Am I in the union?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
ive been working at ups for about a month and a half now, union dues and initiation fees have been taken out of my checks. So am I in the union or no?
@chris1224 : You are not "in the Union" until you have 'attained seniority' (sometimes called 'making/made book'), meaning you worked through your probationary hire period without being fired. The probationary period varies around the country; it could be 30, 40, or 70 working days (or some other # I haven't come across yet).

What'dyabringmetoday???

@chris1224 : You are not "in the Union" until you have 'attained seniority' (sometimes called 'making/made book'), meaning you worked through your probationary hire period without being fired. The probationary period varies around the country; it could be 30, 40, or 70 working days (or some other # I haven't come across yet).
Actually, you can join after 30 calendar days- not 30 working days.

rod

Retired 22 years
DCEB3C55-65BA-47D9-9B2D-B8408C88E175.jpeg
We don't get those paper receipts anymore
This is what we used to get. Damn- 15 bucks for Union dues— that’s outrageous.

542thruNthru

Nope. Seniority 30 working days. Can join union after 30 calendar days.

Ok, I'm a little confused. We can pay the invitation fee the first day and that means we joined the union. Where does yours say you have to wait 30 days?

Once you make book you're protected by the union. Before that you're let go as the company sees fit.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Just check out Article 3 section 3. Not trying to fight with you. As an example- casuals never gain seniority but they do join the union. Or did , depending on if you sill have casuals.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Ok, I'm a little confused. We can pay the invitation fee the first day and that means we joined the union. Where does yours say you have to wait 30 days?

Once you make book you're protected by the union. Before that you're let go as the company sees fit.
It doesn't actually say you have to wait- says you have to join on 31st day after starting. Doesn't say after seniority. Either way, I agree- I hope that Big Union Guy....doesn't see any of this. Really not in the mood for all the patting on the back. Lol.

Last edited: