A Question of Loyalty

Been at UPS over 25 years and I'll bet I've had 20 managers. I'm loyal to myself. I show up, do a fair day's work for a fair day's pay, and I go home. That's all. I don't grow attached to any of my sups 'cause I know they won't be my sups for long.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have only ever had one boss that I could say I could have been "loyal" to. They will never make another like him.

My current boss (I hope he's reading this :p) I have zero respect for. He doesn't understand that in order to get respect you have to give respect. And he's never given an ounce of it to any of us. He could die in a fire an I doubt I would be phased.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have only ever had one boss that I could say I could have been "loyal" to. They will never make another like him.

My current boss (I hope he's reading this :p) I have zero respect for. He doesn't understand that in order to get respect you have to give respect. And he's never given an ounce of it to any of us. He could die in a fire an I doubt I would be phased.
Respect is indeed a two way street.
So many in management don't understand that.
Authority comes with a company position ... little else.

UPSGUY72

I'm not loyal to anyone as my soon to be ex ex wife would say or maybe I should say she's wasn't loyal to me any more when she filed for divorce.

I however am loyal to my job not my SUP's. I show up everyday ready to work and give 100% no matter how bad one of my SUP's piss me off I won't sand bag a route just to show them.

If you have or ever had a dog you will know what true loyalty is....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there is only one loyalty and that is to family. remember in the Godfather when Sonny was berating his brother Michael about fighting for his country?

Sonny told him that you are loyal to Blood. nothing else.

true words.

watdaflock?

We should be loyal to our management team but if your boss has the opportunity to blame you instead of accepting responsibility, you're screwed.

SCV good to go sir.

There's this center manager at my hub that treats the drivers very well. He goes out of his way to make things work for us and treats us respectfully. In turn, he has the respect of all the drivers who know him and we're all willing to take on extra work when he asks us. He's also a straight shooter and he told me the following when I mentioned loyalty to a supervisor, "Don't be loyal to anyone here. You look out for yourself first." About a week later a different center supervisor that I get along really well with pretty much sold out a coworker of mine for virtually no reason (hourly grieved it and won). I easily could have been the hourly in that situation, which further drove the point home.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Stop, look at what you are and what your business is for. If you believe its a machine for making you rich then you are going down the wrong road.

If you believe your purpose is to make the world a better place, then do so and wealth will come to you.

Philip Kotler. Classical Economist, trained by Milton Friedman and Paul Samuelson.
Author of "Marketing Management"
Professor, Northwestern University's Kellogg School Of Management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Stop, look at what you are and what your business is for. If you believe its a machine for making you rich then you are going down the wrong road.

If you believe your purpose is to make the world a better place, then do so and wealth will come to you.

Philip Kotler. Classical Economist, trained by Milton Friedman and Paul Samuelson.
Author of "Marketing Management"
Professor, Northwestern University's Kellogg School Of Management.
Key work there is "your".
As far as I know, no one on BC can honestly say UPS is their business.