Abusive Drivers/Hourlies

• Thread starter Anon Lower Management
  • Start date
A

Anon Lower Management

I hear a lot of griping about abusive management, but what about abusive drivers and hourlies.

I mean, I have been shouted at, cursed, and had my personal space violated so many times it isn't funny. I have been called everything, and had personal verbal attacks made on my family. I have had my integrity questioned.. actually abused, and if I make a comment.. half the time the next words out of their mouths are racism or management abuse.

To boot, I often see these people doing things that just make no business sense. There is a serious sense of entitlement that runs through a lot of these people. I really don't know what to do. I need my job, and I want to advance someday so I try very hard to stay out of as much of this stuff as I can. But I see it and wonder if this is the same company that all the history talks about.

To balance this, let me say that I have good relations with quite a few non-management personel in my center, better than with most of the management people.

So does anyone else see this? Think it is wrong? Feel bad that this is the way things are?

-Chicken --- because I want a life @ ups

rod

Retired 22 years
Get used to it bubba. Like management used to tell me when I first started and thought crying would do some good " McDonnalds is hiring"

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I hear a lot of griping about abusive management, but what about abusive drivers and hourlies.

I mean, I have been shouted at, cursed, and had my personal space violated so many times it isn't funny. I have been called everything, and had personal verbal attacks made on my family. I have had my integrity questioned.. actually abused, and if I make a comment.. half the time the next words out of their mouths are racism or management abuse.

To boot, I often see these people doing things that just make no business sense. There is a serious sense of entitlement that runs through a lot of these people. I really don't know what to do. I need my job, and I want to advance someday so I try very hard to stay out of as much of this stuff as I can. But I see it and wonder if this is the same company that all the history talks about.

To balance this, let me say that I have good relations with quite a few non-management personel in my center, better than with most of the management people.

So does anyone else see this? Think it is wrong? Feel bad that this is the way things are?

I HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA AS I HAVE MGT THAT WONT PUT A STOP TO ABUSIVE DRIVERS. ( OR 1 ) IVE HAVE GRIEVANCES PENDING AND AN INJUNCTION ON HAND. THE BIGGEST DECISION IS HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PUT UP WITH? AFTER BEING ABUSED BY A MALE DRIVER REPEATEDLY AND FILING ON IT REPEATEDLY I FINALLY HAD TO GO OUTSIDE OF THE SYSTEM TO GET ANY RELIEF

LKLND3380

Doccumnet what was said and all witnesses...

If you are a supe and you have drivers OR hourlies being abusive to you... Grab a Union Steward and go into a office and have a discussion about it. Doccument the discussion and DO NOT OFFER THE HOURLY or DRIVER a chance to sign... They will RTS it... Have the Steward sign...

If it keeps up, ask the Union BA to come in and meet with you and the hourly... Explain that there is a problem and you want to avoid writing anyone up but this person is pushing you towards that... Explain that the UPS TEAMSTERS AGREEMENT is very specific about treating each other with respect.

If the Steward and the Union BA cant talk sense into this person then when the person is suspended and /or terminated no one can say you didn't try...

mikestrek

Good point. I guess it does work both ways. I always say hang in there and don't let Idiots dictate my life.

Drivers, in general, are the worst. The whiners are the most unprofessonal people at ups.

Do you want to see a bunch of grown men cry and whine like a bunch of girls? Go to Feeders. These guys are the biggest bunch of whining, backstabbing, trash talking people I have ever seen. If another feeder driver gets more OT than him, they whine about it. If their run takes too long, they whine about it. You name it, they whine about it. They keep tabs on each other like you wouldn't believe. I was a shifter for 5 years and it was the same ole story every night. Package drivers ain't got nothing on these guys.

disneyworld

A typical response from management is "If you don't like the way things are then quit". Ever hear the saying "a product of your environment"?

raceanoncr

Do you want to see a bunch of grown men cry and whine like a bunch of girls? Go to Feeders. These guys are the biggest bunch of whining, backstabbing, trash talking people I have ever seen. If another feeder driver gets more OT than him, they whine about it. If their run takes too long, they whine about it. You name it, they whine about it. They keep tabs on each other like you wouldn't believe. I was a shifter for 5 years and it was the same ole story every night. Package drivers ain't got nothing on these guys.

