A small nugget of what is sure to be many changes in the coming weeks

Ricochet1a

Oberstar was a democrat from Minnesota on the transportation committee , Fred's number one enemy for years.

I know it may be a bit much to ask, but this whole conversation was carried out in EXTREME detail in this forum in late 2010 and into early 2011 - you may want to give it a look. I gave a blow by blow account of what was going on, in a vain attempt to help motivate enough people to start signing cards and halt the downward slide going on at Express. The rest is now literally history.

vantexan

Actually democrat oberstar had the bill passed in the house, two republican senators from Tennessee filibustered the bill in the senate which garnered national attention because of the families of the buffalo commuter crash pleas to pass the bill..

Oh we're all aware of all that. But after $25 million or thereabouts was spread around in donations there just wasn't enough Democrat support to override the filibuster. And the Democrat Congressman from Memphis was adamantly against the bill his fellow Democrat got passed in the House.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Ahhh, we're all screwed anyway, they got what they wanted, us all arguing amongst ourselves....
maybe the next generation will catch up with Fred's b.s......

vantexan

swing drivers are now the ones being displaced. i have worked barely 30 hours for the last 2 months. how will we be placed into this "new system"

Had a swing tell me the other day that he wasn't getting hours. Said we now have 6 swings. We're not that big of a station.

mitchel

What I said was the long crazy hours you mentioned just won't work in many stations. Smaller window. And you can't get around the huge mountain called the economy. The topped out couriers hanging on until Social Security are in a much better position to do so than younger couriers making much less. If I were at B payscale top-out, $22.57hr, and told I was not going to get more than 40 but will get at least 35hrs I'd shrug and deal with it. Where am I and 10's of thousands of others going to go and make that much right away and have 4 or 5 weeks of vacation, plus personals and floating holidays, sick pay bonus, and a couple of little bonuses? The young guys are going to get discouraged and there may be some serious anger repercussions. Heck, a topped out courier on 35hrs still makes more than I do on 40.

This is already happening. There are 20 plus year employees here who are having their routes become partime, p1 only. While there are routes with employees with a less than five working all day. What fedex is doing is not right, the way they are going about it is not right..Someone is making money...Fred and higher ups, stockholders. Its not the ones actually delivering that are anymore

mitchel

Not happening here. Full time routes that become pt time p1 only are getting the overflow and pup routes over swing drivers now.

vantexan

This is already happening. There are 20 plus year employees here who are having their routes become partime, p1 only. While there are routes with employees with a less than five working all day. What fedex is doing is not right, the way they are going about it is not right..Someone is making money...Fred and higher ups, stockholders. Its not the ones actually delivering that are anymore

Are they still getting their guaranteed 35hrs? It's sounding like a huge age discrimination suit if FedEx is targeting older couriers.

mitchel

Are they still getting their guaranteed 35hrs? It's sounding like a huge age discrimination suit if FedEx is targeting older couriers.

They are if they agree to take long breaks and deliver anywere in the valley or do a pup rt they dont know. The displaced fulltimers are becoming new swings without swing pay

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
P.S. If they aren't losing money then they are making money. If you can make almost $2 billion in profit in this economy then I'd say that's pretty decent.

$2 billion profit from $40 billion in revenue is not the same as $2 billion profit from $10 billion in revenue or $2 billion profit from $100 billion in revenue.

Using your line of thought, all 3 of the above are equally successful. They're not.

59 Dano

Just a quick google search brings up articles more closely resembling this FedEx profit soars despite restrained volume growth; company orders 27 new 767s � The Commercial Appeal
Rather than doom and gloom.
This is an orchestrated long term plan to destroy one profitable company, with actual good paying family jobs where one spent their career, to instead a ragtag bunch of constantly rotating drones with no benefits or future, all in the search not for survival, but for pure greed to the extreme.
Not very moral...

We're talking about the Express division specifically. It makes about 5 bucks in profit from every $100 in sales. Not impressive, and definitely not "soaring" because Express has been operating at that level for the last 3 fiscal years.

59 Dano

What do you think they mean when their answer to the economic mess is to "cut regulation"? If the Wall Street debacle has proven anything, it is that companies will not "self regulate" when profits are threatened.

It proved that no one cares as long as people are making money. No one cared about Wall Street (in this sense) until the housing market was saturated and there wasn't any more money left to lend to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who decided to get into the real estate business. The mindset was you've got to be a fool to not jump in and make a few bucks. The marked peaked, people started losing their butts, and we collectively decided --since we didn't like the outcome any more-- that Wall Street and the business world screwed us. Ha ha! With relatively few exceptions everyone was playing by the rules and operating within federal regulations.

You cannot regulate, control, or contain the phenomenon of irrational exuberance.

/pet peeve

SmithBarney

The option is still available. I scanned a Ground package on Thursday.

Unfortunately I thought I was doing "good" by scanning grounds at my dropboxes, however the scans aren't linked to
anything, they don't show up anywhere in the system. So I've stopped doing that.

mitchel

Unfortunately I thought I was doing "good" by scanning grounds at my dropboxes, however the scans aren't linked to
anything, they don't show up anywhere in the system. So I've stopped doing that.

ive done the same thing, being a swing it is very common to find a stack of ground packages..also usps mail in dboxes, i take the usps things and drop them inside when its a postal dbox site, and bring back the ground pack

its not the customers fault they are stupid, most see it as a fedex dbox and use it. ....the post office stuff is stupid, but i still take it inside

SmithBarney

I guess I should have said "I've stopped scanning them" I still pup them because of my 8 dropboxes I get 2-3 ground pieces a day(each box).. my CSA loves me.

mitchel

QUOTE=fredly00;980586]I guess I should have said "I've stopped scanning them" I still pup them because of my 8 dropboxes I get 2-3 ground pieces a day(each box).. my CSA loves me.[/QUOTE]

there are a couple of routes that i do where the ground driver and fedex have a system where they meet and exchange packages. the customers know they can give either or to one of them. i only do that on the couple of routes that i know have a working agreement

mitchel

and btw..im a ft swing driver just under 20 years...im going into thursday with almost 17 hrs worked.. every route, overflow pup route, etc..is going to displaced couriers who had their routes cut to p1 only. swings are the ones getting screwed now

SmithBarney

I'm PT and have booked 45+hrs the past two weeks, and I'm heading for another 45hrs this week. ;) I'll take what I can get, sure beats the welfare(food stamps)

Mitchell, I once chewed out a Ground driver for taking an Express package. It was a POS box, falling apart. He tried to give it to me. I told him it might be ok for a Ground Package to look like that, but at Express we would never have accepted it. Seriously imagine the worst looking box you've ever seen, it was twice as bad.