aetna long term disability transition. (on topic)

8000Shelf

Highly unlikely. Any BA with a sense of decency would almost never NOT sign off on it. It wouldn't be a disagreement with a personal attorney's assessment but the company's offer.

Not every local provides free legal assistance. My local provides more bennies than probably any other in the SE US but we probably couldn't provide open-ended no-cost legal council; we provide an extended consultation with one of the best workman's comp attorneys in the state at no cost to members. ADA accommodations and comp cases are exhaustive and expensive.

That being said, its potentially altering a permanent (single) FT job via accommodations and/or assignments (FT driver being reassigned to being a hub clerk for example) and the union needs to be involved.

Interesting. Hopefully I would never need an accommodation. However in the event I or anyone else did, it
sounds like we will need to consult an attorney, my local union or BA, and the company.

Thank you for the info Piedmont!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Interesting. Hopefully I would never need an accommodation. However in the event I or anyone else did, it
sounds like we will need to consult an attorney, my local union or BA, and the company.

Thank you for the info Piedmont!

For the record, you would absolutely need all three.

You're welcome!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I would think if the requested accommodations are relatively minor and can be handled in house (such as a change in work assignment), it may not be necessary to retain an attorney.

Maybe. The primary answer is going to be "it depends." This would have been a lot more likely 10+ years ago, however.

There was an unwritten rule in my building before I was a steward where pregnant women were given de facto light duty assignments (small sort, reruns, etc. instead of loading/unloading.) Sometime around the early 2000's, corporate absolutely clamped down on it. It's a moot point now with the recent SCOTUS ruling, but still shows you how the company operates on this.

The union could potentially try to demand that a light duty assignment outside of TAW should become a permanent job that should be bid out; that's why TAW only lasts 30 days.

clean hairy

Perhaps someone can check on this, I heard there was an Employee in Mesquite who had only 1 arm and worked as a shifter.
Not sure of the circumstances (off job or on job injury, or if he was hired with only 1 arm)
I have read on here where some deaf folks have been employed by in the Hubs as well.
Might check into that, it could maybe help in your case.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Perhaps someone can check on this, I heard there was an Employee in Mesquite who had only 1 arm and worked as a shifter.
Not sure of the circumstances (off job or on job injury, or if he was hired with only 1 arm)
I have read on here where some deaf folks have been employed by in the Hubs as well.
Might check into that, it could maybe help in your case.

We have 9 or 10 Deaf employees in my building. UPS is actually fairly proactive in hiring Deaf folks, as they don't really require that much of an accommodation (writing instructions instead of verbal, paying for an interpreter during disciplinary hearings). I'm sure it also has nothing to do with the tax credits UPS receives for doing so.

Overpaid Union Thug

Trying again for info.. so I am a bit more than halfway through my 26 weeks of Short Term Disability. The doctor says I may never get out from under lifting restrictions. Since my injury happened off the job (I was honest enough to declare that officially), I understand that I will not return to UPS in any capacity unless given a 100% no restriction note from the doctor.. (according to HRSC)
[Had I lied, I could have Temporary Work$ right now, under my restrictions]

Anyway, I am trying to find out about the transition to Long Term Disability.
If I cannot get out from under the lifting restrictions, UPS policy dictates that I am essentially out of a job. However if my "disability" is only a lifting restriction, would I qualify for LTD?

In my mind there is a big difference between a lift restriction and someone who is Disabled.
I am curious about experiences here.. I will find some way to word my questions to Aetna, however I don't want to have them pull my eligibility based on something stupid that I may or may not say.
Anyone get LTD based on a not-so-disabling event? Thoughts?

I know I will most likely need to find other work. However it would be helpful to have the time to do so after the holidays when more business are looking ahead.

I never made it past 26 weeks of short term disability but according to the contract (Article 34) long term should kick in right after it ends. It doesn't say how (like what forms need to be filled out) though. It does say that if you are on Teamster funded short term disability you need to inform the company of the potential shift from it to their long term disability 60 days in advance. So, if you are in the Southern (and it probably applies to other regions too) Supplement then you should keep that in mind.

