a question to ft management

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess the supposition here is that the OP must stay in the ranks of the honest and upright drivers.

Sarcasm - I like that.
It has been my observation over the years that "honesty and uprightness" is in the eye of the beholder.
I imagine a lot of the people that voted for Obama did so because they thought Obama was was more "honest and upright" than Romney. LOL

I enjoy these threads and the posts by various BCers because it gives me insight to the kind of person they are.
I just keep filing these "marks" away.

mvol50,
If you are the type of person that is secure in your mental abilities, willing to work hard and most importantly ... put your personal beliefs and desires as secondary and execute the vision and direction of upper level management, then management may work out for you.

Otherwise, stay a driver.
There is nothing shameful about performing physical labor and shrinking away from responsibility and not taking risks.
It is what made America great ... a hundred years ago.

downtime8763

Sarcasm - I like that.
It has been my observation over the years that "honesty and uprightness" is in the eye of the beholder.
I imagine a lot of the people that voted for Obama did so because they thought Obama was was more "honest and upright" than Romney. LOL

I enjoy these threads and the posts by various BCers because it gives me insight to the kind of person they are.
I just keep filing these "marks" away.

mvol50,
If you are the type of person that is secure in your mental abilities, willing to work hard and most importantly ... put your personal beliefs and desires as secondary and execute the vision and direction of upper level management, then management may work out for you.

There is nothing shameful about performing physical labor and shrinking away from responsibility and not taking risks.

Hoaxster, So you saying that a Person who does physical labor is shrinking away from their responsibilities and not taking risks ? ANYONE who does their job to the best of their ability,is a positive messenger for their employer,helps those when doing their job in the community has everything to be proud about.This is what made America great starting two thousand years ago and he was a carpenters Son.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sarcasm - I like that.....
......mvol50, If you are the type of person that is secure in your mental abilities, willing to work hard and most importantly ... put your personal beliefs and desires as secondary and execute the vision and direction of upper level management, then management may work out for you.

Sarcasm--I like that.

A more accurate statement might be...."if you are the type of person who will be happy to supress your own intelligence, forsake logic and common sense, and mindlessly obey Corporate directives... regardless of how destructive or obviously idiotic they might be...then management may work out for you."

And as to your assessment of a driving career as "shrinking away from responsibility" and being "free of risks"...we who drive are responsible for the safe operation of a $30,000 motor vehicle up to 14 hrs a day in all weather conditions, as well as being responsible for the accurate delivery and pickup of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise while maintaining a professional demeanor and a productive workpace. Free of risks? We who drive are never more than one serious injury away from being permanantly unemployed.

If you are going to dispense career advice, perhaps a more balanced viewpoint might be beneficial.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sarcasm--I like that.

A more accurate statement might be...."if you are the type of person who will be happy to supress your own intelligence, forsake logic and common sense, and mindlessly obey Corporate directives... regardless of how destructive or obviously idiotic they might be...then management may work out for you."

And as to your assessment of a driving career as "shrinking away from responsibility" and being "free of risks"...we who drive are responsible for the safe operation of a $30,000 motor vehicle up to 14 hrs a day in all weather conditions, as well as being responsible for the accurate delivery and pickup of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise while maintaining a professional demeanor and a productive workpace. Free of risks? We who drive are never more than one serious injury away from being permanantly unemployed.

If you are going to dispense career advice, perhaps a more balanced viewpoint might be beneficial.

Nice try to deflect from the point - I've seen better by high schoolers.

Anyway, I wasn't serious ... I just thought I would join in with the stupid and childish posts that others have been making on this thread.

Sorry if you don't like the tit-for-tat ... stupid is as stupid does.

It's all amusing ... especially reading and laughing at this goober thread.

PS - Read the thread title -a question to ft management

Rallyguy

Sarcasm--I like that.

So when you are out in your car do you choose what packages you deliver?

Do you make your own route and pick and choose what order you deliver and pick ups in?

Do you leave packages on your truck if there is too much work, or do you try and get everything off the truck even though it might not be as safe for you or the company?

or do you mindlessly obey and process what is loaded on to your truck?

Unless you are on the board of directors, ALL UPS employees mindlessly obey whatever work we are given. Management and hourly.

Buck Fifty

I am not sure how you guys get a such a distorted view of management but you do not have to lie, cheat and steal be a successful manager.

I am sure you can tell me how many management people you have seen come and go, just like I can tell you how many employees I have seen come and go including the ones I used to work with.

I am qualified to judge which job I would prefer since I was a driver for 10+ years and now I am in management. UPS asks a lot of you as an hourly and asks a lot of me in management so both have challenges, since I have experienced both, I prefer the management job.

Dragon

You went to management cause you couldn't cut it as a driver then, which confirms you couldn't cut it today .

Buck Fifty

Nice try to deflect from the point - I've seen better by high schoolers.

Anyway, I wasn't serious ... I just thought I would join in with the stupid and childish posts that others have been making on this thread.

Sorry if you don't like the tit-for-tat ... stupid is as stupid does.

It's all amusing ... especially reading and laughing at this goober thread.

PS - Read the thread title -a question to ft management

Sober would and could be an exceptional FT manager. You fail to see this because your hypnotized by your ego. Now where did I put that duct tape !

soberups

So when you are out in your car do you choose what packages you deliver?

