Amazon buying fedex.. Whaaat!

vantexan

Tip: Broke people shouldn't try to make financial arguments.
Why not? You're the standard "I'm a mgr, thus I know more than you about everything." Which you've demonstrated repeatedly that you don't. Tip: If you grow a set you won't have to grovel at Fred's feet until you're 70. :)

vantexan

Read their 10K filing. As i said before it will not happen right away. However industry consolidation is a fact of life. Sometimes it's a friendly merger, sometimes it's proxy fight. Sometimes it's a downturn either in a particular space or the economy in general.Visionary's will do things that on the surface cannot be readily explained and X itself is a mixture of acquired companies. Even Verizon has publicly stated that it has an interest in buying Twitter. Most importantly as a Fedex employee you should certainly know by now that change is the only constant and nothing's binding and that's why in today's economy you have to be prepared for anything both good as well as bad.
How would Amazon manage to get their hands on 51% of the stock? It would take a heck of a lot of money.

bacha29

What I am getting Tex is if Amazon were to get X they then could spin off what they don't want say for example Ground freight and HD into it's own new publicly traded company with 49% publicly traded while holding onto 51% controlling interest. Therefore by selling 49% in an IPO they could reduce debt and still have have control over these units. There are so many financing options out there you couldn't describe them all. There are enough investors out there foreign and domestic that might be willing to have a go at it with Amazon. Best thing to do now is to wait and see but rest assured those little ISP ground contractors will have absolutely no say whatsoever in whatever transpires. They never did and they never will

FedGT

rest assured those little ISP ground contractors will have absolutely no say whatsoever in whatever transpires. They never did and they never will

Yeah, because that is relative to anything we are talking about. Good thing you are always wanting to make sure you share your one track mind with your meaningless drivel of hostile takeovers.

bacha29

I take no offense whatsoever with you remarks GT They are a clear testament to your growing realization that as an ISP contractor you are no where near as secure as you have yourself believing you are. In fact just a few moments ago CNBC announced that Amazon is preparing to launch a Uber style delivery service which according to Amazon is an attempt to combat rising shipping costs. Soooo if it is a success for Amazon you never can tell who else might try it. What is for certain is a lot of. those easy in town Amazon stops may be something you don't see much of in the near future And face it, those high stop per hour areas are about the only place where contractors can turn the kind of dollars they simply must have

Fragiledonthrow

I take no offense whatsoever with you remarks GT They are a clear testament to your growing realization that as an ISP contractor you are no where near as secure as you have yourself believing you are. In fact just a few moments ago CNBC announced that Amazon is preparing to launch a Uber style delivery service which according to Amazon is an attempt to combat rising shipping costs. Soooo if it is a success for Amazon you never can tell who else might try it. What is for certain is a lot of. those easy in town Amazon stops may be something you don't see much of in the near future And face it, those high stop per hour areas are about the only place where contractors can turn the kind of dollars they simply must have

https://flex.amazon.com/

bacha29

Thank you Fdt. CNBC is HQed at post 9 on the NYSE. What
they were referring to is the on line offer to people to become the Amazon version of Uber in NYC. No doubt the $18-25 figure they were talking about is 18-25 gross per hour. There will be takers no doubt but the PUC's of a lot states and the insurance companies are going to have something to say about it. This really isn't anything too much different than what X was doing in CA over the Christmas holiday. Having a small panel van sitting around doing nothing would be nice to have in one of those areas.

vantexan

they were referring to is the on line offer to people to become the Amazon version of Uber in NYC. No doubt the $18-25 figure they were talking about is 18-25 gross per hour. There will be takers no doubt but the PUC's of a lot states and the insurance companies are going to have something to say about it. This really isn't anything too much different than what X was doing in CA over the Christmas holiday. Having a small panel van sitting around doing nothing would be nice to have in one of those areas.
If the Uber model is ok then this looks ok too, and pretty darn smart.

vantexan

Is the Uber model ok? Not sure if I've heard of challenges/potential challenges.
I only know what little I've seen online about Uber. Seems to be a real issue with cab companies, obviously. If I were driving for Uber I'd jump on this, packages don't talk.

FedGT

$18-25 gross most people would probably be $12-15 if that and it won't just be gross it will be 1099. Deduct 30% on taxes and pay fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc and the majority would be $6-12 per hour with a lot of pissed off people getting a large tax bill in April.
Could definitely effect some pickups but this is not a huge deal for Ground more for HD I don't get jack worth of Amazon packages.

FedGT

Über is more independent than you. You have to be joking or just absolutely insane!!
Great they are more independent. They are also having a lot more issues than FedEx ISP model. No taxes are being paid out, no commercial insurance is being paid for, etc. The govt was already furious with Uber/Lyft, now with one of the largest companies in the world on the same platform they will be forcing the same rules we have ontrac will probably be included too. No 1099, corporations must be filed, proper insurance coverage will need to be in place.
I have no problem with companies contracting but there can't be any question that all of those need to happen.

bacha29

No doubt people who are not familiar with the costs in curred and the tax liabilities that goes with being a self emplyed individual will no doubt jump on it believing that the 18-25 figure is a labor rate. Then again even if you do know the tax and operating costs if you have a vehicle that can haul more than 6 boxes have a concentrated area and few miles to run and some time on your hands that's not making any money for you it will no doubt be rather appealing.

FedGT

No doubt people who are not familiar with the costs in curred and the tax liabilities that goes with being a self emplyed individual will no doubt jump on it believing that the 18-25 figure is a labor rate. Then again even if you do know the tax and operating costs if you have a vehicle that can haul more than 6 boxes have a concentrated area and few miles to run and some time on your hands that's not making any money for you it will no doubt be rather appealing.
Do completely agree with you. This would be much more appealing to me than driving a person around. Interested to see their vetting process. Can't imagine claims aren't going to be filed on less than 1 out of every 3-4 packages. If they do adopt the same practices we all know it would be a matter of weeks before personal property damage or accidents would roll in 2-10 at a time, how fast would govt shut that down when personal insurance turns their back on every one?

bacha29

I don't see how this could not help but hurt HD guys in the cities especially when it gets into all of the major population centers. Imagine that it does work then it will no doubt go into the smaller population areas leaving X and UPS to take the A mazon boxes that go out to the boonies and those boxes never have and never will be profitable for X or the contractor hauling them out there. Look for contractor drivers who know a given area have some idea of how many Amazon boxes they deliver in a day live close to the area they deliver to decide to have a go at it especially if they are not getting paid much by the contractor they work for.