A Trojan Horse in Higher Education

wkmac

Because I’m in the racket mistakenly called “higher” education, I pay a little bit of attention to such figures whenever they swim into my ken. (“Deeper” education would be a better moniker—if the education on offer were actually deeper.) But the figures interest me only because they flatter a certain conviction I have: namely, that there are way too many people in college.

I hope the reader will be generous enough to believe that I don’t make this remark out of snobbishness. Much as I would sometimes like to be a snob, I can never quite convince myself that what I do is important enough to merit snobbery. I say it, rather, out of a firm belief that college has essentially become a training ground for vandals.......

So, given the configuration of our economy, there is a link between education and earning potential. Someone stop the press.
But a question worth asking is: what do highly educated people do with that average annual salary?
The evidence suggests that, by and large, they use it to live peripatetic lives—lives, that is, that are inimical to the health of any given place. And, not surprisingly, the places that, by and large, they inhabit are hardly worth caring about. We have generated and facilitated an immense amount of despair by building vinyl-lined cul-de-sacs on old corn fields for these “successful” people to commute from and briefly reside in until they move to another one. We’ve also had to provide their children with massive infusions of Prozac.

WOW!