Do you make your own route and pick and choose what order you deliver and pick ups in?

Do you leave packages on your truck if there is too much work, or do you try and get everything off the truck even though it might not be as safe for you or the company?

or do you mindlessly obey and process what is loaded on to your truck?

Unless you are on the board of directors, ALL UPS employees mindlessly obey whatever work we are given. Management and hourly.

I was on TAW a couple of years ago, and they were using me to shuttle misloads around since I could still drive and handle packages under 20 pounds.

I had a NDA letter for a business, and the plan was for me to meet another driver at the business so that he could deliver it to them before they closed.

The driver was delayed, and couldnt get there by 5:00 when they closed, so I messaged in to the center and told them I would go ahead and deliver it myself since I was already there, I had a DIAD, and the package was a NDA envelope that was below my 20 lb restriction.

My Center Manager told me NOT to deliver it, instead I was instructed to bring the package back to the building so that the driver I was supposed to meet could scan it himself as "missed."

The reason? If I had scanned that package myself and made service on it.....I would have shown up on the operations report as an additional route, and would therefore cause the center to fail to meet its "stops-per-car" quota for the day. Never mind that I was already there...never mind that I was already being paid to shuttle that misload out to the customer....since I was technically on TAW I could drive around all day in a package car and as long as I didnt scan a package with my DIAD my time would be coded out in a manner that didnt make the center look bad on a report.

Unfortunately, this is operations management in a nutshell. To hell with the customer, to hell with service, to hell with common sense or logic. In todays UPS, if you are told by your superior to generate a number on a report you had by God better generate it...even if it means intentionally missing service on a Next Day Air package.

The OP of this thread asked a legitmate question about the pros and cons of going into full time operations management. All I did was to offer my perspective on what that choice might entail.

Last edited:

downtime8763

Hoaxster, So you saying that a Person who does physical labor is shrinking away from their responsibilities and not taking risks ? ANYONE who does their job to the best of their ability,is a positive messenger for their employer,helps those when doing their job in the community has everything to be proud about.This is what made America great starting two thousand years ago and he was a carpenters Son.
I feel the the company has lost track in what what it takes to deliver to our customers as the learn it all in 31 days. But then again it starts from the top down and fewer and fewer of our upper management have even delivered for 31days. When you elect a president who is a fundraiser(a good one )to run a country he shouldn't be expected to be a good President just someone who can spend something he has never earned him self.

Last edited:

soberups

Sober---did you do the right thing and deliver the package or did you work as directed and contribute to the falsification?

There was no falsification.

I worked as directed and brought the package back to the center, where another driver sheeted it as "missed."

My point in bringing this incident up is simply to make the OP aware of the sort of institutionalized stupidity he may be forced to participate in if he chooses a career in management.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sober would and could be an exceptional FT manager.

Sober would never agree to be a UPS FT manager because then he would not be able to criticize all the things that others implement and execute and he would no longer be able to live in his world where he has such brilliant insight based on the perfection of his abilities.

I think he would be a great teacher myself.

soberups

Sober would and could be an exceptional FT manager.

Sober would never agree to be a UPS FT manager because then he would not be able to criticize all the things that others implement and execute and he would no longer be able to live in his world where he has such brilliant insight based on the perfection of his abilities.

For the most part I agree, except for the part about the "brilliant insight based upon my perfect abities."

Im not perfect, and dont claim to be. I would probably fail at being a UPS manager for the simple reason that I would rather solve the underlying problem instead of wasting all my time and energy trying to assign blame for it.

soberups

Placing expectations or assigning the responsibility for an outcome to a person without also granting that person the requisite level of authority to carry that assignment out is an act of corporate cowardice.

UPS is, unfortunately, a culture of corporate cowardice.

The level of mistrust that corporate has towards its operations- level management borders on outright paranoia. UPS would be a much more productive and efficient company if it promoted a culture of empowerment instead.

Empowered people make smart decisions. Frightened people make stupid ones.

Buck Fifty

Translation : Blah, Blah, Blah....... Your right !

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
There was no falsification.

I worked as directed and brought the package back to the center, where another driver sheeted it as "missed."

My point in bringing this incident up is simply to make the OP aware of the sort of institutionalized stupidity he may be forced to participate in if he chooses a career in management.

Actually there was a falsification here but it wasn't in the recording of the pacakge. The falsification is not reporting you as a service provider on road that day. If you're on road shuttling misloads around you're a service provider whether you had stops or not. In order for you to have been kept out of the stops per car number your time had to be coded in a way that violated reporting rules. Your manager was dirty here and it irritates me to take butt kickings for missing stops per car when I know other managers are cheating.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Actually there was a falsification here but it wasn't in the recording of the pacakge. The falsification is not reporting you as a service provider on road that day. If you're on road shuttling misloads around you're a service provider whether you had stops or not. In order for you to have been kept out of the stops per car number your time had to be coded in a way that violated reporting rules. Your manager was dirty here and it irritates me to take butt kickings for missing stops per car when I know other managers are cheating.
My center was famous for this. I can't even begin to tell you the stories I know because I was naive and have since learned. My on-car was 'demoted' to on-car from being my center manager for the number game. Our brand new DM is in the building once a week. I laugh because he is implementing changes we have all begged for. Go figure, they are working. He does have his own #'s to worry about.