AllOnTheHorses

Thank you, I will do that.
I am wondering if anyone gets a smooth transfer to LTD with Aetna. I googled aetna LTD and found literally hundreds of serious complaints. Sounds like a rough ride.
Anyone have anything good to say about their LTD process?

browned out

Aetna was/is very difficult to deal with regarding LTD. Teamcare was great. File for FMLA if UPS has not already placed you on FMLA.

Aetna will try to make it as difficult as possible for you to receive LTD. Aetna required that I file for Social Security Disability even though it is highly unlikely or impossible that I will go on SSDI. If they do that to you; I would make a note on your Social Security Disability App that one of the reasons you are filling SSDI is that Aetna has required you to do so.

Aetna's application is long. Aetna will ask for frequent updates. I would flood Aetna with hundreds of fax pages from your doctors re your disability. In my experience; this method has "helped" Aetna decide that you are not to be friend#@*d with. Aetna approved my claim a few years ago but not until I thoroughly faxed them. WTF What the Fax.... Aetna.

Ridiculous

I am in the western region and have been on Ltd for 6 months. My problem was that I had cervical fusion on my neck back in Sept of 2014. I didn't have many issue's with Aetna and I believe that was because of my surgery and the fact that my recovery is longer than I had anticipated. I started the LTD paperwork process 45 day's before short term disability would have ended. If you have the support of your medical issues I don't see a problem. In my case I am a 60 year old feeder driver so maybe my age a position helps the LTD issue

twoweeled

Trying again for info.. so I am a bit more than halfway through my 26 weeks of Short Term Disability. The doctor says I may never get out from under lifting restrictions. Since my injury happened off the job (I was honest enough to declare that officially), I understand that I will not return to UPS in any capacity unless given a 100% no restriction note from the doctor.. (according to HRSC)
[Had I lied, I could have Temporary Work$ right now, under my restrictions]

Anyway, I am trying to find out about the transition to Long Term Disability.
If I cannot get out from under the lifting restrictions, UPS policy dictates that I am essentially out of a job. However if my "disability" is only a lifting restriction, would I qualify for LTD?

In my mind there is a big difference between a lift restriction and someone who is Disabled.
I am curious about experiences here.. I will find some way to word my questions to Aetna, however I don't want to have them pull my eligibility based on something stupid that I may or may not say.
Anyone get LTD based on a not-so-disabling event? Thoughts?

I know I will most likely need to find other work. However it would be helpful to have the time to do so after the holidays when more business are looking ahead.
I don't know if your transition is the same as all, but! if it is Aetna handling the requirements, remember this! Aetna is there searching for anyway to deny you long term dis. That is what they are searching for. they are not your friend, or trying to be fair. You can apply as early as you want, but chances are, they will wait till the last week to inform you of any decision. Get an Erisa attorney lined up before the last minute. Don't say I didn't warn you. It's day and night, compared to short term dis.

TXgabby

Please help! Does AETNA have the right to force you to apply for SSDI? I am getting threatening letters stating that if I do not apply by a certain date they will reduce my LTD benefits by the amount that they figure I would get if I don't apply. Can they do this when UPS and Teamsters say I do not have to file. The union contract states I get LTD for 5 years. No where does it state I must file for SSDI. Anyone having issues with this? Thanks

twoweeled

Please help! Does AETNA have the right to force you to apply for SSDI? I am getting threatening letters stating that if I do not apply by a certain date they will reduce my LTD benefits by the amount that they figure I would get if I don't apply. Can they do this when UPS and Teamsters say I do not have to file. The union contract states I get LTD for 5 years. No where does it state I must file for SSDI. Anyone having issues with this? Thanks
Really wish I could help you. I just had a headache with Aetna and long term disability. What I did find, is Aetna will do what they want and leave it to you to fight it. I think the agreement you may have to concern yourself with, is the Aetna Contract re long term disability, has with UPS. You may just ask Aetna to provide you with copies stating with they claim? Just a thought. Things like this, might be best in writing, after you ask on the phone to hurry it up? I'm sure it states they have the right to reduce you benefits according if your getting other funds. I just don't know if they can force you to apply. What if you apply and get denied? Sorry, I wish I knew partner. Good Luck!

trickpony1

This is why I encouraged the OP to contact the Insurance Commission.

AETNA will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe.

Is AETNA big enough to disavow/usurp the written language of the contract? "Five years" means five years. The language doesn't say anything about exceptions to that.