Advice for Seasonal Driver wishing to become Full Time

BriGuy

Hey everyone. I was hired from outside as a seasonal driver on 11/1... I’d estimate that there were about 15 of us, and now that the holidays are over we are down to maybe 6 or less. I came from USPS as a rural carrier and hated it, but I love this (so far) and am extremely interested in becoming a FT driver. My supervisor says I’m “on the good list” in terms of scratching my routes and driving safely. I even got recognized at one of the PCMs for my safe driving by our GM. What’s the best way to get to a FT position? Do I absolutely need to take an inside position to get a shot at a driver position? I was told that as long as the casual drivers get through peak without any accidents that you’ll get called back in the summer to cover vacations and such... and I’ve met some drivers that went from casual to “cover drivers” without needing to work inside at all. Just looking for any advice, including how I bring this up to my supervisors in a professional manor so they consider me for any open positions. TIA

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey everyone. I was hired from outside as a seasonal driver on 11/1... I’d estimate that there were about 15 of us, and now that the holidays are over we are down to maybe 6 or less. I came from USPS as a rural carrier and hated it, but I love this (so far) and am extremely interested in becoming a FT driver. My supervisor says I’m “on the good list” in terms of scratching my routes and driving safely. I even got recognized at one of the PCMs for my safe driving by our GM. What’s the best way to get to a FT position? Do I absolutely need to take an inside position to get a shot at a driver position? I was told that as long as the casual drivers get through peak without any accidents that you’ll get called back in the summer to cover vacations and such... and I’ve met some drivers that went from casual to “cover drivers” without needing to work inside at all. Just looking for any advice, including how I bring this up to my supervisors in a professional manor so they consider me for any open positions. TIA

“on the good list”
Lmao

BriGuy

Geez, if only there were a search function where one could search and see if this were asked before. Man, that would be helpful.

I knew it wouldn’t take long...
I did, but it’s not exactly the easiest thing to search for to find the right results. I also posted the question in the “New Hires, click here” thread a few days ago and nobody responded.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
It all depends on the area you are in, my center is still trying to fill FT driver positions. One thing I have to ask what the hell is a GM? Did you mean center manager? Anyways taking a PT job and being able to sign bids might be the best way to get in for the mean time. A tip I would say is not to get caught up with a good boy trick, if you do your job well they will hire you if there is a need for FT drivers.

UPSCOMPLETESME

Geez, if only there were a search function where one could search and see if this were asked before. Man, that would be helpful.

I knew it wouldn’t take long...
I did, but it’s not exactly the easiest thing to search for to find the right results. I also posted the question in the “New Hires, click here” thread a few days ago and nobody responded.

What building do you work in? Were you asked to go in tomorrow?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They can work you until the second full week of January which is the 19th. After that you are a permanent hire

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
There's really no way to bring it up. If you are not scheduled for the next week (!) then go ahead and call back but very likely, by that point, your best bet is request to work inside for at least the next couple of months.

Heavy Package

Just looking for any advice, including how I bring this up to my supervisors in a professional manor so they consider me for any open positions. TIA

All seriousness - Tell your sups, center manager, preload manager, and HR. At UPS everyone is putting out fires and running around crazy often with an I don't give a crap attitude. But they need bodies to move the boxes. That's where you come in. If you raise your hand and have a positive attitude and aren't high on drugs, they will stick you somewhere to do something.

Remember, though, that you are just a number and today's answer to put out one of their "fires". Most, if not all, will turn on you in a second and crush you if it helps their cause or gets their ass out of a bind. Best of luck.