Advice

Collinsdad

hey guys I started last week and everything went fine. My day job has, of course, informed me that I have been assigned out of town until 12/13. Do you all have any suggestions for how to handle this? I want to come back, but I have only been there a week! Will I have to quit? Thanks for any advice.

upschuck

More than likely, if you are a good worker, they'll keep you through Christmas, and dismiss you afterwards. That was some bad timing.

quad decade guy

Doesn't sound like your day job pays very well if you are bottom feeding at UPS. But then what about future potential at UPS? $100 k jobs are plentiful....at UPS. Yours?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Doesn't sound like your day job pays very well if you are bottom feeding at UPS. But then what about future potential at UPS? $100 k jobs are plentiful....at UPS. Yours?
No. Rpcd are going to disappear for lower wage 22.4. The only 100k jobs will be feeder, and we will see how long they last. 22.3 jobs are now throwaways here, too. 8 hours preloading with no two distinct jobs. The days of good union jobs and a strong union with UPS are long gone.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
No. Rpcd are going to disappear for lower wage 22.4. The only 100k jobs will be feeder, and we will see how long they last. The days of good union jobs and a strong union with UPS are long gone.

1. The number of RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule in each building, shall be verified and agreed to by each Local Union and the Company Labor Representative, as of August 1, 2018 and shall be protected jobs. “Protected jobs” shall include RPCDs that will continue to be replaced by employees covered under Article 41, Section 2.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Watch that be negotiated out 2023. Rpcds won't last now that the slippery slope of mediocre paying, weekend warrior 22.4s was tested

There is a difference between posting an opinion on the future, and stating something as if it is a fact. Package car drivers are currently ALL protected. And no one from the union that I have heard has said anything about that changing in 2023.

Cynicism for its own sake is not a virtue.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There is a difference between posting an opinion on the future, and stating something as if it is a fact. Package car drivers are currently ALL protected. And no one from the union that I have heard has said anything about that changing in 2023.

Cynicism for its own sake is not a virtue.
Read again - the post I responded to.
"100K + jobs are plentiful". was what I responded to. That by itself is silly, untrue and becoming less so each contract.
Then take into consideration technology, a weak union and part-timers making wage minimums in throw away jobs with ample turnover, who don't vote.

I wasn't speaking as fact, just going by what I see. You may take it a certain way if you want to.

quad decade guy

BTW The whole point of 22.4 was to make rpcd a lower paying position. Burn the 100k+ jobs. How is that not fact? Things that make you go hmmmm

Around here, they are hiring many, many perhaps hundreds of feeder drivers. 50-60 hour feeder jobs

Team jobs etc. So much so that street hires are a fact. Around here, employment opportunities are the

best they've been for decades. Hmmmm.