Amazon and Same Day Delivery

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Amazon believes the Next Big Thing is "Same Day Delivery". To do this they will be staging items in each State in order to shorten the time-in-transit.

Amazon's Prime service already offers Next Day delivery for $3.99, and free 2 Day Delivery.

Opportunity for UPS?

BlackCat

I loved it.. Ordered a gift at like 10pm and for 6.00 got it the next day.

It was cheaper (no sales tax)
It would have cost me more then the 6.00 to drive to the store and get.

Whats not to love?

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Amazon believes the Next Big Thing is "Same Day Delivery". To do this they will be staging items in each State in order to shorten the time-in-transit.

Amazon's Prime service already offers Next Day delivery for $3.99, and free 2 Day Delivery.

Opportunity for UPS?

This is one area where I think the Teamsters and UPS need to come up with a creative way to compete. Amazon is building another huge distribution center across the river in Indiana from Louisville, partly for this reason, partly to be even closer to the Air Hub.

Our full time UPS drivers would not be competitive in this market. So, what would the Teamsters suggest as a way to take this volume that is price-competitive with non-union carriers?

rod

Retired 22 years
Its under the name usps

Actually I've had great service with stuff that has been sent through the USPS. For the most part all the shipping companies do a great job but I will say UPS seems to be fading in my area. Hardly anything I order comes UPS anymore. The majority of it comes Fedex Ground and yes they do a great job also.

bluehdmc

I use Amazon Prime, the 2 day that's "free", (well a once a year charge). Some stuff comes UPS, some stuff come from LazerShip, which is probably similar to the OnTrac Upstate mentioned. I guess it depends on which Amazon wearhouse or shipper that does Amazon fufillment it is shipped from.

I got something today that came from an "Amazon Fufillment Services" in Lexington, KY. Checking the tracking # the first scan was when it hit the hub in north jersey.

BrownArmy

Had a conversation with one of these Amazon drivers.

He was working under 'Lasership'.

Paid for his own gas, got paid a little over a dollar for each package he delivered, it all sounded quite hit-and-miss.

He seemed happy to have the work (such as it was), but I can't see how you turn that into a living wage.

Economies of scale, I suppose.

This guy had no benefits to speak of, and intimated that he was having a difficult time affording gas.

Even Mickey-D's has benefits...

p228

Watch for the "no sales tax" to go away.

I actually just noticed that. I preordered No Easy Day last week and I went on their site to check why it still has not shipped. Its backordered, oops.

In doing so I noticed that the grand total it showed me last week at the order checkout and in the confirmation email was different from the total it showed me today. They tacked on the sales tax after the fact.

So, not only do they suck at taking preorders but they don't even charge you what they say they are going to.