Advice for a new and concerned employee!

chief92

Hello all,

I started working the preload shift at a local sort about a week ago and I have a few questions. I figured this would be a good place to ask and hopefully get some good answers.

First off, I kind of feel like I got the classic "bait and switch" from the UPS HR rep. The job posting was for what I think is the typical part time AM preload. It said the pay was $9.50/hr and it mentioned the various benefits that are available (health insurance, 401K, tuition assistance, etc.). I applied online and then when I got to the interview she said that the position is actually only seasonal (about 2.5 months), pays only $8.50/hr and there are no benefits. I am a college student and I really need the job so I took it even though the compensation/benefits were not what I expected. However, after working for over a week I feel like the pay is far too low for the hours and the physicality. I am really not interested in the benefits other than possible tuition assistance but $8.50 for that kind of work and the early morning hours seems ridiculous. Is this normal or am I being taken advantage of?

As the new guy, I have worked in a few different areas. Apparently my role is to just fill in for people who call in or took time off. I have spent a few days doing package cars and they had someone working with me to show me the ropes. I have gotten more proficient each day but trying to keep up loading 4 cars just seems crazy. Twice, toward the end of the shift when the last trailer has been unloaded, I have gotten absolutely slammed to where there is a constant stream coming off the belt to where I can't even load all i can do is stack out. These have been several bulk stops that come all together and in a matter of about 15 mins it gets to where there are so many boxes that it is difficult to make enough room to slide up and down the belt. When they get loaded two of the cars are generally filled front to back and almost to the ceiling. Keeping up with four cars at the speed of the belt seems difficult enough without getting hit by several bulk stops at the same time. With the two of us both working, we still end up stacking out quite a bit. I am very concerned because tomorrow I will be on my own since someone will be gone and there is just enough people to cover all the areas. Is this normal and does anyone have any tips on how to keep up and not be stacking out (especially when the bulk stops come)?

Finally, is there not any formal orientation or safety training? The first day I arrived I was immediately put to work loading. The only training was just someone showing me what to do. I was told I would be watching some videos and going over safety precautions and such. Once again, is this normal?

Ultimately, I am just trying to get a feel for what other people have experienced and hopefully get some good advice. Everything has seemed a bit overwhelming and sketchy to say the least. Thanks in advance!

Yes this is all normal. The job isn't that great. It down right sucks to start out at ups now days. The pay is terrible no benifits for a year and those early morning hours suck to. McDonalds is hiring probably and the pay is the same.

S

splozi

McDonalds is hiring probably and the pay is the same.

I wish people would stop saying that. I don't know what kind of money-bags cities you all live in, but McDonald's isn't going to pay anyone above min. wage around here.

To the OP, the only thing to look forward to in this job is the health insurance and the possibility of earning good money driving. Seeing how you were hired on as a temp, you have absolutely nothing to look forward to except weight loss. Typical new hires get 9.50/hr loading package cars. The only explanation I can possibly imagine for your 8.50 is that you are a temp. I'm not sure what the union contract says about this.

My recommendation would be to start looking for another job. Once you have found something promising, inquire about the possibility of being hired on permanently at UPS. If they say it isn't possible, advise them that you are putting in your two-week notice. However, once you do that, plan on never working at UPS again. If that is a concern, finish the 2.5 months work.

chief92

I wish people would stop saying that. I don't know what kind of money-bags cities you all live in, but McDonald's isn't going to pay anyone above min. wage around here.

To the OP, the only thing to look forward to in this job is the health insurance and the possibility of earning good money driving. Seeing how you were hired on as a temp, you have absolutely nothing to look forward to except weight loss. Typical new hires get 9.50/hr loading package cars. The only explanation I can possibly imagine for your 8.50 is that you are a temp. I'm not sure what the union contract says about this.

My recommendation would be to start looking for another job. Once you have found something promising, inquire about the possibility of being hired on permanently at UPS. If they say it isn't possible, advise them that you are putting in your two-week notice. However, once you do that, plan on never working at UPS again. If that is a concern, finish the 2.5 months work.

Sounds like some pretty good advice! It really seems to me that they are hiring me as what they called "seasonal" simply for a reason to pay me less. It is clear they are trying to hire some more people and this isn't really the busy season. They said they would look at what openings they have available and evaluate my performance after the seasonal period and I could possibly move to permanent. I think I will take your advice and keep looking for another job and then see about moving to permanent. I am pretty confident that if I keep looking I could find a much easier job for $8.50. I went with UPS since they contacted me as soon as I put an application in and was hired shortly thereafter.

I am kind of bummed to here that this is typical. I figured everything would be a little better since UPS is such a large, reputable company. Oh well, what are you gonna do? Life goes on...

S

splozi

I am kind of bummed to here that this is typical. I figured everything would be a little better since UPS is such a large, reputable company.

The work you described is typical, yes. We have permanent part timers at my center that are basically "floaters". They are sent around to do different things as needed. I'm not sure how typical this whole seasonal thing is though, at this time of year. I think you are right when you say they hired you in this fashion just to pay you less. The turnover rate at UPS is extremely high. It is very likely that a new hire won't make it past a few weeks tops. It's very possible that management at your center is pulling this seasonal bs to feel out the new hires before offering them permanent employment.

Also, I think the lack of training for seasonal hires is normal. It's their way of saving money. Rather than pay you for ~3 days of training at a rate of 9.50/hr, it's cheaper to throw you directly into the circus at 8.50 - especially since the chances a new hire won't make it is very high.

Now that you've seen what type of work is involved here, you need to figure out if this is what you want to do, even if you are hired on permanently at the normal pay rate, keeping in mind that you would receive a $1 raise after 90 days, and yearly from that point (as a part timer).