Gee, thanks!

Mr Shifter

:cool:hands down we are the whinest group i have ever been a part of. Since day one up till last nite it was been a constant struggle/argument on who has more senority over everything from which vehicle to get in to who gets to take break first and even the infamous OT!!!!!

Lobofan5

I actually had to hear a grown man..45-50 years old BITCH and COMPLAIN that... .

"It isn't FAIR".

OMG my CHILDREN use that one.

Hehe, I'm glad you can see the humor. My intention was not to offend anyone, I was just stating my opinion. If I didn't witness this firsthand I would not have made the post. For the most part, they are a nice bunch of guys who just get wrapped up in their own style of workplace drama. They also usually have great stories to tell - just ask a feeder driver about the last road show he got.

keith lestrange

hey dude

im sorry to say get used to it
im a pkg car driver in dublin,ireland and i was told if i didnt like theres the door !!!!
im with ups 7 years and im told that-i know giys are ups alot longer than that but it really shows your just a number thank god there if fedex !!!!:sad:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
IM A FEEDER DRIVER AND MY AC UNIT WAS ONLY COOLING DOWN MY TRACTOR TO 60 DEG THIS SUMMER !!!!FOR CHRIST SAKES I WAS MISERABLE ONE DAY I DROVE A HUNDRED MILES TO PORTLAND MAINE AND MY ICE CUBES MELTED IN MY SOFT DRINK !!!!!! HOW CAN I WORK ALL NITE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS???? I DON'T KNOW!! I ALSO HAD A LOOSE WIRE ON MY FRIGGEN AM/FM RADIO AND MISSED HALF THE SOX GAME WHILE THE SENIOR GUYS LAUGHED AT ME IN THEIR NEW TRACTORS AND GREAT NEW SHINEY DOGS ON THEIR HOODS. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE !!!!! whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaa!!

Fredless

APWA Hater
Doccumnet what was said and all witnesses...

If you are a supe and you have drivers OR hourlies being abusive to you... Grab a Union Steward and go into a office and have a discussion about it. Doccument the discussion and DO NOT OFFER THE HOURLY or DRIVER a chance to sign... They will RTS it... Have the Steward sign...

I disagree, I work in a building thats right down I-4 from you and our management always offers the employee to sign it. How can they not? I've had some guys sign things I strongly advise them not to. And like RTS really matters anyway, that doesn't mean they'll retract discipline. It helps your case yes, because if the employee happens to sign it the company takes the posistion that the employee agrees with it. My favorite one is when they have that separation form ready and throw it in with the PITS file and other written accounts when an employee commits a cardinal sin in Article 52 of our supplement. If they sign that separation form, management here takes the posistion that the employee voluntarily quit and its very difficult to even get a term. greivance won in the employees favor at that point.

over9five

Staff member
Woodsys right. I, too was driving to Portland the other night, AND because some schmuck part timer was slacking and my load wasnt ready on time, I HAD TO TAKE MY LUNCH IN KENNEBUNK 10 MINUTES AFTER MY 5TH HOUR!!!

I was really upset! This is totally unacceptable!

tieguy

Banned
This subject comes up quite a bit in a variety of ways. To me it still comes down to basic relationships. If you don't like the way someone talks to you then pull them off to the side and tell them.

Second treat them the way you want to be treated.

LKLND3380

I disagree, I work in a building thats right down I-4 from you and our management always offers the employee to sign it. How can they not? I've had some guys sign things I strongly advise them not to. And like RTS really matters anyway, that doesn't mean they'll retract discipline. It helps your case yes, because if the employee happens to sign it the company takes the posistion that the employee agrees with it. My favorite one is when they have that separation form ready and throw it in with the PITS file and other written accounts when an employee commits a cardinal sin in Article 52 of our supplement. If they sign that separation form, management here takes the posistion that the employee voluntarily quit and its very difficult to even get a term. greivance won in the employees favor at that point.

That was my point "DO NOT OFFER THE HOURLY or DRIVER a chance to sign... They will RTS it... Have the Steward sign..."

The hourly should not sign ANYTHING at UPS other than their check...