Age Discrimination

Katt55

So, at 52 I was hired to do Personal Season Driving. I really enjoyed the work and expressed that I wld love to be a full time Package Delivery Driver. They hired me to work local sort. Then after a few months they have me go to Integrad and I pass and come back and they have me do some AirDriving and Deliveries to get accustomed. I work 2nd shift, mostly do small sort, unloading trucks and loading trucks. After about 2 hours we finish loading and then I load the Air truck and deliver to my pickup guy who then takes them to the airport. I had been doing this for about 5 weeks and then someone younger with less senority who just passed driving school is sent out to train for Delivery Driver. I asked my night Union Steward why he went ahead of me to start delivering? He told me that it was because The Designated Air Driver. I know he is full of :censored2: and is such a suck up to management. I didn't respond but later contacted the head Steward of our Hub. I text him and he never writes me back. I see him the next day at work and he says, "hi" but never came over to talk to me and address the problem. So, I went above his head and contacted the Regional Union Representative. He said he wld make some calls and get back to me. I am not feeling very positive about any back up help. I am a woman and I am not a Spring Chicken, but I work hard and fast...maybe being a Delivery Driver cld be too much for me, but I don't like being lied to and pissed down my back telling me it's raining. Any advice?

Est.1998

So, at 52 I was hired to do Personal Season Driving. I really enjoyed the work and expressed that I wld love to be a full time Package Delivery Driver. They hired me to work local sort. Then after a few months they have me go to Integrad and I pass and come back and they have me do some AirDriving and Deliveries to get accustomed. I work 2nd shift, mostly do small sort, unloading trucks and loading trucks. After about 2 hours we finish loading and then I load the Air truck and deliver to my pickup guy who then takes them to the airport. I had been doing this for about 5 weeks and then someone younger with less senority who just passed driving school is sent out to train for Delivery Driver. I asked my night Union Steward why he went ahead of me to start delivering? He told me that it was because The Designated Air Driver. I know he is full of * and is such a suck up to management. I didn't respond but later contacted the head Steward of our Hub. I text him and he never writes me back. I see him the next day at work and he says, "hi" but never came over to talk to me and address the problem. So, I went above his head and contacted the Regional Union Representative. He said he wld make some calls and get back to me. I am not feeling very positive about any back up help. I am a woman and I am not a Spring Chicken, but I work hard and fast...maybe being a Delivery Driver cld be too much for me, but I don't like being lied to and pissed down my back telling me it's raining. Any advice?
How old are you currently?
Because if you're 55, and trying to adopt pkg as your next job move you might want to reconsider. You'll probably enter as a 22.4 and that job was meant for 18-25 year olds.
Hope this helps

trickpony1

I have always worked circles around younger ppl, did a marathon 2 years ago. I hate being judged by a number.
Be careful what you wish for.
There is much glamor and $$$ associated with RPCD but watch how some of these people walk when they leave in the evening.

Hope this helps.

badpal

I know every center is different, but personal season driving if a new one on me. Were u a PVD driver delivering in your vehicle? But anyway just watch and sign up for any intention or bid sheet that they post. Being 8 years older than u and still doing it , i can tell u the body really starts to go to heck once u pass 55. But best of luck to you.

badpal

Be careful what you wish for.
There is much glamor and $$$ associated with RPCD but watch how some of these people walk when they leave in the evening.

Hope this helps.
I try to keep up on the latest cane . walker and wheelchair technology. because my days coming.

nWo

Did you sign the bid sheet? Are you positive he's training to be a ft driver? Maybe he's training to be seasonal? Maybe he was hired off the street as a driver? Maybe he's training to be an air driver?

If there's a seniority violation then file. But there are possible logical explanations as to why they would take him first.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Did you sign the bid sheet? Are you positive he's training to be a ft driver? Maybe he's training to be seasonal? Maybe he was hired off the street as a driver? Maybe he's training to be an air driver?

If there's a seniority violation then file. But there are possible logical explanations as to why they would
Why you gotta make my route name your username?????

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
So, at 52 I was hired to do Personal Season Driving. I really enjoyed the work and expressed that I wld love to be a full time Package Delivery Driver. They hired me to work local sort. Then after a few months they have me go to Integrad and I pass and come back and they have me do some AirDriving and Deliveries to get accustomed. I work 2nd shift, mostly do small sort, unloading trucks and loading trucks. After about 2 hours we finish loading and then I load the Air truck and deliver to my pickup guy who then takes them to the airport. I had been doing this for about 5 weeks and then someone younger with less senority who just passed driving school is sent out to train for Delivery Driver. I asked my night Union Steward why he went ahead of me to start delivering? He told me that it was because The Designated Air Driver. I know he is full of * and is such a suck up to management. I didn't respond but later contacted the head Steward of our Hub. I text him and he never writes me back. I see him the next day at work and he says, "hi" but never came over to talk to me and address the problem. So, I went above his head and contacted the Regional Union Representative. He said he wld make some calls and get back to me. I am not feeling very positive about any back up help. I am a woman and I am not a Spring Chicken, but I work hard and fast...maybe being a Delivery Driver cld be too much for me, but I don't like being lied to and pissed down my back telling me it's raining. Any advice?
2 questions.

1. Did he or you sign the bid sheet for 22.4 drivers?

2. Was he hired off the street as a 22.4?

If he signed the bid sheet and you did not then that's on you. Nobody will hold your hand at ups. You will find that out quickly.

Now if he was hired off the street before they exhausted all internal employees then you have a case.

542thruNthru

First, stop blaming this on your age or sex. This crap happens all the time to many MANY people.

Second, what supplemental agreement are you under?

Third, are you counting the first day you started as a PVD or the date you actually made seniority? Most areas seasonal work doesn't count.

Fourth, it's a seniority grievance and should be handled pretty easily once all the facts are straight.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Relax a bit...

Sounds like...

And this is just from what I read and interpreted...

Sounds like they actually liked you and put you in a cushy spot.

They could have put you on a crap route and really opened your eyes to the side that you perceive as greener.

So...

Settle down.

Do the job given.

Go home.

Repeat.

Hope this helps.

542thruNthru

Relax a bit...

Sounds like...

And this is just from what I read and interpreted...

Sounds like they actually liked you and put you in a cushy spot.

They could have put you on a crap route and really opened your eyes to the side that you perceive as greener.

So...

Settle down.

Do the job given.

Go home.

Repeat.

Hope this helps.
It doesn't help at all. You advice is as feeble and twisted as a old woman!

Katt55

If there's a seniority violation then file. But there are possible logical explanations as to why they would take him first.
No, we worked side by side in preload.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
I have always worked circles around younger ppl, did a marathon 2 years ago. I hate being judged by a number.
tenor.gif