, DIAD, and methods to follow.

There is nothing in the methods for handling the signature not showing on the DIAD. I encounter this problem at least twice a day. Seriously, we have enough problems to deal with. Now, we have to deal with customers that can't sign there names?

I think its a big problem with DIAD IV, Many people can't sign their own names. Some people can and it looks like their signature. Most people can't and it looks like a 3-year olds writting.

What good is the signature if it doesn't represent reality? What's the point in getting a signature on DIAD IV if its just scribbles? It would save me a boat-load of time if I could just DR met customer man all day. I don't see what the difference would be? Whatever they sign on the DIAD looks nothing like their "real" signature so I don't understand how UPS could hold the customer to that signature.

I just get aggrivated every day about the entire signature process at least 3 times a day:sick:.

First you get the "oops I must have hit something" when they touch the signature key.

Then, you got the ones who flip it around and then flip it back and then flip it around(good grief) again.

Next, you have the one looking for the pen after you push it 1/2 way out for them and then they try to put it back in the wrong end.

We also have the one who can't write in the box and nothing shows up except for a line or two. Then you have to answer the "it didn't show up" question.

On top off all this crap, I have to hear all day long "Its not my signature, but here" or "it didn't come out too good" or "They will never no its mine". I don't know what to say to these people (any suggestions?)and thats the most frustrating part of it.

While we are on the subject, we also hear "Its so heavy" or "this thing is cold".

Then we have "I hate these things". This really gets under my skin because they have to deal with it for 5 seconds and I must deal with it for 10 hours/day.

My guess is UPS didn't take into account the stupidity, ignorance or pure lack of intelligence of the general public. I still have people who sign everyday and then drop the pen on top of the DIAD when handing it back.

Yet, on Friday a girl from the back of the office had to sign for me and she hadn't done it more than 2 months. She took the pen out, signed it, put the pen back and handed me the DIAD in about 5 seconds(I love her and people like her).

This is all I'm looking for. Why is this simple task so difficult?

What do you say, or do?

Thanks in advance for the replies

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, if that is the most aggravating part of your day, I would say you are having a good day.:wink2:

I always hand the DIAD to the consignee "upside down" and hand them the stylus. I replace the stylus and clarify as I am walking to the PC. I have all of my regular signature customers trained and do not allow them to handle the DIAD beyond signing it.

The best customer I have in regard to this is the manager at Gamestop. I hand her the board and she takes it from there. The only part I don't care for is she adds the number of pkgs received to her signature and then circles that number; other than that, it is the smoothest delivery I will have all day. She would probably clarify her signature if I asked her to and still be done by the time I had my cart emptied and her pkgs stacked.

We all have heard the comments. The comments are not going to stop. It is up to you as to whether you let them get to you or not.

Just think, we all get to re-train our customers when DIAD V comes out.:wink2:

johnoutdoors

I usually tell them (over my shoulder as I'm clarifying) that I'm not the handwriting police. UPS has to know that the signatures don't come out well 100% of the time. If they were worried about it we would get paid to match their sigs to a DL or something.

govols019

You smell that?
The only part I don't care for is she adds the number of pkgs received to her signature and then circles that number;

Why would you not care for that?

That must be how they are trained to sign. Mine does it the exact same way.

DS

Fenderbender
We also have the one who can't write in the box and nothing shows up except for a line or two. Then you have to answer the "it didn't show up" question.

What do you say, or do?

Thanks in advance for the replies

I just say hey don't worry about it,you got your package,I get my paycheck,thats all that matters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would you not care for that?

That must be how they are trained to sign. Mine does it the exact same way.

I just don't think it is necessary that she add the number when the number of pkgs is already in the signature screen and she reads how many she is signing for. It's not a big deal.

govols019

You smell that?
Heck, I have one that draws a picture next to her name everyday. Takes a couple of extra seconds but it makes me smile.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I long ago stopped caring whether or not a signature was legible. For those customers who ask, I respond with "the signature is just a formality, it doesnt matter if you can read it or not".

I look at it this way; if UPS cared about legible signatures, they would either (a) provide a DIAD that could obtain one, or (b) allow additional planned time in the day for the lengthy process of collecting, inspecting,verifying, erasing, and re-collecting signatures until they were legible.

Since UPS has chosen to do nothing at all about the problem, I will make the same choice.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
As far as the questions go about signing, mostly I just blow them (questions) off. I don't let it bother me. If it is a repeat customer I will tell them to press hard and write slow.

We have 1 customer that always puts a smiley face next to her name. We have 1 customer that always enters her name and closes the stop out (drivers wife). I always pull the stylus, it irritates the hell out of me when the customer can't find it, so I resolved this issue a looong time ago.

UPSviking

I think it´s funny how you hear the customers say the same things no matter where in the world you are :)

I just tell them not to worry about it, as I will enter their name anyway, got most of them trained now to just make a doodle... :)

old levi's

blank space
As long as they get a couple of marks on the screen I'm good. "What's the last name. See ya, bye."

Totally agree with Upstate on this point: I hand them the DIAD with one hand and the stylus with the other. If I think they have never signed before I have the point of the stylus already touching the screen in the box.

Several years ago I covered a route where a storekeeper had a very unusual name. He would sign in block letters, flip the screen, verify the name and hand me the board for stop complete. And he did it quickly. SWEET

How about those dear ladies that will be working on the computer and talking on the phone but as soon as you walk in they will reach out for that DIAD like it was a little baby. I love those ladies.

And once in a while you get " Can I start over? " Nope. It's a one shot deal. But, We don't grade on penmanship.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If someone asks me if they can "start over", I will take the DIAD shake it like an etch-a-sketch (while deleting their sig and resetting sig screen) and hand it back to them.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
As long as they get a couple of marks on the screen I'm good. "What's the last name. See ya, bye."

Totally agree with Upstate on this point: I hand them the DIAD with one hand and the stylus with the other. If I think they have never signed before I have the point of the stylus already touching the screen in the box.

Several years ago I covered a route where a storekeeper had a very unusual name. He would sign in block letters, flip the screen, verify the name and hand me the board for stop complete. And he did it quickly. SWEET

How about those dear ladies that will be working on the computer and talking on the phone but as soon as you walk in they will reach out for that DIAD like it was a little baby. I love those ladies.

And once in a while you get " Can I start over? " Nope. It's a one shot deal. But, We don't grade on penmanship.
You've quoted me almost verbatim.

If someone asks me if they can "start over", I will take the DIAD shake it like an etch-a-sketch (while deleting their sig and resetting sig screen) and hand it back to them.
That's funny.

The only thing I can add is that my Toys R Us, Gamestop and Casual Male are all required to put the number of pkgs and circle it, according to their MGMT. I don't stress on the clarity, but I will compliment people that sign clear and legible.

rod

Retired 22 years
Does anyone still get comedians that sign Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. I'm guessing not as many as there used to be as half the population probably don't know who Mickey and Donald were.:wink2: I had a customer that could sign her name upsidedown and backwards. It was actually a very ledgible signature once you figured out what was going on. She said she got real good at it in school and would use it to drive her teachers crazy.

ups2000

Does anyone still get comedians that sign Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. I'm guessing not as many as there used to be as half the population probably don't know who Mickey and Donald were.:wink2: I had a customer that could sign her name upsidedown and backwards. It was actually a very ledgible signature once you figured out what was going on. She said she got real good at it in school and would use it to drive her teachers crazy.
i got a guy that signs jim shoe every time