Advice on retirement

BigBrownTown

Only been with UPS a couple years so I consider myself relatively new. I have a 401k set up. How many years do I need to put in with UPS before I qualify for retirement? Anything else I need to do or suggestions?

rod

Retired 22 years
Only been with UPS a couple years so I consider myself relatively new. I have a 401k set up. How many years do I need to put in with UPS before I qualify for retirement? Anything else I need to do or suggestions?

Being you just started-- the way things are going you should count on working about 70+ years.

sorry--I couldn't resist

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1446729765.021797.jpg

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Job position? Age? Management or non? Full or part time? Need the details.

PT Crazy

For part time.....work min. of 750 hours a year. Then work 25 years and out at any age, 30 and out, and 35 and out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For part time.....work min. of 750 hours a year. Then work 25 years and out at any age, 30 and out, and 35 and out.

Keep in mind that these provisions are for your pension plan and may differ for others.

Unload, Part time, non-management. Age 21.

Start and fund your 401k with at least a 5% contribution. Choose the Bright Horizon fund closer to your target retirement date.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Keep in mind that these provisions are for your pension plan and may differ for others.

Start and fund your 401k with at least a 5% contribution. Choose the Bright Horizon fund closer to your target retirement date.
Did you choose bright horizon on your own or did a financial advisor?? What % growth have you had for the year???

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Did you choose bright horizon on your own or did a financial advisor?? What % growth have you had for the year???
A financial adviser who tells you to put money in a BH fund isn't doing you any favors, which means he's a typical financial adviser.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A financial adviser who tells you to put money in a BH fund isn't doing you any favors, which means he's a typical financial adviser.
I don't know much about bh but I do wish we would have a few more funds to pick from... The market is down for the year especially sp400 and sp500

clean hairy

That you have been here only a coupla years, no one can say.
Going to be (I guess) 5 or more contracts, and who knows what might happen that far into the future?

Put your 401k into the s&p 500 account. Why? 1. lowest management fees. 2. S&P 500 accounts out perform 82% of "managed funds." Put 10% of your check away. Every year when you get a raise in August bump it up a percent until you've maxxed it out. You'll learn to live on less and you'll thank yourself when you finally punch out for the last time. No one ever said "Gee I wish I hadn't saved so much money for retirement." Go to www.firecalc.com and figure out how much you'll need to save to retire. Need $2000 a month? Sock away 625k and call it quits. Pay off your credit cards, cars, and home in that order. Never carry a balance on a card. Never take out a car loan. I made my last car payment in June 1991. I still make the payment, but it goes into my "car account." When I need some wheels, I have cash and can negotiate. Raise independent kids. At 18 they should be paying their own bills. And rent. And college. They have 40 years to pay off student loans you can only save for retirement once. And they won't help you with that so let them handle the college thing. Oh and have them move out. It'll build character.

I'm eligible to retire in 27 months 17 days. I can live comfortably on just my pension. My 401k will be fun money. Social Security, if I get it, will be more fun money. I'm not counting on it. My children are out of the house, and they know they can't come back. My house is paid off. I got a raise of $450 a week after Thanksgiving because I maxxed out my 401k contributions. I'll lose that January first but that's ok.

Spend some time at www.lenpenzo.com and www.mrmoneymustache.com for saving tips, frugal living, and ways to retire early.