A Safety Moment We Might All Ponder

wkmac

Safety Check.jpg
Safety Check.jpg

TheDick

We do a three side check right?
+1 on where where the parents?
Every fathers day you hear about dad or mom backing there vehicle over their kid!

rod

Retired 22 years
Like UPS is going to allow drivers the time it takes for a full "circle of safety" walk around at each stop. Dream on.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Like UPS is going to allow drivers the time it takes for a full "circle of safety" walk around at each stop. Dream on.

Our new center manager said we needed to do a full circle check after showing this picture. I brought that up to one of my on cars and he laughed it off

Cementups

Box Monkey
This kid's parents need a firm katana up their asses.

We do a three side check right?
+1 on where where the parents?
Every fathers day you hear about dad or mom backing there vehicle over their kid!

Do you guys have your own kids? It is near impossible to keep an eye on your child every single second. If you do and you can do that, then props to you. Many times my kids will be doing absolutely nothing and as soon as you turn your back for a micro second, you hear a thud followed by an "ow". It doesn't take much. Think before you make stupid comments.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
As I pull up to a stop, I will count the number of small kids or dogs that are nearby. When I get back in my package car, I make sure that I know where every single one of them are.

DS

Fenderbender
They handed that photo out at the pcm about 2 months ago.
I try to avoid kids and even cats and dogs,I do love coke cans and sealed empty water bottles though.
I occasionally have to scare the crap out of an old guy with his electric wheelchair,those dudes think they are entitled.
"Driving safe is no accident"....sorry

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Children can get into trouble by themselves, parents are there to prevent this. You know your children better then anyone and know if they know the dangers of automobiles and playing in and around them. If your child doesn't know these dangers then perhaps knowing this you should pay extra attention to their whereabouts when playing outside near the street.
You can only do so much but a child this young in the picture should have an adult supervising him/her unless of course this vehicle was parked in the center of a fenced in playground. I'm guessing this vehicle was parked near a road where obviously other vehicles were moving or parked. I could also imagine that this isn't the first time this child has been caught playing in or around other vehicles without adult supervision to correct this behavior.
Speaking from my point of view with two children in double digits, I teach my children dangers and morals so when I am not around they will know what to do and what not to do. This child obviously wasn't taught these lessons and isnt being watched by said parents in an obviously dangerous environment. Yes, I blame the parents with regard of lack of teaching children and supervising children. I'm sick of parents letting someone else raise their children be it government or something on TV. Parents need to start parenting instead of older kids raising younger ones.

/rant off

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While mine are safely grown, I will say I never worried about something like this. As soon as they are old enough to know what No means, same with kids as dogs. Dont go in the road, dont go near vehicles, and we only play hide and seek in the yard.
yes I know they are quirky little creatures, but they have to know early what is Ok and what is not. This kid was never told that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree, and it happens and I count the heads and the dogs too. But did any of you ever have a kid, and toild him/her. Stay away far away from cars, trucks, trains buses? And its not OK to climb on peoples cars, or ride your bike near it? It is about respecting things bigger than you. Its about not talking to strangers. Its about a whole lot of things that are no longer done in many households. I heard of this happening in my center before I came to it. I would be devastated. But it begins and ends with discipline. Yeah, they might get mad at you for swatting their butt, or hurting their little psychie. Some things are just important enough to instill early, daily, constantly.